Heading to Sorrento (1 Viewer)

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
Planning a trip to Sorrento, taking a few days to get there, have plans for France and Germany (Freiburg wine festival!) but looking for campsite suggestions for Florence, Rome and Sorrento itself. Have stayed fairly near Florence before, but it was an hours train journey each way, so would like somewhere a little close.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Went to sorrento last summer. But not in motorhome. Theres a campsite in sorrento itself. Walking distance to the centre 5 minutes. A few motohomes on but I don't know the name. If you look on Google earth you should be able to see it.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Can’t help with campsites but we were in Sorrento last month.

It’s all very nice but we took a ferry to Capri and the place was closed. Seriously all shut up with nowhere decent to have lunch.

If you are tempted just enquire first if the shops , restaurants and hotels are open on Capri before you fork out on the ferry.

Our trip was in February so it might be ok now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We went to Sorrento and stopped at Nube d'Argento site in Spring of 2016. It was Ok and had good views of the bay of Naples. BUT we would not recommend that you do it.

The last 5 miles or so into Sorrento are on narrow twisting and very busy roads with suicide scooters and mad tourist coach drivers attacking you from all angles. And the entrance road down to the campsite itself is very steep and narrow with several hairpin bends. By the time we got down there we were so on edge that it took us a week to pluck up the courage to drive back out again!

I would suggest you stop somewhere nearer to Pompei and take the regular train into Sorrento. From there you can catch the regular bus along the Amalfi coast to Positano and Amalfi, or you can take the ferry along the coast in the high season. And from Sorrento you can also catch the ferry to Capri. When we went there it was packed with tourists and everywhere was open, but that may have been because it was Easter Sunday. In addition Pompei is well worth a visit in its own right and you can also catch the train the other way to Naples, which is also well worth a visit.

As for Rome we stopped at a quiet Sosta (Aire) only just outside the old city walls and next to the Cattacombs. It is CamperContact No 19913. You can catch the bus from just outside the Sosta and it will drop you off right outside the Colliseum in 15 minutes. The buses run every 20 minutes or so on a circular route, so you catch the return at the same stop as you got off at.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2013
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
since 2011
Couple of years ago we stayed at Piano di Sorrento on a campsite called "Blue Green camping", a lovely quiet site on the cliff top with views over to Sorrento. The railway station is a ten minute walk away to get 2 stops to Sorrento. Decent facilities only thing missing was a washing machine. It was a lot easier to get to than others around

OP
OP
PepnKook
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Since 2008
Food for thought, thanks all! Looking at the camping available, will look at outside Sorrento and using public transport to get around the area. Have found a couple of sites around Rome, but will definitely look into the Sosta.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We went to Sorrento and stopped at Nube d'Argento site in Spring of 2016..

One of the best positioned sites anywhere, short walk to old town and harbour, short walk to new town. Glorious place.

Easy train to Pompeii, Herculaneum or boat to Naples and Capri.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
One of the best positioned sites anywhere, short walk to old town and harbour, short walk to new town. Glorious place.

Easy train to Pompeii, Herculaneum or boat to Naples and Capri.
Agree it is in a convenient position and glorious views of the Bay, just nerve wracking getting in and out. But we were not particularly impressed by Sorrento. It seemed to have long since surrendered its quaint Italian soul to the rigours of mass tourism. Amalfi seemed less affected, but personally we preferred the Cinque Terre, which seemed less spoiled by the hordes of tourists that visit the area.

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Just been to Sorrento yesterday. Stayed at Camping Zeus at pompeii.....good acsi site only annoyance is the noise from the kids who stay in the bungalows nearby. Train easy to Sorrento 35mins. If you value your Motorhome like we do I would avoid driving into Sorrento like the plague although it is doable.
Day ticket for coastal villages 10 euros...let someone who knows the road do the battling through.

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
Just been to Sorrento yesterday. Stayed at Camping Zeus at pompeii.....good acsi site only annoyance is the noise from the kids who stay in the bungalows nearby. Train easy to Sorrento 35mins. If you value your Motorhome like we do I would avoid driving into Sorrento like the plague although it is doable.
Day ticket for coastal villages 10 euros...let someone who knows the road do the battling through.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you value your Motorhome like we do I would avoid driving into Sorrento like the plague.

We are not getting The Right Stuff in here any more. When we went there were two big A classes and our modest 6m Burstner. No problem.

They have busses, they have delivery vans who do it every day.

It's Italy, when in Italy drive like the Italians. With skill and passion.

Wimps, just visit the French villages with their 10kmh max speed bumps.

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years
We are not getting The Right Stuff in here any more. When we went there were two big A classes and our modest 6m Burstner. No problem.

Wimps, just visit the French villages with their 10kmh

Some people value their van more than others I guess. It is all about levels of risk.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Wimps, just visit the French villages with their 10kmh max speed bumps.
Brian, in my experience Italians do drive with "passion" but with little or no skill. Nearly all the vehicles we saw in the Naples area seemed to have a scuff or dent of some sort and that especially applied to the delivery vans and buses. Of course the drivers of those vans and buses rarely owned the vehicle they were regularly abusing, unlike me and my motorhome.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You sound like a true hero.

I don't think so. But I have ridden ( first experience of Italy ), driven and MHed in Italy for a long time. They drive with passion, it's good to have a bit of passion.

First time to Sorrento we flew to Naples and hired a car, now I will admit that it was a bit of an eye opener driving out of the airport into Naples traffic. Funnily enough, the hotel we used was above Camping Nube d'Argento and the bus we used to get to the station went right past without any problems. That car was our ticket to the Amalfi coast. I proudly returned the hire car with exactly the same number of bumps it had when collected.

We fell in love with Sorrento then. We fell deeper in love when staying in Camping Nube d'Argento and found the steps down to the old town. It's a delight.

We've not been anywhere in Italy that is not a delight. Discounting some of the roads in need of a bucket of tarmac.

Apr 29, 2014
isle of man
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I agree Brian with what is said above and I can vouch for the minor roads being very rough we ride two up on a motorcycle every year in Italy and you just do not know what the next corner has in store (The Marche region) but we love it. If you want smooth roads in Italy stick too the Motorways. I have travelled the Amalfi coast on the motorcycle and found that a little bit nerve racking the first time, and we also survived Naples in a motorhome but it is not for the faint hearted going there for the first time, but I now just go with the flow, beautiful country it is our favourite

Feb 4, 2016
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
10 years

Some people value their van more than others I guess. It is all about levels of risk.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

That's an interesting statement.

In Peniscola we we pitched next to a nice couple from Wigan with a new Hymer that looked like it might have been delivered on an enclosed transporter straight from the showroom. I observed another Brit van where the wife wiped the outside down every day, well it was dry and dusty.

While chatting to the fellow biking Wigan guy and he said "so you'll wash your when you get home ?" as a biker would. Ours was covered in black streaks, dirt and huge amounts of salt, given to us by Britanny Ferries.

And this is the great divide, people owned by their MHs and people who own their MH and treat it as a tool to enjoy themselves. A good tool may be covered in grease but it will be in perfect working order.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back