Headlamp deflectors (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Our old 2009 Boxer MH had markings on the headlamp lenses to indicate where to place the European headlamp deflector stickers, new 2016 has no such markings, do I just guess ? or don't you bother anyway !

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Not entirely sure but maybe on a neutral beam which doesn't need Deflecting or you may have an adjuster behind the lens to dip to the right. Interesting thread as mine doesn't have markings either, so will check the handbook, unless someone come in with a deffo answer(y)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
This is NOT the correct answer.
We were off last year when all the Welsh fans were heading to Lyon for an unexpected semi final.
Decided to put on the deflectors as mine had come off in the wash.
So we were sat in the queue waiting to board the ferry and i just went straight out and put the deflectors on (as the marks from the previous ones were already there). Previously i had put on the deflectors as a bit of a guess, as I defy anybody to understand the instruction manual that comes with them.
So, all the welsh saw me do this, and came up and had a chat then asked about the deflectors, one by one, and i just told them to copy mine with the cone part going on the outside.
When i told the wife she went mad at me.
I have no idea how they are supposed to go on and was just giggling to myself all the way down to Provence.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We always guess. But rarely drive in the dark

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Easy peasy how too
First thing to know is we are not trying to deflect or bend anything so Beam Benders and Beam Deflectors are slight misnomers,
What we are aiming for (note the pun) is "Masking the light patterns.

Drive up to a flat surface, wall or garage door, switch on Dipped headlights and look for a pattern as in pic 1.

Its the area colour'd red we are trying to Mask out as in Pic 2.

We hope to finish up with a flat top light image as in pic 3 ie the kick up has been hidden by you tape etc

a small piece of cardboard waved in front of the lamp touching the glass itself will indicate were your gaffa tape or other masking materials should be fixed
the same rules apply if masking R/H or L/H or even obscure oddball headlamps pic 3 is the final goal of the exercise and ill borrow @Zigisla term a "Neutral" image
G

lights_diagram1.gif
red.jpg
lights_diagram1.jpg

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Headlight protectors for the latest generation Fiat / Peugeot / Citroen X290 have clear easy markings where to mask with black tape.

And they are MUCH easier and quicker to fit than the previous X250 models - the new ones just clip in place, just a case of lifting the bonnet lid.

You can get them from Van Comfort: http://vancomfort.co.uk/headlampdeflectorspage_000.htm

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Easy peasy how too
First thing to know is we are not trying to deflect or bend anything so Beam Benders and Beam Deflectors are slight misnomers,
What we are aiming for (note the pun) is "Masking the light patterns.

Drive up to a flat surface, wall or garage door, switch on Dipped headlights and look for a pattern as in pic 1.

Its the area colour'd red we are trying to Mask out as in Pic 2.

We hope to finish up with a flat top light image as in pic 3 ie the kick up has been hidden by you tape etc

a small piece of cardboard waved in front of the lamp touching the glass itself will indicate were your gaffa tape or other masking materials should be fixed
the same rules apply if masking R/H or L/H or even obscure oddball headlamps pic 3 is the final goal of the exercise and ill borrow @Zigisla term a "Neutral" image
G

View attachment 154764 View attachment 154765 View attachment 154766
Thank you for proving my point !!!!!

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
If we all drove on the same side of the road it would be simpler !

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
You will find all UK cars and motor homes must have deflectors whether you plan to drive at night or not
You are required to use headlamps in inclement weather irrelevant whether it is dark or not

the headlight converters now are supposed to be clear fresnel lens not solid obstructive tapes.

You may find reading the instructions a little obtuse but sometimes the headlamps need only the round part some only need the angular part read the instructions slowly and you will get there took me two years but for me my best car had headlamp protectors to which the deflectors were applied so they were just put on or taken off on the ferry and saved for next year best cheat ever

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Anyone been stopped for not having them correct? What's the damage if caught?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Headlight protectors for the latest generation Fiat / Peugeot / Citroen X290 have clear easy markings where to mask with black tape.

And they are MUCH easier and quicker to fit than the previous X250 models - the new ones just clip in place, just a case of lifting the bonnet lid.

You can get them from Van Comfort: http://vancomfort.co.uk/headlampdeflectorspage_000.htm
We've had headlight protectors on for 10 years. EGR for particular model. Put into place and there's a square sticky black bit to put on where marked. With it not being on the headlight itself, it won't burn. Once fitted, never need (except for cleaning) to take the protectors off as it goes through our MOT without a problem

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
We've had headlight protectors on for 10 years. EGR for particular model. Put into place and there's a square sticky black bit to put on where marked. With it not being on the headlight itself, it won't burn. Once fitted, never need (except for cleaning) to take the protectors off as it goes through our MOT without a problem
We only take them off when we're travelling in the UK during winter and more likely to be driving in the dark. Removing the protectors with the blackout tape maximises the light output.

And as I mentioned in the previous post, they only take moments to fit or remove on the latest model X290s.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Never found protectors for transit cabs for some reason perhaps the units are cheaper to replace if dammaged

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am going to France in a week so I need to change my Hymer headlamps to flat top beams, not that I will be driving at night though if possible.
How is it done, a lever or something attached to the dip beam light but I cannot see how or what it actually is , anyone got a clue or shall I just put deflectors on it?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We only take them off when we're travelling in the UK during winter and more likely to be driving in the dark. Removing the protectors with the blackout tape maximises the light output.

