Hazard Marker boards - Spain? (1 Viewer)

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Can anyone please confirm the legal requirements to fit hazard marker boards to the rear of a unit when driving in Spain please. I saw a Facebook post saying it was a requirement for all vehicles over 7.5m long but the caravan club website says only for rigs over 12m. Anyone KNOW the law please?

OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Yes thanks that's exactly the page I found when I checked but was concerned that I had seen contradictory information recently on FB

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It’s 12m which brings some car and caravan combinations into play, I put some on the back of a caravan a few years ago and still have them in the garage somewhere.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
If your talking about a vehicle towing a trailer / caravan over 12m you need marker the same as fitted to lorries. ?
Us taking the caravan down to Spain.
20131124_140928.jpg

If your talking about just a bike rack, regardless of length 6m or 9m you need a marker board. ? Bob.

20190614_122312.jpg

<Broken link removed>

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
No Not towing or bike rack fitted just a plain Moho with nothing hanging off the back. Cheers everyone Glad I asked

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
There are some very knowledgeable people on Facebook, as well as the “others”. You just have to learn to sort the wheat from the chaff, as you do on any online forum.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I would only add, in relation to the marker boards fitted to a unit in excess of 12 Mtrs. that if you are fitting the two smaller boards, they should be fitted as close as possible to the outermost part of the rear. I appreciate, as I found on our Caravan, (holds head in shame), that the very outermost part sometimes had a curved surface and therefore the boards could not be placed.
In addition, the boards should be on the same lateral axis, ie the same height. If fitting the longer board, it should be fitted centrally. as shown in Post 8 by bobandjanie.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
No idea on this one but looking at the photo of the board attached to the bikes is this really a requirement when the bike rack is fitted with lights & number plate?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No idea on this one but looking at the photo of the board attached to the bikes is this really a requirement when the bike rack is fitted with lights & number plate?
Yes. It is classed as an addition to the vehicle in excess of the homologated length .
On my spanish coachbuilt it was required pn the bike rack when not in use ,even though the rack was homologated & on the ficha tecnica registration docment. If you have bikes on a racj that extend either side past the oter edge of van but witing the wing miorror width p to a maximum of 2,44m you need 2 x V20 marker boards one pointing towards centre of road & one to the kerb

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Additionally they must also be enforcing it in the Uk as for the last few years I have noticed far more tractors having & V 20 on the 3 point linkage as the tractor does not come homologated with it.Also it is required for any attachment to the 3 point linkage that does not have road wheels. Same happens here.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Yes. It is classed as an addition to the vehicle in excess of the homologated length .
On my spanish coachbuilt it was required pn the bike rack when not in use ,even though the rack was homologated & on the ficha tecnica registration docment. If you have bikes on a racj that extend either side past the oter edge of van but witing the wing miorror width p to a maximum of 2,44m you need 2 x V20 marker boards one pointing towards centre of road & one to the kerb
If you are only required to have one board which way should it be pointing.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Caravan Club document says the 12m requirement is official in the first or second sentence.

12m Spanish Marker Board Rules

I searched 'Spain rules for Marker Boards to be displayed by caravans and motorhomes' on DuckDuckgo.com and the results form 3 or 4 sources, including Saga repeated the 12 metre rule. Better to be safe than sorry, and with my 8 or so words of Spanish, I really would not wish to enter into a debate on the finer points of Spanish motoring law with a police official who could fine or arrest me. My yellow streak of cowardice runs right down my spine, so if Elaine daubs some of her tanning lotion at a 45 degree angle and roughly evenly spaced, I could cling onto the back of the Van horizontally whenever we spot a traffic patrol ... (y) :LOL:

Steve

Deleted User
Always points to the centre of the road

A diagonal line points both ways, to be clear, and assuming this is what you mean, then the diagonal lines point downwards to the centre of the road.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back