Having one door? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
Still looking for m/home keep seeing Niesmann&bischol Arto like the layout but worry about one door opening in U/K onto road.Also if in car park ,parks to close cannot open door ?
Any thoughts Terry

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Arto is available with an extra door in the cab area as an extra.

We didn’t opt for it on our new Arto purely because we never used the cab door on our last van.

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Had mine 8 years never been a problem, there is two large sliding windows in case of an emergency also only one door to worry about security wise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
We have just the one door on our Arto and yes you have be careful about exiting when in the UK and in our case we can only reverse very carefully up our drive as there is about 2 inches of space between the low roof of our house and the back of the van , if we drive up we cant get out as the fence is too close .Having said all that its no big deal and we like the extra space and panoramic views with the A class like everything in life its a compromise .

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Only had one door on my Yankee, and same on my Flair. With an A class I don't see the point in more than one door... unless I am tempting fate here and the door lock fails to release.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have what Hymer euphemistically call a "drivers door". On the UK nearside. However its footwell is where my good lady stores her knitting, handbag, other lady stuff, and is therefore unusable. It has never been a problem for us.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Had mine 8 years never been a problem, there is two large sliding windows in case of an emergency also only one door to worry about security wise.

We have an Arto, also for 8 years, and totally agree with that post's contents. Cab doors seem to attract quite a few break-ins - maybe because the scrotes are used to breaking into cars/vans etc. and do not have the flexibility of thinking to just use the acrylic windows on a MH.

As for a car parking too close, in many car parks e.g. supermarket I park well away from the bulk of cars and straddle two spaces, or where there are trees which stop adjacent space being used - not possible where there are rules against it, but not normally applicable to private(s/market) car parks. I observe many others doing the same.

The Arto is a great vehicle so do not let the single door put you off. Mike's comment about the panoramic view is relevant, especially when touring Alps and Pyrenees - you can see the whole mountain, also it makes the lounge area feel the same as a rear lounge, without losing the garage.

Geoff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our Hymer has a drivers door but only ever use it at fuel station stops, wouldn't bother me if it wasn't there.

Edit:
Does make starter battery access eaiser as it is under the drivers footwell and easier access when I'm doing mods and adding loads of wiring.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We have had two Artos, neither had doors other than the habitation door. Never had any problems at all.

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Still looking for m/home keep seeing Niesmann&bischol Arto like the layout but worry about one door opening in U/K onto road.Also if in car park ,parks to close cannot open door ?
Any thoughts Terry

We have had our Arto six years , never been a problem.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My hab door is on UK offside, so in a breakdown It`d be stepping out into motorway traffic :confused:
As a result I`d use the cab nearside door to exit but this has an external security lock so I (try) to remember to unlock it prior to leaving if I`m doing any lengthy motorway journeys.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
My hab door is on UK offside, so in a breakdown It`d be stepping out into motorway traffic :confused:

Motorways have a hard shoulder for breakdowns - why would you be stepping into traffic?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Motorways have a hard shoulder for breakdowns - why would you be stepping into traffic?
Because the hard shoulder is adjacent to lane 1 and the hab door is on the van RH side stepping out onto lane 1 potentially, like ours but it doesn't keep me awake at night worrying about it;) as a matter of fact I don't give it any thought.

Martin

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
UK Nearside cab, offside hab here. Like the flexibility of two doors and use the cab a lot even though we’re RHD.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Because the hard shoulder is adjacent to lane 1 and the hab door is on the van RH side stepping out onto lane 1 potentially, like ours but it doesn't keep me awake at night worrying about it;) as a matter of fact I don't give it any thought.

Martin

No, we don't give it any thought either.... I just don't think it would be an issue. The hard shoulder is wide enough to take an articulated lorry, there would be plenty of room to step out from a motorhome.

We've always had our single hab door on the RH side and never had an issue in the UK or on the continent.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It does seem strange that you get less by paying more.
I had one for several years and only once had a problem. We were penned in on a ferry, too close to a stanchion. By the time we'd moved enough to open the door, the deck had been closed off! Just something to try and remember when you have one.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They are doing away/have done away with many hard shoulders ,likeM3, this is how a "smart" motorway is arrived at. making the now inside lane a disaster waiting to happen.

No, we don't give it any thought either.... I just don't think it would be an issue. The hard shoulder is wide enough to take an articulated lorry, there would be plenty of room to step out from a motorhome.

We've always had our single hab door on the RH side and never had an issue in the UK or on the continent.
There certainly isn't room to open a hab door & step out without being sucked into lane way by traffic. Try getting dogs etc? out .

Even worse with only the one door is if you actually break down here ( abroad) where there is no full hard shoulder & to access door exit requires being in the inside lane.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The advantage of no doors at the front is better insulation, removing cold spots 'up front'.
If you drive abroad (highly recommended) you'll find that the door's on the right side.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
They are doing away/have done away with many hard shoulders ,likeM3, this is how a "smart" motorway is arrived at. making the now inside lane a disaster waiting to happen.

There certainly isn't room to open a hab door & step out without being sucked into lane way by traffic. Try getting dogs etc? out .

Even worse with only the one door is if you actually break down here ( abroad) where there is no full hard shoulder & to access door exit requires being in the inside lane.

Well, all I can say is that after having owned two Artos we have never had any of the problems you describe.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
If you stopped in your car, would you get out on the passenger side?
On a motorway or fast/busy dual carriageway, some other fast & busy roads - YES!!!!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The advantage of no doors at the front is better insulation, removing cold spots 'up front'.
If you drive abroad (highly recommended) you'll find that the door's on the right side.

Until you break down on a motorway & are trapped against the armco.

If you stopped in your car, would you get out on the passenger side?
On any of the new 'smart' ? motorways , yes. To do anything else would be asking to at the very least have the drivers door torn off ., more than likely killed /injured.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back