Have your plans for touring changed this year? (1 Viewer)

Have your plans for touring changed this year?

• I was always going to stay UK based

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • I will be going to the continent come what may

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • I will probably go but change travel from Chunnel to ferry

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I will probably go but avoid France completely

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I will probably go but just use France as access to the rest of Europe

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • I will go and only go to France

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • I will now stay in the UK and forego other travel in MH

Votes: 44 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
First of all I have no financial or other interest in ferry companies or the Chunnel.

I did have, before Covid, plans to visit Europe a few times. We are not very long stayers in our visits, three weeks max normally. We were definitely planning a trip to Denmark, probably Germany around the Rhine etc, and even more time in France getting to se some of the bits we have not seen (which is a lot despite many visits to Normandy, Brittany and Picardy). It’s fair to say that in the bits we have been to in France we have always found the people, food and customs, as well as the scenery and weather brilliant.

Looking in the past few days at ferry and Chunnel prices, the latter in particular, we are now doubtful. The current political climate is not helpful either, so as of right now plans we were hoping to make are being rapidly readjusted not directly related to covid. In fact, all the Covid impact was down to moving trips into later in the year when other countries would be catching up vaccine wise, and surprisingly even to us it had moved from no chance to yes we will go. Then the other issues kicked in.

it would be interesting to see what is swaying others thoughts. OK not sociologically scientific, but when ever were polls on here that scientific.

if you vote, thanks in advance.

Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2020
We started motorhoming in March 2020 with a plan to stay in the UK in 2020 and then go across to France in 2021. The shortened 2020 season meant that we didn't get to do all that we wanted to in the UK, so we're quite happy to carry on with that this year. The disruption , uncertainty and increased costs of going abroad puts me off doing anything this year anyway. We'll wait until 2022 to go abroad, when hopefully things will settle down.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
To be honest we don't as a rule plan much. However, with a son, and grandchildren, living in France two, or even three trips a year had become the norm. At least one trip in the van, others by Eurostar or car. It's sixteen months since we saw them and I consider it unlikely that we'll see them this year. My other son is only a couple of hundred miles from us and we saw him and his family last week for the first time in fifteen months.
Should conditions change it is possible we'll go but doesn't seem likely at present. To be fair we are going away in the van next week, a whole 15 miles to a beach site near us, dipping a toe in the water so to speak.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We were going to Spain in October for two weeks, but due to the unknown, we have decided to stay in UK instead. We were in Egypt last year when lockdown hit over there and just managed to get the last flights out before all air travel in-and out of Egypt was stopped. I dont want to be in a position where something similar happens or we have to spend time in isolation on our return. We have rebooked ferries to France next year and will spend our October leave touring Suffolk & Norfolk instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I might have ventured over to the West of Southern Ireland, but that would have needed a fortnight or so to justify and already I've not got enough time off work to take such a break. France or wider Europe probably needs to wait till retirement. Plenty of places in England, Scotland, Wales to explore in the next couple of years so in practice both the Pandemic, and Europe travel restrictions / costs of ferries have limited impact to my current expectations.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We decided early on this year that with the combination of covid and political agitation after B-----t we don't want the hassle of leaving the UK this year. We'll stay UK and explore a few places we haven't been as well as revisit where we've not been for a while - but try and do it outside peak season as it's gonna get awfully crowded out there!

But, subject to everything calming down and borders opening up, we're planning our usual winter in the sun again in the New Year.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have an advantage as we are already on the Continent.

We have booked ferries to Greece and onward to Patmos island, see here

Waiting till nearer the time to decide route from Katowice to Ancona.

We will both have 2x vaccinations before then but may need a PCR for Germany if that proves easiest.

Geoff

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Uk only this year. Not worried about Covid just can’t see the point nothing will feel the same till everyone gets back to feeling normal who want to get there to be told you can’t do this, that or the other😩😩

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Love it if I could fix my Cristal ball.
In it I would see that the whole Covid thing dies down and Europeans are vaccinated to the same level as the uk.
Also all these variants the keep telling use about have no effect as we are vaccinated.

If all was true, would cross the channel in end of June.
Travel to Bulgaria and Romania for a few months ( out of the Schengen Zone)
Back home for the Carlisle city Fireshow then Christmas at home on the 27th December drive to Spain/Portugal then across to Morocco for 3 months back to Portugal travel in the mountains Spanish/Portugal boarder.
All keeping in our 90/180 limits.

I could ask my Granddaughter to have a chat with the fairies, they might have an idea of what will be?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We had a trip to Croatia booked with GB motorhome tours from the last week in August and then the whole of September. We were reluctant anyway and as soon as Claire said that might be when she gets leave to come home from Bangladesh that was the final nail in that coffin. We could have left our deposit but I emailed them this week as there’s a waiting list still for the tour to give someone else a chance, it felt selfish as we didn’t really want to go anyway. We have transferred it to next year.

I’d rather stay in the UK this year where it looks like we are going to be relatively free and relatively safe, I don’t want a half assed trip to Europe with the worry of changing rules.

