Having a pedantic brain can be a nuisance sometimes (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Title of thread - dont worry you are in good company Motorhome fun forums are full of them 😂🤣

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
With the pandemic etc. I haven't been to Merry Hell for years now. 🤔
Arrived there one Xmas Eve, shortly after Merry Hell opened, and wandered into Halfords where the queue was just about to the door and moving at its usual Halfords service pace. Lots of dark mutterings about the waiting time, until a voice from the back of the queue boomed out 'Ah had a shave afore I cum 'ere. At this rate I shall need another bugger ...' :LOL:

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
My word, talk about memory lane ! I was born in Throne Crescent, raised in Throne Road, had a business for many years on the entrance to Accles & Pollocks in Brades Road. Lived for many years by Muclows Hill.

I still consider myself a Black Country Lad despite living in Aberdeenshire for 17 years.

With apologies to the OP for stealing the thread !!
Very old Black Country joke about the sign erectors [Aynuk & Ayli?] who arrive at Accles & Pollock and begin working at opposite ends of the structure, planning to meet in the middle, where they will manoeuvre the letter 'P' into place. To their horror, they realise a major mistake, having only a letter 'B' left ... 'We'm med a raht mistake 'ere, Aynuk, we might get the sack for this,' says Ayli

'When the gaffer finds out about wot we did at the London Brick Company, it's guaranteed,' replied Aynuk ... :LOL:

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Title of thread - dont worry you are in good company Motorhome fun forums are full of them 😂🤣
Might be related to the psychological challenge of having to use the toilet cassette off grid ... Does tend towards the anal retentive ... :unsure::LOL:

Steve

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
..... when it doesn't serve any useful purpose. There is a thread running just now asking for recommendations of places to stay in Scotland asking others to recommend aires etc.

'Aire' is merely shorthand for, 'Aire de stationnement de camping cars' (avec ou sans service) and Brain says you can't have one in Scotland cos their native language ain't French! - and indicates to me that it's now irritated - even though I know damn well a) exactly what the poster wants help with and b) that this is very much along the same lines as Jim not wanting us to keep correcting spelling mistakes on the forum ie I have to accept that - BUT! how the hell can I stop the inside of my head reacting this way when it's ingrained so deeply it's as autonomous as blinking - without continuing to enjoy the forum?

(Joke being of course that if I was to go to Coventry whoever happened to send me, it's 100 or so yards away from our front door and we both went yesterday to one daughter's house (further than 100yds) anyway!)
My brain gets aggrievated when the word UNI is used,,,don't know why,, or somebody being interviewed starting each sentence with SO..BUSBY.😃😃😃

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So, Busby ...... you'd rather Ah said Ah day goo ter Univairsity? and then ask yer, Con yer tell that? - but it's only shorthand to save having to type (or say) the 'versity' - unless when it's in capitals it means something entirely different which I'm not aware of.

Starting sentences with 'So' is a pet hate of my beloved rather than me - but it appears that Jake Royd and his wife are clones of me and Trophychap anyway - ex printer, see, banks up piles of paper, magazines, etc to his hearts content and can still fan a whole brand new ream of A4 prior to loading it into a printing press or computer laser printer or whatever. Meanwhile, once I've drunk three parts of a cuppa, I usually forget to drink the rest too, then wonder why I'm thirsty again an hour later, when we've both only just had a drink? Almost breaks his heart when we have to buy ONE ream of A4, instead of it being delivered by the pallet from the paper merchant! However Mr Royd, I am slightly taken aback to be referred to as 'he'. I heard about a boy named Sue some time ago, but not as yet met one christened Jennifer - but even at 70+ it's still possible to learn something new every day so in the parlance of yoof, Whatevva .......

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am pedantic but it held me in good stead in two professions, which helped to buy the MH - so why should I stop being pedantic on a MH forum?:LOL:

I am now starting to be pedantic about British people moving over to use US English expressions and spelling, which probably results from watching American TV and films(N.B. not 'movies'). One pet hate of mine is calling a TV Current affairs programme a 'show', which word to my mind should be reserved for entertainment programmes (N.B. not 'programs')

Anyone want to join me?

Geoff

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
One pet hate of mine is calling a TV Current affairs programme a 'show', which word to my mind should be reserved for entertainment programmes (N.B. not 'programs')

Anyone want to join me?
Yep, it makes me squirm too, especially when it's in their smarmy opening greeting of "Hi. How are you?" when they haven't the slightest interest in the interviewer's or anyone else's wellbeing. Plus the "Hi. Thanks for inviting/having me [on your show]...........", trying to assume a relaxed attitude knowing full well that they are about to get a good kicking from the interviewer for their incompetence, lack of knowledge, alleged fraud, polluting industry, sexual misdemeanours, lies, or the myriad of other attributes essential to achieving political or commercial success and/or media celebrity.

Conrad J

Free Member
Jul 10, 2020
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 646
Exp
Since 1999.
My word, talk about memory lane ! I was born in Throne Crescent, raised in Throne Road, had a business for many years on the entrance to Accles & Pollocks in Brades Road. Lived for many years by Muclows Hill.

I still consider myself a Black Country Lad despite living in Aberdeenshire for 17 years.

With apologies to the OP for stealing the thread !!
Don't mean to be pedantic, but you're a bit off the topic!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Mary Queen of Scots was pretty much French - so maybe the term Aires originated in the 16th Century 😂😂
Doesn't really matter, not least because the English language is riddled with terms that are either appropriated from other languages or corrupted and then taken, so enjoy eating your pieces of sofas when your neighbour offers you a selection of canapés at his/her party. And,whilst making small talk with the neighbour whose name you can never remember, reflect on the term 'chattering' as coming from the Indian sub Continent to describe the process of delousing, as practised by Indian soldiers in the WW1 trenches, the polite conversation they made whilst removing nits and lice, becoming 'chattering'.

But, perhaps you don't give a 'By your leave or a San Fairy Ann', the latter being a corruption of the French 'Cela ne fait rien' ['That doesn't matter'], which takes us back to the opening phrase of this post, and a good place to quit before Funsters lose the will to live ... :LOL:

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Speaking of which why do people very rarely die these days, they seem to pass instead. Does this make passing someone in the street a near death experience? :smiley:
With COVID, very possibly!

I was involved with the introduction of a phase of the Consumer Credit Act legislation some 35 years ago, working with the Bank's solicitors [think15w bulb in a chandelier to get an idea ...] and we sought Counsel's opinion on the wording of the clause that said a Lender may not approach a potential borrower during the Cooling Off period. The QC said that if we saw the customer walking towards us in the street, we should, to comply with the law, turn around and walk in the same direction [i.e. whence we came] to avoid 'approaching the customer' ... (y)

Nobody sends me messages any more; they 'reach out by email or text' , to which I respond invariably by reaching out to extend my right arm and raisin either one finger or two, depending on my mood .... :LOL:

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back