LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just taken a look at the GPS thread and mention of the headsets that are bluetooth.

Bare with me as not fully understanding of bluetooth.

I am thinking of getting a couple of headsets so we dont have to interpret what a tap on the shoulder means.
Do they connect to each other by bluetooth ?
Then can you connect the GPS of choice to the same bluetooth connection ?
How do you speak to each other ? Do you have to press a button or does it automatically pick up your voice ?

I am a TFG so would be looking to buy at the very cheap end of the market and am looking at getting a couple of these ?

Is there anything else I ought to consider in the same price range or is it a case of it being worth paying out more money for better quality ?

In general we use the motorbike when touring every other day, so maybe 30 - 40 days a year for maybe 50 miles a journey and at home we probably go out 10-15 times for maybe 100 mile journey so not a lot of usage

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I am a TFG so would be looking to buy at the very cheap end of the market
I had to think about TFG for a minute - Tight Fisted Git!

I have an integrated Sena 10U in my Schuberth helmet; it has much functionality but my use is largely limited to Sat Nav instructions and music/radio with the odd phone call and bike to bike intercom. I wont pretend that I found the setup particularly easy but adding optional handlebar control does make use much easier (particularly for switching music on/off and between music and the inbuilt radio).

You might find the following of use:

Top 10 Helmet Headsets 👍

Ian

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Just taken a look at the GPS thread and mention of the headsets that are bluetooth.

Bare with me as not fully understanding of bluetooth.

I am thinking of getting a couple of headsets so we dont have to interpret what a tap on the shoulder means.
Do they connect to each other by bluetooth ?
Then can you connect the GPS of choice to the same bluetooth connection ?
How do you speak to each other ? Do you have to press a button or does it automatically pick up your voice ?

I am a TFG so would be looking to buy at the very cheap end of the market and am looking at getting a couple of these ?

Is there anything else I ought to consider in the same price range or is it a case of it being worth paying out more money for better quality ?

In general we use the motorbike when touring every other day, so maybe 30 - 40 days a year for maybe 50 miles a journey and at home we probably go out 10-15 times for maybe 100 mile journey so not a lot of usage
Think very seriously about this before spending money. Do you really want your pillion to be able to talk to you? When my wife and I did motorcycle touring we tried a set. I soon got rid of it. To me motorcycling is a solo pastime and I don’t want to listen to others babbling on. I didn’t like having the music in my helmet, it’s not like listening to the radio in the car it’s sort in your head rather than just around you. I have my phone Bluetoothed to my sat nav. I can see that I have a call but can’t answer it. If it’s important I can always pull in and ring back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Think very seriously about this before spending money. Do you really want your pillion to be able to talk to you? When my wife and I did motorcycle touring we tried a set. I soon got rid of it. To me motorcycling is a solo pastime and I don’t want to listen to others babbling on. I didn’t like having the music in my helmet, it’s not like listening to the radio in the car it’s sort in your head rather than just around you. I have my phone Bluetoothed to my sat nav. I can see that I have a call but can’t answer it. If it’s important I can always pull in and ring back.
Certainly not interested in listening to music whilst on a bike, I dont even listen to it when driving. I totally get the point of not wanting to listen to the Mrs, but one in 10 times she might have something relatively interesting to say such as "Wild boar to the right"
I commute to work on the bigger bike when it is a tad warmer (and I am not reallocating their Beech trees) and wont use headphones then. In general I dont get phone calls on my phone, I use my works phone so not many people have my number and they are all ignored, so it is just for the occasional "wild boar" moment rather than the tap on the shoulder guesswork

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Saw the thread title and thought I might be able to help (y) :unsure:
As I've just fitted a new cane creek headset..:ROFLMAO:
Sorry::bigsmile:
Andy..

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
We have an Interphone set up. Would not be without it.

Does SatNav, Phone and Intercom.

I don't use the music or radio on them.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have an Interphone set up. Would not be without it.

Does SatNav, Phone and Intercom.

I don't use the music or radio on them.
Pretend I am a bit thick.

What on earth is an interphone set up ? You set your phones to be in contact with each other (bluetooth?) and then have a microphone and ear piece attached to your phone ?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018

What on earth is an interphone set up ? You set your phones to be in contact with each other (bluetooth?) and then have a microphone and ear piece attached to your phone ?
It's the make of intercom by Cellularline. Available at motorcycle dealers and on line I think.

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_122804.jpg
    IMG_20210303_122804.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 14
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018

The intercom units are stuck to the side of your helmets. You have a microphone that goes close to your mouth.

The two units are then connected together using bluetooth as are your phone and GPS. No wires anywhere.

They are quite fiddly to use whilst riding and complicated and that's why we only use certain functions.

Sally will often chime in with directions when she sees signs and especially when in town where we leave the units 'open' so we can talk without having to activate them. That is, always on and talking.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The intercom units are stuck to the side of your helmets. You have a microphone that goes close to your mouth.

The two units are then connected together using bluetooth as are your phone and GPS. No wires anywhere.