And as I mentioned in the previous post, they only take moments to fit or remove on the latest model X290s.
We travel day and night in the UK and by keeping them in place doesn't affect any light. Tbf, the light deflection was a bonus as the headlight protection was more important and there is absolutely no detrimental affect to the quantity or quality of light when in UK

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
We travel day and night in the UK and by keeping them in place doesn't affect any light. Tbf, the light deflection was a bonus as the headlight protection was more important and there is absolutely no detrimental affect to the quantity or quality of light when in UK
I'm somewhat puzzled how the quantity and quality of light can be unaffected when the light output is partially obscured by black tape?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I'm somewhat puzzled how the quantity and quality of light can be unaffected when the light output is partially obscured by black tape?
I appreciate that, however it is to deflect the light on the continent so it's directing it's beam away from on coming traffic as ours are over here. If there was ANY detrimental affect whatsoever, it would no pass the UK MOT which it does. Passed every time for last 9 years. I'm no luminaire expert but I would have thought that if there was any lack of output by the lights then it would fail the MOT.
The Black square is only about 2"

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I appreciate that, however it is to deflect the light on the continent so it's directing it's beam away from on coming traffic as ours are over here. If there was ANY detrimental affect whatsoever, it would no pass the UK MOT which it does. Passed every time for last 9 years. I'm no luminaire expert but I would have thought that if there was any lack of output by the lights then it would fail the MOT.
The Black square is only about 2"
I take the view that the lights are designed in such a way as to maximise their efficiency and provide the optimum light output for UK use. Otherwise, they would be designed to the altered format suggested.

In the same way that I wouldn't run a vehicle with the bare minimum legal limit of tread (but which would pass an MOT); I prefer to benefit from the enhanced safety of operating the van with a greater tread depth. Thus I want my lights to work as effectively as possible, not just the minimum level to get through an MOT.

The MOT sets a minimum standard required, not necessarily the best standard available.

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I take the view that the lights are designed in such a way as to maximise their efficiency and provide the optimum light output for UK use. Otherwise, they would be designed to the altered format suggested.

In the same way that I wouldn't run a vehicle with the bare minimum legal limit of tread (but which would pass an MOT); I prefer to benefit from the enhanced safety of operating the van with a greater tread depth. Thus I want my lights to work as effectively as possible, not just the minimum level to get through an MOT.

The MOT sets a minimum standard required, not necessarily the best standard available.
Firstly you are reading more into that than I said.
You can take it how you like but I'm only saying the facts as the manufacturers of the headlight protectors state. They have absolutely no detrimental affect on UK roads and it does not affect the illumination for UK roads.
Best thing is, either don't use protectors or buy the little bits of black sticky plastic and remove.
It won't stop me or others using the protectors because it protects the headlight and I could remove the protectors if I wanted to but why? They are there for a reason.
If you have the proof that the small black square is detrimental then by all means say so but these companies that make them, do so with good knowledge.
I certainly wouldn't run my tyres to the bare minimum either. The company I work for changes at 3mm rather than the getting towards the minimum depth of 1mm

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Firstly you are reading more into that than I said.
You can take it how you like but I'm only saying the facts as the manufacturers of the headlight protectors state. They have absolutely no detrimental affect on UK roads and it does not affect the illumination for UK roads.
Best thing is, either don't use protectors or buy the little bits of black sticky plastic and remove.
It won't stop me or others using the protectors because it protects the headlight and I could remove the protectors if I wanted to but why? They are there for a reason.
If you have the proof that the small black square is detrimental then by all means say so but these companies that make them, do so with good knowledge.
I certainly wouldn't run my tyres to the bare minimum either. The company I work for changes at 3mm rather than the getting towards the minimum depth of 1mm
I think we are probably going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't have a problem with anybody using their van how they wish.

However, personally, I prefer to spend the 10 seconds or less per headlight to remove the covers with blanking tape, for UK winter driving. As mentioned previously, the new protector fitting arrangements for the X290 are much improved compared to earlier models.

The headlight manufacturers design the lights to provide the optimum and safest illumination for either right-hand drive or left-hand drive, as required. The fact that we can conveniently stay within the law by simply adding black masking for travel on the continent is a bonus.

But it is difficult to see how this does not affect the overall performance of the lights. I haven't been able to locate the so called 'facts' as stated by the headlight protector manufacturers, but presumably they might well say that in any case - a bit like turkeys not voting for Christmas. I can appreciate the protectors on their own not being an issue, just the affect of blocking part of the beam with tape.

I understand the 'protective' benefit of keeping the covers on, but nonetheless personally choose to remove them in winter to enhance the efficacy of the lights and improve night vision. Each to their own I guess... :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you look at the post by GEO it shows which part of the beam is cut off (by the way try looking through the "deflectors" they actually cut out light rather than bend it!!!!). The tape does of course cut out some light how could blocking off part of the headlight not!!! but whether its noticeable when driving is a more difficult point. The protectors themselves will transmit almost all the light but not with blacked out areas on them. So I suppose everyone is to some extent correct!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If it helps, take it from someone who spends far too much time looking into beam testers on a daily basis
there is no discernible difference between those with or without deflectors.
So long as both headlamp and deflectors are in good condition
We have no criteria for measuring light output and they have to be quite dire to fail on insufficient light, given some early sixties vehicles
had very yellow looking lamps and still pass to day.
American Rvs are well known for very poor light output

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
On the opposite end of the question...

Anybody seen any LHD deflectors on sale? Never put them on any of our LHD drive cars when travelling in the UK and in a few weeks we'll coming back to the UK in the MH. I just reduce the beam height and carry on..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back