Heading to Nice soon, tips required (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We will be heading to Nice in the South of France on the 27/10 and have 16 days, our rough plan is get ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge (booked). Once off the ferry we plan to drive as far as we can/feel like so we are in the south as soon as possible.

We plan to stay somewhere between St Tropez and Cannes for a few nights, we don't mind Aire's or sites. We will head to Nice on the Friday morning where I have secured a wildcamping/paid location for a couple of nights. I will be running/plodding round the Nice marathon on the Sunday 5th November and will leave on the Monday to head elsewhere. We haven't decided if we'll stay down south for a few days then just do a mad rush home or slowly plod up, suppose it will depend on weather

So feel free to recommend routes (don't mind tolls), campsites and Aires.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Good luck with the marothon Gerry ! Is your leg fully better now?!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Good luck with the marothon Gerry ! Is your leg fully better now?!
Thanks Anthea, yes it seems to be better after a long lay off as I didn't run any real distance from February to June. I put myself on a diet to help me when i started back :). Marathon is a birthday treat as its my 50th that day.

Jun 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Anthea, yes it seems to be better after a long lay off as I didn't run any real distance from February to June. I put myself on a diet to help me when i started back :). Marathon is a birthday treat as its my 50th that day.
What a brilliant 50th birthday present to yourself. I can't help with site recommendations, but hope you have a great trip & are happy with your time.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The Aire at Cavaliere is good, but 25 mins west of San Trop. Was there last month, Beach across the road.

Port Grimaud Aire is Small and next to busy road. Get some rough sleepers there too.
Cavaliere-plage.jpg
Cavaliere-plage.jpg

Attachments

• cav.jpg
    cav.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 18
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Port Grimaud and St Maxime ........jealous jealous jealous jealous. :(

I was in the Sth of France last weekend for the Bol `dor racing,and rode past the St Maxime and Port Grimaud aires
and they were both full.For me it has to be the aire at St Maxime
one of my fav places in France!:)

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I was in the Sth of France last weekend for the Bol `dor racing,and rode past the St Maxime and Port Grimaud aires
and they were both full.For me it has to be the aire at St Maxime
one of my fav places in France!:)
Cheers will have a look.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If the weather is half decent for the first bit of the return journey or last bit of route down, we love the 'route du Napoleon'

cuts the corner off directly down to Nice, much slower but the gorge de Verdon is truly spectacular if you can make the time

upload_2017-9-21_8-39-15.png

above is just an image I could find just to show roughly where I meant, nothing I have prepared myself, it is a main road through though although some side roads to view the gorges are worth the trouble

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
To add to @DavidG58 post above, the Gorges du Verdon are definitely worth a look. There is a nice municipal aire (camper contact sitecode 2342 which is 6.50 emus per 24 hrs) at Castellane, which is right by the town (100m from centre) where there are a number of small shops, museums and resturants

Cheers

Trevor

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sounds a lovely trip, there is a good camp site ACSI I think a couple of miles outside Cannes, loved it there especially the old town well worth a couple of days, buses are frequent and cheap. The Gordges de Verdon I would want to see at least once, the colour of the water is amazing, good camp sites in the verge itself .
While we were in the area Eddie drove the van all around Monaco just because he could, as Joy said Port Grimaud is well worth a visit and you can easily get a water taxi to St Tropez from there. What a faboulous way to spend your 50th Birthday .

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
PAire Les Tamaris at Pampelonne just west of St Tropez.

Here at present and weather is fab!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Umpteenth vote for the gorges du verdon. You have to do the south road as long as you dont mind looking over 3000 foot sheer drops. if you go west to east the passenger gets the fright !
Best tip is if you want to pop into Monaco catch the train, something like 20 euros return for 2............HOWEVER make sure you get the right train back as if you catch the italian train you have to pay another fare....... trust me !

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If the weather is half decent for the first bit of the return journey or last bit of route down, we love the 'route du Napoleon'

cuts the corner off directly down to Nice, much slower but the gorge de Verdon is truly spectacular if you can make the time

View attachment 187251

above is just an image I could find just to show roughly where I meant, nothing I have prepared myself, it is a main road through though although some side roads to view the gorges are worth the trouble

Cheers David I will look in to this

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back