He didn't make the overtake !!! (1 Viewer)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Yvette was recently hit by a Suzuki GSX R1000 who tried to do a high speed overtake and got it wrong.
The guy was on his brothers motorbike and was not insured for it and also had a revoked license.

1575703704384.png

1575703775763.png

Luck for him, there was no traffic coming the other way at the time and he ended up landing 50 yards or so down the road sat on the verge with his legs dangling over a ditch and got away with bruising.

Yvette's BMW Z4 was written off with the back wing looking like it had been opened with a can opener, bent rear suspension and a chunk taken out of the alloy wheel.

This happened 140 miles from home, but Yvette is insured with Aviva and after the paper work was done with the police, Aviva arranged a taxi to drive her home.
The next day Aviva offered a settlement figure for the Z4 which we countered and they accepted and the money was in our bank account the next working day.

We are already out of pocket £500 for the insurance excess will now be out of pocket with insurance renewals for the next few years because the guy was not insured.

1575710726471.png

1575710759342.png

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
I thought there was a fund that insurers pay into to cover for uninsured drivers? We were hit by one a few years ago and as well as keeping our no claims bonus we also had our excess refunded, this was not part of our policy. Do check with Aviva that you are covered under this scheme... https://www.gov.uk/compensation-victim-uninsured-driver

PS. Glad no one was seriously hurt and only metal/pride damaged. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Wow. This could have been worse. Don’t worry about the vehicles they are just 10 dustbins in a different shape.

So pleased that Evette is ok, hope that shock does not kick in later.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I hope Yvette is ok and not too shaken up by it....?

Not the best of day's she has had, but she was shaken and relieved that the guy although an arse was not splattered across the scenery.

Deleted User
What is it with bikers who think they're invincible. I'm assuming both him and his brother will end up in court for yet more points it's just the carnage they cause on their way to A&E that's so annoying. Hope you get satisfaction in the end.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I thought there was a fund that insurers pay into to cover for uninsured drivers? We were hit by one a few years ago and as well as keeping our no claims bonus we also had our excess refunded, this was not part of our policy. Do check with Aviva that you are covered under this scheme... https://www.gov.uk/compensation-victim-uninsured-driver

PS. Glad no one was seriously hurt and only metal/pride damaged. ;)

Thanks for the heads up and link, will put the wheels in motion.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I bet any penalty he gets will not reflect what could have happened if the bike went over the centre of the car.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Just glad Yvette is ok. we need a different system than revoking licences as those who have this happen frequently just continue driving.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The owner will either have to admit he let his brother use it and be liable or say hie brother stole it presumably.
^Just this^. Does he throw his brother under the bus, or lie and protect him to get money to replace the bike.

I am glad he wasn't seriously injured or killed. But I do think it serves him right and hope both he and his brother get the book thrown at them.

Two on Tour I hope Yvette isn't too shaken up by this and hope you get the car repaired/replaced quickly with no financial impact on yourselves.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just glad Yvette is ok. we need a different system than revoking licences as those who have this happen frequently just continue driving.

I can foresee a time in the future where each car has a license reader and finger print sensor instead of a key. You scan your driving license (which has a biometric data chip) and then put your finger on the touch plate to start. Suspended licenses won't start a car and using someone elses won't work due to the finger print. I suppose you could also implement MOT checks and insurance checks.

You could also authorise only certain drivers which would cut down on theft, unlawful use and car jacking.

It wouldn't be expensive to do and may be a long term solution, especially with the changes to EV's and always connected cars coming down the line.

A technical solution to this backed by extremely tough laws and penalties may in the medium term cut insurance costs and accidents like this.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think a sizeable fine of about a years salary. Of course that doesn't work if someone is not in work. I think we ought to have an unpaid work scheme for people like that there are a lot of verges that have plenty of litter on. I think my opinions here are a bit pink lefty compared to some but think people out of work for a while ought to do about 20 hours a week to continue getting benefits if out of work for more than about 6 months and claiming benefits offenders for this sort of offence out of work ought to have to do double the hours if they refuse a short prison stint followed by enough work unpaid to pay for the cost of prison plus the original penalty.
I think prison as a first step is wrong it cost us all a lot leaves their family stuck and educates offenders in new ways of offending.

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I hope Yvette isn't too shaken up by this and hope you get the car repaired/replaced quickly with no financial impact on yourselves.

Yvette loved the Z4, but with no suitable Z4's on the market at the time and the necessity for her to have a car (sorry green's but that's the way it is living out in the sticks) it's been replaced with this. (y)

1575716289062.png

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
'Yvette's BMW Z4 was written off with the back wing looking like it had been opened with a can opener, bent rear suspension and a chunk taken out of the alloy wheel.'

Glad she wasn't injured. I sometimes think that insurance companies are too quick to write cars off. This is surely repairable - someone will buy and repair it no doubt.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Living in the sticks is not an excuse for not buying something electric :p :D
But I'll let you off this time :p :D

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Living in the sticks is not an excuse for not buying something electric :p :D
But I'll let you off this time :p :D

More than happy to go EV now if your willing to stick your hand in your pocket to help out with the cost, but we are doing our bit as the Beemer is not new, so we are recycling. :xThumb:

Once we can get Yvette retired in a couple of years time then the plan is to go down to one car and that will be EV. :xgrin:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
What is it with SOME bikers who think they're invincible. I'm assuming both him and his brother will end up in court for yet more points it's just the carnage they cause on their way to A&E that's so annoying. Hope you get satisfaction in the end.
Added a word for accuracy.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Bloody hell, glad your good lady is ok.

Personally my p*** would be boiling and I’d be making sure the s*** hit the fan for the rider and or his brother.

As has been said there is a fund for uninsured drivers, we all pay into it.
Well those that bother to get insurance.

However I can’t forgive you buying another BMW ??

OP
OP
Two on Tour

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
However I can’t forgive you buying another BMW ??

Don't blame me, she's the one that liked and bought the Beemer, I wanted her to go for the Audi TT we test drove which was like a go kart on steroids. :Eeek:
I take it you have the same view with BMW bikes ?

R1guy

Free Member
Sep 7, 2018
East yorks
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years
What is it with bikers who think they're invincible. I'm assuming both him and his brother will end up in court for yet more points it's just the carnage they cause on their way to A&E that's so annoying. Hope you get satisfaction in the end.
Most bikers like myself know that we are not invincible. "the closer you are to death, the more alive you feel" There are selfish idiots in every type of vehicle out there (even motorhomes). But yes I am fed up of watching the insurance dodging fools on tv police shows getting stopped then receiving fines of a fraction of what their insurance would have been and also given points on a licence that they don't have. Where is the justice?

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
If he is uninsured you should be able to put a claim into the MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau). If the bike was insured by someone i.e. the brother you may have more joy. Very irritating and an offence that l believe is taken too lightly by Magistrates as people on the receiving end can be wildly out of pocket because of the actions of scroats.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Added a word for accuracy.

Should have maybe even changed it to "some road-users". Whether a bike, car, van, truck, etc. is the weapon of choice is immaterial, it's the mentality that matters.

And, in my experience on the road (mainly on four wheels, but occasionally on two), of that list the bike comes way down it in terms of the ones that endanger others in crazy risk-taking, probably because on two wheels you are much more aware of your vulnerability. It's when encased in your crumple-zone protected cage that you are more likely to feel invincible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back