LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
My B654 - 2007 reg but x244 chassis, failed its mot yesterday due to nearside dipped beam headlight and horn not working. I suppose I should have checked this sort of stuff before taking it!
So today, I am going to check fuses and poor connections first. If they seem ok, it looks like a nearside wheel off, then inner wheel arch off to get at that headlight.
Q. I assume these Hella 90mm units are a sealed halogen unit? If so, they are anyway as dim as a pair of candles (when both were working). While looking last night at replacement Hella lights, I discovered you can get led units, also Hella, which might provide better light. Anyone here have any experience of fitting / using these? Anything I have not thought to check first?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
One hour and six minutes and no answer yet.......come on Funsters liven up!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought some had changed to the led's who have the Hella 90mm units?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Headlight dip bulb is a 12volt 55w H1 on my 2001 B584.
when I change my bulbs I lay on the floor and reach up between bumper and wheel arch, it’s a bit fiddl but easier tha from the top.

OP
OP
Peppadog

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Just checked the horn terminals (I can see and get to them!). No power showing on my meter when pressing the horn button, so horn button in steering wheel or where next??.

OP
OP
Peppadog

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Headlight dip bulb is a 12volt 55w H1 on my 2001 B584.
when I change my bulbs I lay on the floor and reach up between bumper and wheel arch, it’s a bit fiddl but easier tha from the top.
So it a separate bulb in these units is it? I will check your access method manic, thanks.

Off to the dentists first though. Think I would rather be under van in the cold!±!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just checked the horn terminals (I can see and get to them!). No power showing on my meter when pressing the horn button, so horn button in steering wheel or where next??.
Yes if a Fiat then the steering wheel brass roatating stipr is a favourite.
What would be easier just to pass the mot is to fit a separate 12v spring loaded switch in easy reach of the wheel, & wire horn to that.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We recently had a problem on our yeti, with the horn and some steering wheel controls not working AND airbag warning light. Turned out to be the clock spring aka squib, rotary coupling. Wasnt a difficult job to do. Hardest bit was locating the right part second hand.

OP
OP
Peppadog

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Update: Once I worked out which fuse box handle the headlights and horn (the engine bay one) I discovered the fuse blown for the horn. I found some spares in one of the dashboard fuseboxes and tested the wires at the horn - power. But the horn still didn't work. So removed it and tested it remotely on a 12v battery in my garage - kaput. Looks like the spade connectors mounting is rusted through. A replacement is on order from amazon for delivery toro. Its a Fiamm, identical and £13. Next job is the headlight. All I know for sure on this so far is it aint the fuse. What fun

OP
OP
Peppadog

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
No, Hella led headlamps won’t be an mot failure. But I have ordered a new standard pair from a well known ebay seller called ‘Bolt on Bits’. £95 for a pair. I don’t know yet if I will have to swop the rise and fall motors over. Replacement led units are £231 plus each. I decided I didn’t drive enough in the dark to justify the difference. The old units are both cloudy as you look at them. The new ones - at least on the image, appear to be clear. If it turns out one of mine is a gonner, my guess is the other one is not far behind. I’m away from the van now till Tuesday. The new lights and horn will have arrived by then.

OP
OP
Peppadog

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Update: the replacement horn was identicle to the old one. So once fitted worked. As one of the posts above suggested, these headlight do have replaceable bulbs. I will replace the old for new, but to get it through mot,i removed the wheel and inner wheel arch (lots of self tapper screws. It was still hidden by the air tubes but by then was much easier to swop the bulb than the light. The offside unit looks possible from underneath without the removals, but still might be better. Anyway, it passed its mot and is now due a service, which is being done on Tuesday by my youngest’s mechanic partner. The light from these old lights is still very poor. I am hoping the new, clear ones, will be an improvement.
Thanks for all the input.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Let use know when you get the new lights fitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back