LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
E mail sent have used in the past and were supposed to be going for New Year till work on Covid stepped up!
You'll always be welcome at the next meet , looking like 2nd week in June at the moment. Nothing confirmed as yet. I'm keen for it to be somehow tied in with Millport.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I have been asked if we can comment on this article. The common good fund wanted it to be free but a few of the 6 councillors oppose this. This is what I've replied. Please can you take a few minutes to write supporting the installation of an elsan point. Emails to be sent to jason@thehawickpaper.co.uk

I am writing regarding your article regarding the possible installation of the campervan elsan point in The Haugh car park.

As a motorhomer myself I think this is a fantastic idea and will be an added bonus to entice more motorhomers to visit your lovely town. It is a well known fact that the vast majority of visiting motorhomers try to give something back to the town they are visiting by spending in shops/.restaurants etc and helping to contribute to the local economy. So to install an elsan point would be a win win for both the town and the motorhomers. Motorhome aires are provided in almost every town centre abroad, most are free with bought token service charges for fresh water and toilet emptying ranging from 3-5 euros. Tokens create less theft opportunities.

As a motorhomer that frequents Hawick often I would be happy to pay the equivalent or up to ÂŁ5 for services provided.

Campsites out of town are more suitable to caravaners who can use their car to visit towns, whereas motorhomers cannot so it is important to be able to park up inside a town.

In these unprecedented times I can tell you most campsites are being booked up now in anticipation of Stay At Home Holidays taking place this summer , therefore it really would be great if Hawick could install this facility sooner rather than later.

View attachment 461318
E mail sent Sandra.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Any chance of you organising another meet at Lochore this summer? PLEASE

Sandra I dont think we shall be going abroad this year, so it is a possibility, but I won't commit until I see what the covid restrictions are, I dont want to get involved in social distancing arguments and limits of numbers gathering together.

But as staycation will be the norm for 2121 it would be a good idea to meet up.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Unless a miracle happens we wont see 2121, perhaps due to your exuberant hogmanay celebrations you may not have noticed we are 8.33% through 2021 and only 11 months from hogmanay and we have survived. I intend surviving cos there are lots of people I have yet to annoy. :love:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
perhaps due to your exuberant hogmanay celebrations you may not have noticed we are 8.33% through 2021 and only 11 months from hogmanay and we have survived. I intend surviving cos there are lots of people I have yet to annoy. :love:
What school did you go to, 2022 comes next not 2121 :giggler:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've emailed as well :) I didn't suggest a price just that we were happy to pay and that our favourire Aire (in Switzerland) has a credit card machine which was better than having to hunt for jetons or change.

I let them know we are "local" but have met up with friends at the aire and spent money in Hawick on a number of occasions.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
DONE !! Been there many times and usually eat out at least on one night (to give me a break lol )
The Saturday market used to be very good but sadly due to Covid was not so good last time we were there , loved our walk up and down the town a there is a couple of pubs allow us to take our dog in with us, plus pub lunches are really good value as well.
ÂŁ5 to use proper facilities without the worry of finding a place for water and Elsan is/will be a big bonus.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks everyone that responded. Here is a selection that was printed this week. I believe the council now has emails too.

Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 17.34.43.png

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Thanks for your efforts Sandra, e'mail sent.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sent it the day after you posted but didn't post on here - doh!!

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
thats nice I’m in the papers again 🤣🤣
I am pleased if the council take on board our messages and fund the dump station

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi irnbru Sandra, any further news on the councils planning decision at Millport?
Maybe that needs some support also, PM me if you like.
LES
Millport is well underway and I'm told it should be all finished in time for our summer meet. Cant wait to see it all done. (y)

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
It's great that you're actively doing something to promote facilities for us motorhomers - well done & thank you

Personally, I see very little evidence on this forum of people spending money in the local economy, some on here think buying a cup of coffee and a newspaper should give them a right to free camping and facilities for the weekend 🙂

Many others on here will share their cost saving ideas and how they stock up at budget supermarkets

Last week on this forum, there was a post about Blackpool and motorhomers spending money in the local economy - the next 4 posts were about how to do it cheaper!

Threads on the potential for the National Trust to provide facilities for motorhomes overnight, normally result in posts of 'I wouldn't pay that much'

In the past, when motorhomes came with limited cooking facilities and little or no refrigeration, it may be that motorhomers stayed on aires, ate out in local restaurants/bars in the evening and purchased their croissants & something for a picnic lunch the next day in local shops - but I'm not sure that's the case these days

Now, I have nothing against those who due to necessity or desire are thrifty - good for them. I'm also sure that there are motorhomers who do indeed spend a lot on their travels - but I would suggest not a "vast majority" and certainly a hard to prove "fact"

With social media (and that includes this site) motorhoming information is mostly visible to all, so my observations could just as easily be made by non-motorhomers (and indeed anti-motorhomers)

Please don't let my ramblings put you off, but I just think a bit of tempering may prevent negative feedback to your comments on the article

I'm probably gonna get flamed for my views, but most of them have been formed from being a member of this forum🙂
In the short time I've been a MH owner and user (mostly stuck indoors since I bought the machine, because of Covid) one of the great joys of ownership was trying local produce. A small group of us compare "notes" regarding food stuffs we've purchased.
Things like best steak / chicken / scotch pies / bridies, bacon, black pudding, chicken, eggs, cheese, sirloin, ham, fruit in season, fish and sea products, beer etc.

Largely we do breakfast and lunch in the van (sometimes picnic) and eat out on the first and last nights. We also usually frequent the local pubs. So we do spend a bob or two helping the local economy - and why not?

Looking forward to life easing as we get Covid under control. We've a idea of a grand tour of England's east coast:- Whitby, Scarborough, Cromer and Norfolk. And I'm sure the grub there will be ace!

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks but the time for sending emails has past. Not that it does any harm to send an email here and there. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back