Have you seen the new Pilote Joa Camp models? Thought? (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all

I shall shortly be in the market for a new motorhome - and I do mean new. I've read a lot of advice on going for new/used vehicles and I've decided that for my plans, I want new.

The Pilote Joa Camp 70Q (no specific reason to link to this site - it's just one of the only sites with a decent spec and pics at the moment) is looking really attractive to me. There are a few extras that I'm going to need, chief amongst them an extra bed for occasional use. Fitted with all optional extras (including the bed and the usual gubbings) it comes in at just shy of £52k. It's coming out in January 2022 which is bang on the time I'm looking at.

I shall be travelling solo with the odd visit (hence the extra bed option) and everything about this seems perfect for me.

Interested to hear what seasoned MH experts think.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
No pic of the bathroom. Nowhere to lounge full length. Very sparse cooking facilities. Not for me.

By 'payload' when we ask that, we mean how much can we carry, additional to the weight of the vehicle and what Pilote have already put in it - not what driving licence one needs to drive it on the road.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Payload at nearly 7Mts could be tight with full tanks, water & Fuel, plus 2 leisure batteries, solar panels maybe, large garage to keep bikes and other junk in is so tempting.
No mention of the MIRA weight that's the vans weight from the factory before any additions are added, deduct that figure when known, from the MTPLM (Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass) which is 3500KG's, and the difference is your usable payload.
Best advice get it weighed on a weigh bridge with a certificate from your dealer before parting with any money, so many 1st timers have been caught out with vans that are not useable and that will continue no doubt. Many think if a vans been built with 4 belted seats, sleeps 4 etc, then it must have been designed to be safe & usable for 4 with all their kit...so wrong in many cases.

Think about upgrading engine to 160BHP it will be much better on that sized van, manual or new auto box whatever suits you.
Good luck, welcome to FUN.
LES

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Posted in error

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Have you any idea of delivery time, you say it comes out in january 2022 but have you asked a dealer ? Because of the current shortages some manufacturers have already sold their 2022 models

OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have you any idea of delivery time, you say it comes out in january 2022 but have you asked a dealer ? Because of the current shortages some manufacturers have already sold their 2022 models
Yes. I have asked a dealer website sort of close to me to give me a delivery estimate. Their site says 'taking orders' so we'll see.

OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Payload at nearly 7Mts could be tight with full tanks, water & Fuel, plus 2 leisure batteries, solar panels maybe, large garage to keep bikes and other junk in is so tempting.
Many think if a vans been built with 4 belted seats, sleeps 4 etc, then it must have been designed to be safe & usable for 4 with all their kit...so wrong in many cases.

Think about upgrading engine to 160BHP it will be much better on that sized van, manual or new auto box whatever suits you.
Good luck, welcome to FUN.
LES
Thanks for this advice. I've seen a number of comments on van engine size so will definitely take this into account.

I will be travelling almost exclusively solo with very occasional visits from one other person and I live pretty minimally. Given that, how do you feel about the weight allowance remaining.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
The French motorhome press are describing the range as budget end, one review Here it's in French but Google will translate, or one other Here
Not too much detail at the moment but I'm sure the press will have them soon for a proper review.

I'm a big Pilote fan having owned several through the years but the last few years has seen many complaints and problems, there have been many reports on Pilote forums of the last couple of year vans having many faults with their habitation electrics, they have changed from using Schaudt Elektroblocks to Scheiber, utilising touch screen interface for the control of living area electrics and the cab head unit. Hopefully that has now been resolved but worth doing a bit of research before committing to a purchase.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
For a 7 metre van it looks very cluttered inside, not a lot of space, I think even for one person this would feel a bit restrictive, also if it’s the budget end van it won’t have longevity!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The French web site says "Charge utile 800kg" which I guess is payload, if you are as you say solo and fairly minimal that should be enough.

Half of the van floorpan is taken up with the island bed;) OK but at the expense of space in the daytime areas ie kitchen and lounge.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I become a first time Pilote owner in 2019, I'm also on Pilote forums, Facebook etc and have to agree there are some criticisms of the electric controls. We must have been very lucky as we've had very few problems, any have been minor and, in part, due to our lack of knowledge.

The building quality is excellent and probably better than any van owned in 30+ years of motorhoming.

I would not hesitate to buy Pilote or any marque from this manufacturer. This new model is classed as "budget" and it will be interesting to see how savings have been made. If less hi-tec electric controls have been used then that may be an improvement.

OP
OP
SirPooley
Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
How do you come to that conclusion.......has to be expensive to last?. ..really?
I'm quite amazed by how motorhomes seem to hold their value. It's one of the reasons I like the idea of buying new and touring the UK for a couple of years. After that I'll either be a van lifer for ever or I'll have scratched my lifelong itch and will sell on.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
My thoughts are that the lounge area looks extremely cramped. If you’re going to have another bed I assume it will be a drop down? If that’s the case it will make the lounge feel even smaller. Do they do a transverse bed instead of the island bed? If so, it could give you a more useable living area.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My thoughts are that the lounge area looks extremely cramped. If you’re going to have another bed I assume it will be a drop down? If that’s the case it will make the lounge feel even smaller. Do they do a transverse bed instead of the island bed? If so, it could give you a more useable living area.
Looking on the French website Broken Link Removed they all have the cramped Eurolounge at the front which is a big off put if you like lounging around inside. It looks like Joa camp might be similarly placed to Mooveo, the other Pilote budget brand.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Interesting as a modern entry level model (for Pilote range) for those buying new. Shame that the campervan models don't also have the swing wall bathroom as it's a great use of space. This model starts at £53k:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Thinking of buying a Joa Camper 75t, would anyone happen to have any positive/negative opinions to share? Thanks🚐👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back