They are quite fiddly to use whilst riding and complicated and that's why we only use certain functions.

Sally will often chime in with directions when she sees signs and especially when in town where we leave the units 'open' so we can talk without having to activate them. That is, always on and talking.
If that is cheap, it fits to what I am after

I found this one with wires, have you got a link or price ?

Amazon product ASIN B08FDM45KF

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Mine were not cheap at all. A couple of £100s.

Wires are a pain but would be an easy entry to the idea for you. Personally I think there are many BT 'cheap' units that would do a better job

There are hundreds of sets available. eg

Amazon product ASIN B06WP1VZMG
Amazon product ASIN B01F7SQRK6

Rightly or wrongly I opted for a make that the reputable motorcycle dealers were selling but there are many they do, eg Sena which are even more expensive but are able to communicate with lots of other riders and have longer ranges.

Last edited:

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
We use a pair of the BT S2 from Amazon. My wife likes to know which direction we are turning before her face gets towards the tarmac😂. We do chat when we are riding but I do prefer riding solo.
They are relatively cheap and pair up easily.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Bought it, turns up tomorrow,

Thanks for all the help/advice

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
In my experience I would say avoid any that have an antennae sticking up as they catch on things when the helmet is not on your head, also avoid ones that have lots of fiddly buttons as you wont be able to press them with gloves on, something like the following which just has one large multi function control would probably suit you.

Freedconn intercom

Note that the speaker placement within your helmet is critical, you will need to experiment with where you place them and possibly need to pack them out to get them nearer your ears so that you get good quality sound.

The ones above are for a full face helmet on the same page is an alternative with a boom mic for open face lids. About the same price regardless.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
suavecarve I've just turned off advertising blocking on my browser and can now see the ones you've ordered, I've actually had a pair of those, the little black sticky out antennae came off both of them exposing the wire underneath and rendering them not waterproof just so you know.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
suavecarve I've just turned off advertising blocking on my browser and can now see the ones you've ordered, I've actually had a pair of those, the little black sticky out antennae came off both of them exposing the wire underneath and rendering them not waterproof just so you know.
Very much obliged.

i ll take a look when they turn up and make adjustments if necessary

Lee337

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None, absolutely none, although I did once own a VW T2 Westie which I used overnight a few times
I've been using a Freedconn unit for around 18 months & can't really fault it for the price. Used mainly to connect to my phone when using Google maps instead of a dedicated satnav but occasionally music too. It will connect to another Freedconn unit at the same time as the phone/satnav, but the last thing I want is Mrs L yapping while I'm riding, so I only have the one unit.

We have a system anyway, one tap (left or right shoulder) look in that direction, a jab in the ribs, slow down, arms around the waist, if I'm going off the back of this fekker, you're coming with me.

Seems to work well :giggle:

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have a system anyway, one tap (left or right shoulder) look in that direction, a jab in the ribs, slow down, arms around the waist, if I'm going off the back of this fekker, you're coming with me.
The Mrs SC version of Mrs L doesnt comprehend such a simple system.

I was concerned that the one i bought has a 1.2km distance where she can still contact me, that could be enough time for her to land, roll over a few times, brush herself off and then request my attendance

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Sedge found it most important, when she needed the toilet! or indeed anything else.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
We use a pair of the BT S2 from Amazon. My wife likes to know which direction we are turning before her face gets towards the tarmac😂. We do chat when we are riding but I do prefer riding solo.
They are relatively cheap and pair up easily.
Mine are Veetop
I ve just been advised the wires is not an option so now looking at a budget breaking £79 Amazon product ASIN B07CBSTL38
Which

I ve just been advised the wires is not an option so now looking at a budget breaking £79 Amazon product ASIN B07CBSTL38
Which I think are similar to the ones Wikky must use
Mine are Veetop from Amazon.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I have the wife at home trying to understand chinese translated instructions and watching youtube videos. Both connected to helmets now
The one aspect that caused me probs was I didn't turn off the bluetooth on the phone before the helmets were paired. I then turned on the phone bluetooth and it also connected to my helmet.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The one aspect that caused me probs was I didn't turn off the bluetooth on the phone before the helmets were paired. I then turned on the phone bluetooth and it also connected to my helmet.
She failed with the youtube video today but FiL was with her so I have to give her some benefit of doubt in ability.

I m back home later so will try again.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just an update, we got it working as an intercom after actually following the instructions on the video.
Unfortunately it is very clear in the quiet living room and the "Shut up youre doing my head in button" is quite small and would be difficult to find whilst travelling. Hopefully we will use the bike to take my mums baloon for Mother's Day belatedly on Thursday.

I m not interested in bluetoothing it up to the phone or the GPS (at the moment)

Thanks to all once again

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
We have a pair of Bluetoothed Viper helmets when we race off on our Piaggio 50cc! About £150 each when we bought them, about £180 now.

Once paired, you talk as normal, no fiddly buttons to press. They work fine, she can tell me where to go, I just drive.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back