EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
If the public toilets are free, or a very small cost compared to the charge for using an elsan, inevitably many will realise that and use the toilets to empty their cassette, as probably already happens now without the elsan point.

There probably needs to be a moderate charge simply for any basic maintenance and that sooner or later there would be some cleaning. And these days water is usually metered, so anyone filling their MH tanks is incurring a cost to the facility provider. I do think many will baulk at a £5 charge, you see too many posts on here that £20 for an overnight stay on a site including EHU is excessive. Any charge made will need to be sufficient that it makes the cost of collection alone worthwhile.
I did a calculation back in 2013 when the owner of a small site complained about people staying only one night and filling up with water. It seemed to me that on domestic water rates, a 100 litre fill-up would cost the owner 11p.

Domestic water in Scotland is not metered anyway, at least it wasn't when I lived in Selkirk, I don't know how much Hawick council would pay for it. ISTM that it is not so much a question of the cost of the water itself (which never seemed to be in short supply in Scotland), more a question of amortising the cost of installation and maintenance, and a little profit to make it worth the effort.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi Sandra irnbru will send e-mail as we used Hawick for one night last time we were up that way, and it was very good, felt safe enough, with a fresh water tap if needed.
I would have no objection to paying a fee to use the Elsan point, with cash or tokens. I feel it has to be that way to stop people taking advantage of using the facility en-route and not staying to use the local shops.

Maybe I read the car park rules incorrectly on the very late night we arrived, thick fog &very dark, but I thought it was a max 24 hour stay, so we left after lunch the next day having had a walk up the high street visited W spoons, and my first ever trip inside a B&M shop! we dont have any down south, strange place seems to sell everything:giggle:

The next stop was a set back from the road lay bye off the A9, where I was on litter picking duty as I could not bear to look at it.:swear: mind you the bins were over flowing which didn't help much.

Am I correct in thinking there are some MH parking spots in Jedburgh to see the Abbey and visit the town?
I think a couple of funsters mentioned they stayed there on their travels heading North.?

Hopefully we Funsters for the most part, dont take advantage of any generous offering by any council, and leave no trace, along with thanks on the councils website for providing any overnight facility, we use the local shops, pubs & cafe's, as much as we can, you get a better feel for a place that way, and some good conversations to boot.(y)
I just hope some people dont abuse, or overstay their welcome

Thanks & Best wishes.
LES & TinaL

Cheers Les, the car park was changed to 48 hrs but there is NO monitoring of it. New signage will be put up once the car park renovations are complete in May.

I obtained info from The Hawick Welcome Committee who do a fantastic job in looking after motorhomers interest, also as a back up got FOI last summer. In effect you can spend 48 hrs, drive out and straight back in again if you felt you wanted to.

You can stay in Jedburgh overnight if you wanted to. There are signs preventing you from overnighting but these have no legal standing and were put up without consultation as a few local residents were complaining. We stop there now and then before spending long weekends at Hawick.

Can I stress we offer just a pound or 2 for Hawick. I only said £5 at the most hoping others wouldn't come along and offer more.:LOL:

Millport got planning and the work starts Feb, should be done in time for our summer meet, covid allowing.

PS Les, I tried messaging you a few weeks ago but your settings dont allow it.

PPS The fresh water has always been there and free.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If the public toilets are free, or a very small cost compared to the charge for using an elsan, inevitably many will realise that and use the toilets to empty their cassette, as probably already happens now without the elsan point.

