Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Hi new to the site.:Smile:

Decided we want a Motorhome !:Eeek:

That was the easy part, my head is spinning after looking at all the options.
Ideally we want a 5 berth so there is plenty of room for the 2 off use and 2 small dogs.
However my son or daughter may want to borrow it when it is free and they both have 3 children - hence the 5 berth.
I dont want one too big as i will be towing a car trailer, but on the other hand not to small.

:ROFLMAO: Spent lots of time looking on the web but i am no wiser now than when i started.

Hope to use this site for info as it will be our first venture into the world of motorhomes.

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Swift Kontiki 645, perfect. Two lounges, turn left or right when you enter, so kids up one and and parents / grand parents at the other. Put on a large roof box Fiamma Ultra 3 and you win both ways with internal space and storage, here is an example of one on google, must be sold as it s an old ad bt lets you see what you get :thumb:

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/stock/1449/pixindex.html

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi Paulyp :welcome:
Welcome to funsters. We are quite new as well only just finishing our first year and the vibes we get from all the more experienced is your 3rd will be the right one (still on our first).
When we bought ours we had spent months on line and visiting dealers to see layout of what we liked and got a Sundance 630L witch is a 6 birth ( 2 of us and 2 dogs ) 7 metres long. size is not a big issue apart from height barriers and sometimes parking at peak times in a supermarket.
The only real advice I can give is look long and hard then ask questions on here about model and the DEALER SERVICE as there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this site who will have good advice.

All the Best
Rob and Sue :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome....

can you give a little more info.....re: budget, type of licence, year test passed (for both yourself and son/daughter)

pre 1997 licence will allow you to drive up to 7500kg, although 3500kg to 4000kg would be a more realistic weight.
after '97 you are restricted to 3500kg max.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks to all.

Pappajohn - i passed my test a long time ago, son/daughter passed their tests late eighties early nineties no probs with licence.
Budget - not yet decided could be up to £30/35000 but would be happy with a bargain around £20/25000. Not looking to get into the heavyweight sizes, 3 - 4 ton would be enough.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks to all.

Pappajohn - i passed my test a long time ago, son/daughter passed their tests late eighties early nineties no probs with licence.
Budget - not yet decided could be up to £30/35000 but would be happy with a bargain around £20/25000. Not looking to get into the heavyweight sizes, 3 - 4 ton would be enough.

having a pre '97 licence certainly gives you more options.

payload can be a problem if carrying 5 people, and 5 peoples belongings. so a larger van may be the better choice.

you should find a good van within your budget.

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Good luck with your search, take your time and when it comes to buying one make sure you do your checks, damp, gas, pipework/leaks around showers/taps/roof hatches e.t.c. You can buy a damp meter off ebay for a few quid, they do the job, plus plenty of help on here from the sensible ones :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks Swift

Had a look at the pics, the Kontiki is a consideration, will soon get the time to go around a few dealers and have a close up look at various models.

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
Hi welcome, take time to have a good look around even if it means waiting a little while before you decide.

We spent silly money buying something we really liked then to find out it was not suitable. It is surprising once you decide to buy how different it feels when you actually get it and start using it.

Take time, talk about it and make sure its the right one for you.

Hope all goes well for you and wish you many happy hours in your Motorhome.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
will soon get the time to go around a few dealers and have a close up look at various models.

The only way. Carry camera. Take pic of front with price/year then loads inside. Sit inside, assume a blizzard outside and ask yourself if you will be comfortable.

And in today's climate consider running costs, you are talking in terms of 20-25 mpg.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back