Having a renewal Insurance problem (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
My mother in law is 90 years and no longer drives her car, so through the insurance she is the owner of the car and her sons are the named drivers of the car, insurance happy with this

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I've spent a fair part of my life alternating between suing insurers (for clients) and also advising insurance companies.

The fact that you have put this onto a public forum and identified the agency concerned (who are also members here) in the process could do you no favours I'm afraid.

As the registered keeper would not be the main driver, and isn't qualified to drive this category of vehicle in any case, I think it quite possible that you would encounter a problem in any claim situation as there are clear grounds for revocation of your policy ("knowingly providing misleading or inaccurate information" or "failure to disclose relevant information" - in this case the absence of C1 on the part of the named main driver)

It is important to bear in mind that where insurance is refused because of a suspected policy irregularity, it is recorded on insurer's databases. This could seriously affect your ability to get insurance at reasonable premiums (or even at any price) in the future.

However, you are of course only talking hypothetically, there is obviously no suggestion of intended impropriety on your part

I am no fan of Comfort for reasons I will not go into here, perhaps you should try telling another and perhaps more independent broker (AIB or Safeguard?) who could tailor an individual policy to suit your specific circumstances? That's what I did so that I could leave my M/H unattended for more than 36 hours in another EU country. Alternatively, as already suggested, why not regularise the situation and simply transfer the ownership to yourself, if the last name is the same then it will not devalue the vehicle? Anything has to be better than risking the consequence of prosecution and possibly civil proceedings (in the event of an accident) for being uninsured or worse.

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear, a

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I don't think so, it is against the law to insure someone else's properrty, including their life.

Providing that you have an insurance interest you can insure the lives of other people!

For example a wife can insure the life of her husband and vice versa. Employers can insure the lives of key staff etc.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Have you thought of registering in both names? I don't think this will add another keeper.
And I really don't think another keeper will make any difference. :)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
This was all sorted in January. It's a 6 month old thread.:)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Try telling the High Court Enforcement Officers that ! anyone who watches Call the Sherrifs or Can't pay we'll take it away will know that the registered keeper is not necesserily the owner!

A typical example of that is if the vehicle is on finance... (y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just as an add on to this one.
When we bought our current 'van (our only one) I knew that the previous owner had died.
When I looked at the V5 I saw that the Executor of the deceased had managed to put himself down as the Registered Keeper.
Whilst it was recorded as such on the V5, you have to wonder at this blokes mental capacity for being a Pillock of the first water.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
had our van for 1 year, though 4 years old, only when we had to apply for various documents for driving in Germany, Austria etc did we notice that the V5 said it had 6 wheels - it only has 4, neither the garage who first sold it or the owner or the next garage that bought it and sold it to us had noticed the error, we had to get COC from where van was made before we could change the V5, so beware and check V5 when purchasing a 2nd hand van make to sure it has what it says it has on the van is the same as the V5.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
If it don't say it on their computer screen ! They are lost!!! You then get the same lines repeated time and time again until you give up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back