There probably needs to be a moderate charge simply for any basic maintenance and that sooner or later there would be some cleaning. And these days water is usually metered, so anyone filling their MH tanks is incurring a cost to the facility provider. I do think many will baulk at a £5 charge, you see too many posts on here that £20 for an overnight stay on a site including EHU is excessive. Any charge made will need to be sufficient that it makes the cost of collection alone worthwhile.
Please do give YOUR views. My thinking was we stay there usually 4 nights so £5 max is still a cheap weekend, and some campsites charge £7 just to fill and dump., but like i said previously it would be better if just a £ or 2 was offered by majority.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have sent our views we are more than happy to pay as it’s always stressful trying to find somewhere to empty and replenish Tanks.
thanks for posting😊🤞

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Called at the car park in Hawick last year between lockdowns as they were carrying out major flood alleviation work and I tallied up how much we spent in the town a total of £135, some bits for the van, a lunch, some books and a lovely pork pie from a small butchers shop who confirmed he made it himself.
Keep up the good work Hawick Council and I will be writing to them.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Have sent my view, but did not mention fee large or small as did not want to influence the councils decision as some only want a £ or 2 to be the fee, wait with baited breath to see outcome, won’t hold it to long tho. 🙊

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have sent my view, but did not mention fee large or small as did not want to influence the councils decision as some only want a £ or 2 to be the fee, wait with baited breath to see outcome, won’t hold it to long tho. 🙊
Oh ye have no faith. It IS going to happen. Just you wait and see. :)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
It's great that you're actively doing something to promote facilities for us motorhomers - well done & thank you

Personally, I see very little evidence on this forum of people spending money in the local economy, some on here think buying a cup of coffee and a newspaper should give them a right to free camping and facilities for the weekend 🙂

Many others on here will share their cost saving ideas and how they stock up at budget supermarkets

Last week on this forum, there was a post about Blackpool and motorhomers spending money in the local economy - the next 4 posts were about how to do it cheaper!

Threads on the potential for the National Trust to provide facilities for motorhomes overnight, normally result in posts of 'I wouldn't pay that much'

In the past, when motorhomes came with limited cooking facilities and little or no refrigeration, it may be that motorhomers stayed on aires, ate out in local restaurants/bars in the evening and purchased their croissants & something for a picnic lunch the next day in local shops - but I'm not sure that's the case these days

Now, I have nothing against those who due to necessity or desire are thrifty - good for them. I'm also sure that there are motorhomers who do indeed spend a lot on their travels - but I would suggest not a "vast majority" and certainly a hard to prove "fact"

With social media (and that includes this site) motorhoming information is mostly visible to all, so my observations could just as easily be made by non-motorhomers (and indeed anti-motorhomers)

Please don't let my ramblings put you off, but I just think a bit of tempering may prevent negative feedback to your comments on the article

I'm probably gonna get flamed for my views, but most of them have been formed from being a member of this forum🙂
Nice post. Thank you.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks Kenny, you are a star too and you'll be an even bigger one if you can reply to council link below or bump the thread when it gets off the first page. :LOL:

Ashley F

Funster
Jul 26, 2016
Redcar
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
2 years
I have just emailed and suggested that it might make sense to have 2 separate tokens, one for elsan, one for fresh water given one is required more often than the other. Just my opinion 🤷😁

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have just emailed and suggested that it might make sense to have 2 separate tokens, one for elsan, one for fresh water given one is required more often than the other. Just my opinion 🤷😁
Great stuff Ashley,now that your in the mood PLEASE can you do the one above your post too. :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi Sandra, ive just sent a mail off to the link you provided..
as you know ive used the facilities at Hawick in the past, and dedicated chemical disposal facility would be a great addition..
Andy

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
hi Sandra, ive just sent a mail off to the link you provided..
as you know ive used the facilities at Hawick in the past, and dedicated chemical disposal facility would be a great addition..
Andy
Much appreciated Andy, you've also spent a fair few times in East Lothian so dare I ask if you can contribute to that post too. See post 49

Its for all our benefits, if only more folk could see that.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I know we are all emailing but am I right in th inking this is just a newpaper reporter chap.

hes not the council or councilor, so whats it to him

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I know we are all emailed but am I right in th inking this is just a newpaper reporter chap.

hes no the council or councilor
I know what you are saying, but trust me , having been involved with several sources these emails will also be winging their way to those concerned. (y)

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
E mail sent have used in the past and were supposed to be going for New Year till work on Covid stepped up!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back