The only way I’d go abroad this year would be if it meant I could see Claire somewhere a bit earlier but then I really wouldn’t care what the scenery was like! Her beautiful face plus hugs would be enough for me, I haven’t seen her since October. The longest we’ve been apart since she was born nearly 31 years ago.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've booked ferry in to the UK for July and hopefully won't be requiring test to enter France, attestations, night curfews ,etc,or a test for entering UK.🤞
Quarantine, Jac will be exempt but haven't worked out what I do.:LOL:

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Pity there wasn’t an option about delaying plans until later in the year when the position for travel is clearer.
Booked Norway from 17th May but have just cancelled hopefully next year. May go to France/Italy later in this year.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I've booked ferry in to the UK for July and hopefully won't be requiring test to enter France, attestations, night curfews ,etc,or a test for entering UK.🤞
Quarantine, Jac will be exempt but haven't worked out what I do.:LOL:
I would hope that anyone coming from a country with fewer of it population vaccinated will be required to isolate in a hotel at their own expense.

OP
OP
grumps147

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
I would hope that anyone coming from a country with fewer of it population vaccinated will be required to isolate in a hotel at their own expense.
Government announcements today seem to indicate a traffic light system on return to the UK. Red country and you have to go into full hotel lockdown, amber country and it’s home isolation. Green country, just testing. All have to provide a negative test before return, and so many days afterwards. I don’t have the exact details, check the govt web site.

OP
OP
grumps147

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
glenn2926 just found it ...

Green listGreen watchlist - moves from or to amber or red list
AustraliaWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
BruneiWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
Falkland IslandsWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
Faroe IslandsWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
GibraltarWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
IcelandWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
Israel and JerusalemWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
New ZealandWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
Portugal (including the Azores and Madeira)Will move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
SingaporeWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
South Georgia and South Sandwich IslandsWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.
St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da CunhaWill move to green from the amber list at 4am, 17 May. If you arrive in England before then, you need to follow the amber list rules.

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
We moved ours like that.
I keep seeing people saying now we’re vaccinated it’s all ok? Nothing has changed you still stand just as much chance of catching it or carrying it the only thing that’s changed is a higher percentage of people won’t get ill enough to block the hand full of itu beds the uk have.
I think for this year it’s just easier to stay in the uk and also help boost the small shops with a bit more cash👍

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We moved ours like that.
I keep seeing people saying now we’re vaccinated it’s all ok? Nothing has changed you still stand just as much chance of catching it or carrying it the only thing that’s changed is a higher percentage of people won’t get ill enough to block the hand full of itu beds the uk have.
I think for this year it’s just easier to stay in the uk and also help boost the small shops with a bit more cash👍
So today’s news re the Pfizer vaccine being 95% effective in preventing the vaccinated from catching Covid once they have had both doses is a lie then? Glad you cleared that up.
Perhaps I should take more notice of you than of the scientists that presented this information in future.
You really do not want this to end do you?

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
As Phil is only 35 we decided at the start of the year to tour the uk as we didn’t know when he will get his covid jab. Thoroughly loving the uk at the minute although we have done Cornwall Devon and Dorset, lovely locations.

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Decided to stay in the UK this year, I dont want the stress of changing rules and tests. Racing home from Portugal last year was not much fun. I got home the day before lockdown.
So I am going to work a bit longer than planned and have weekends this summer. I do locum work.

But, very excited to say we have rented a narrowboat for 9 months, from November, to see if we like that lifestyle too. If I can manage continuou cruising the cut in winter, I think it will be lovely, in spring and summer.

Karen

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Booking nothing too much in advance.
Booked a few nights in Plassey this week for 25th May.
Want to go to Euroland from end Aug early Sept but wont book our first couple of nights until much closer the time. It will be dependant on the situation in Euro at the time. After the 1st couple of nights it will be a case of who knows where we might be on any given night.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
We made the decision last year to stay in UK this year. Not out of fear of travelling or catching anything but more the potential for disruption or general pi55-arsing about with tests and quarantine etc and the risk that the situation could change wherever and the restaurants shut (eating is very much a favourite hobby for us). We both work and that was also a major consideration.
Every cloud and all that. Management had never been to the Lake District, so we ticked that one off last year. This year she wants to try Yorkshire. I am happy wherever we go, be it 5 miles or 500.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Decided to stay in the UK this year, I dont want the stress of changing rules and tests. Racing home from Portugal last year was not much fun. I got home the day before lockdown.
So I am going to work a bit longer than planned and have weekends this summer. I do locum work.

But, very excited to say we have rented a narrowboat for 9 months, from November, to see if we like that lifestyle too. If I can manage continuou cruising the cut in winter, I think it will be lovely, in spring and summer.

Karen
Will you be a continuous cruiser or hanker down in a marina in the middle of winter ? We have watched some YouTube narrow boats and admit some bits look really nice other not so. Definitely some nice boats out there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back