No recent reviews though

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had a really crap meal in "Anne of Cleaves", We went in because of the lovely cakes etc in the window, mouthwatering would aptly describe them, only to get stale rolls, limp salad (the crispest thing on the salad was the slice of red onion) etc etc "All our stuff is bought fresh from the COOP every morning"

Yes! But! how long has it been in the COOP?!!!

Lovely fresh Bread however in the Bakery near the town side end of the Bridge, Crispy french Bagette too!

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Come you North Devonians shout about the North! Head off the Link Road to Waterow, great little site adult only site on the edge of Exmoor. Then move on out to Lynton & Lynmouth, valley of the Rocks with some great cliff top walks. Move on again to Ilfracombe have a night with Wildman up on the top, next Morethoe, Woolacombe, Saunton. Have time in Barnstaple, then over the Water to Bideford, take a look around the town, overnight by the Torridge for £5 then head to Appledore, lovely little site at Marshford Oganics. Bus stop outside for buses all along the North Devon coast. Stay overnight in Appledore by the river, take walks over North Burrow SSSI site. Move Onto Clovelly for a cracking walk through the village. Move inland to Great Toorington, visit to Dartington Crystal and RHS Rosemore. Stay overnight in South Street car park with great view over the Torridge. Get the bikes off and cycle the Tarka Trail. I could go on........!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Jemhorn... Wow, I'm impressed! I'm saving your comment for future reference as it's a ready-made itinerary.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
On the subject of Totnes, one thing we really liked about the town was the number of individual shops. When we were there in April 2012 there was a shop selling harps of all things!

Photo shows another unusual shop - I'm afraid they are fighting a losing battle!

Paul

Totnes shop.JPG

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Good decision, Simon. We will probably be at Steamer Quay for a few days during July. Look out for a Hymer and a couple with 2 Border Collies.
Stef and Di.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Good decision, Simon. We will probably be at Steamer Quay for a few days during July. Look out for a Hymer and a couple with 2 Border Collies.
Stef and Di.
On the subject of Totnes, one thing we really liked about the town was the number of individual shops. When we were there in April 2012 there was a shop selling harps of all things!

Photo shows another unusual shop - I'm afraid they are fighting a losing battle!

Paul

View attachment 46975

I've just had a good look around Totnes, thanks to googlymaps, and I must say it does look amazing. It's definitely what we've been looking for in a town and I can see us not wanting to come home again!

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Do try this site - Bolberry House Farm Camping and Caravan Site, Hope Cove - delightful owner called Fiona - fab views from site, lovely walks around coastal path and easy access to Salcombe. We go every year and love it!

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Do try this site - Bolberry House Farm Camping and Caravan Site, Hope Cove - delightful owner called Fiona - fab views from site, lovely walks around coastal path and easy access to Salcombe. We go every year and love it!

Bookmarked. Thank you.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Another vote for the "Round Robin" from Totnes, we are locals and yet we always find time to do this trip once a year. You will love Totnes as it is a truly quirky town with a very interesting history regarding its relationship with nearby Dartington College founded by the Elmhurst family. There is a lovely circular walk that takes you up the river and through the college where you can stop off at the White Hart pub for lunch before heading down through the estate to wards the Dartington Glass works where you can have a cuppa before the return leg to Totnes. On the high street there is a pub / bistro called Rumours which serves excellent food and beer. During the day the best entertainment is watching the aged Hippies that populate the place; all very far out man! If all that isn't enough then fire up the van for a day and explore Dartmoor, stay away from the tacky tourist traps, and you will find superb walking for you and the dogs.

The Tinca's

Dartington college, I know someone that has just finished studying holistic something or other there, I'm sure that they were staying in a cottage in the estate, they were Australian and when I was in Oz I met an old guy who was brought up at Dartington Hall, his father was the gardner I think.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If you are set on going to Totnes then it is a nice little town and the locals are very proud of their local shops. I think they made sure that Costa Coffee or similar was not allowed in! Being from other towns in the area we always used to think of them as Vegetarians as they always seemed odd and Cranks had a health food shop and Vegetarian restaurant there.

Anyway do pay a visit to Dartington Hall which has its own pub and beautiful gardens. Google it - it has an interesting history and beautiful old buildings.

Dartmouth is also not far away, also Slapton Sands, Blackpool Sands and fabulous fish and chips at Torcross!

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Bertha,
The history of Dartington College is a fascinating one, without which Totnes would not have the "hippy trippy" character it now enjoys in my opinion. The college was started in the 1920's by Leonard Elmhurst a Yorkshire farmer and his wife, an American heiress from the Whitney family. What was unusual in the day was that the culture of the college had at its core Buddhist principles which was very unusual for the time. We are very lucky to have among our friends one of Leonard Elmhurst's nieces who is like a walking history book of those times. If anyone is interested to learn more I can recommend the book "The Elmhurst's of Dartington" by Michael Young.

The Tinca's

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Bertha,
The history of Dartington College is a fascinating one, without which Totnes would not have the "hippy trippy" character it now enjoys in my opinion. The college was started in the 1920's by Leonard Elmhurst a Yorkshire farmer and his wife, an American heiress from the Whitney family. What was unusual in the day was that the culture of the college had at its core Buddhist principles which was very unusual for the time. We are very lucky to have among our friends one of Leonard Elmhurst's nieces who is like a walking history book of those times. If anyone is interested to learn more I can recommend the book "The Elmhurst's of Dartington" by Michael Young.

The Tinca's[/QUOTE
Thanks Tinca, it was my Australian half brother and family living in Dartington so it was very surprising when I met a old guy in Oz who told me his family had lived there, small world, I remember his name but don't want to mention on open forum. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back