Have you fitted a grab handle to the B pillar of a Ducato? (1 Viewer)

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Looking for someone who has actually done this.

When hiring a RV in the US one of the most helpful features was a grab handle on the B pillar to help getting in. Granted the RV was a lot higher from the ground than a Ducato however asking someone not to use the armrest as a handle to pull on to get into her seat is not conducive to harmony! I can see them advertised on eBay however I can’t see installation instructions and nothing on YouTube.

My concern is removing the B pillar cover without breaking it and how to actually fix the thing as I doubt there would be pre drilled fixing points.

If you have fitted one, if so how easy was it?

Thanks.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
On a previous earlier van, yes, but it is complicated by cables running behind. The plastics unclip to expose the metalwork, then drill and install rivnuts to take the bolts. Oversize the holes you put in the corresponding plastic when replacing, as this will help with alignment

OP
OP
Andy MacD
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks. Perhaps not as straightforward as I had hoped.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I have done it on the mk7 transit..
As you say a really handy gadget for folk climbing in and out of the cab..
Even though i'd seen commercially available ones on mini buses and presumed there must be fitting points on the pillar...I just fabricated my own out of box section steel and put a flange on each end which allowed bolting to the post.. I just careful cut round the plastic trim and refitted it around my post..
It wasn't as pretty as the ones I'd seen on the mini buses but served its purpose just as well..
If I can find any photos I'll post one.. but sadly I no longer have that vehicle..

Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
As I said not very pretty but it was a solid grab handle (y) :ROFLMAO:
9B98187F-6B16-4F3A-A3E6-8A774682CA2F_1_105_c.jpeg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The frontal post supporting the windscreen is usually referred to as the "A" pillar. The next upright that the front door shuts on and hosts the seat belt anchorages the "B" pillar. This carries on with subsequent structural uprights as you go backwards down the vehicle

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The frontal post supporting the windscreen is usually referred to as the "A" pillar. The next upright that the front door shuts on and hosts the seat belt anchorages the "B" pillar. This carries on with subsequent structural uprights as you go backwards down the vehicle
Thats right.. but the grab handles I've seen on say a mini bus were all on the front or A post.. seems like a good place to mount one on an ordinary van to help people into the cab
Andy

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Quite a while ago on here there were posts talking about a portable device that clipped into the lock catch and provided a temporary handle to assist entrance and exit.
Maybe someone else can remember what they were called.

OP
OP
Andy MacD
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Yes, seen them thanks, I wanted something permanent.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have a friend who is wheelchair bound, plus my 91 year old mum to occasionally get into my van

The easiest way is to swivel the front passenger seat, let them enter by the sliding (hab) door (I have a step available) once they sit down, a quick swivel and off we go - reverse the procedure for getting out

Not sure if this is any help...???

OP
OP
Andy MacD
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks, don’t take this the wrong way but if suggested that I’d be thrown out the back doors!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If its a problem getting and out the cab doors why not just use the habitation door.
Only ever use the drivers door on my van at fuel stops the rest of the time only use the hab door.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
That looks lethal if you were thrown onto it in an accident.
It's not as bad as it looks ..
The mot station said it was fine..but the way it looks on the photo I'd agree:ROFLMAO:
The van has a passenger side air bag as well..not that the handle projected into the cab or interfered with said air bag anyway
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If its a problem getting and out the cab doors why not just use the habitation door.
Only ever use the drivers door on my van at fuel stops the rest of the time only use the hab door.
What he is proposing is or was common enough in vehicles deemed to need such a fitting.. as I said I've seen mini buses with a grab handle fitted
Andy

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Management is a good case for grab handles. She is all of 5ft so getting in the Rienza takes a bit of planning. I did think the mk6 Transit based min buses had grab handles. I will look into it.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I made and fitted a set of side steps which has made it a lot easier to get in and out of the cab, even for some that are sightly more vertical challenged.

View attachment 456747
I've only just realised that these aren't standard fit on all Ducato bases:

Screenshot_20210115-230629.png

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
My beloved is also vertically challenged, I found a dog lead type handle that attaches to the grab handle immediately above the passenger door door frame, works a treat...... when she remembers to attach it to the grab handle before she disembarks!!

Cheers!

Russ

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Great but he asking about the B pillar.
Have you read all the replies..?
I acknowledge that fact after The big one also pointed out it was the B post the op had asked about..
All the grab handles I've seen on commercial vans (transits anyway )have been fitted to the front or A post.. not the B... its a more natural point to look for some support when getting into a van cab ......on the drivers side its common to reach for the steering wheel for a bit assistance ..nor the rear of the seat.. ..(y)

It would appear not many people have gone down the road of trying to fit a grab handle..judging by most of the replies:unsure:..I can understand that having done it..its far from a straight fwd job as the op acknowledged in one of his early posts..
The difficult bit is the bit you dont see ..ie the fixing to the post...so that firstly it's secure enough to take a fair load without damaging post and wiring loom ..and secondly you can refit the trim to make it look OK..
I always did intend to tidy up the handle I fitted.. once I knew I had got those bits right because as lenny has said with its rectangular profile it looks a bit dangerous.. but it was quicker to construct and try it out that way..and I never got round to finishing it properly..:(
Andy.

OP
OP
Andy MacD
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Yeh, got A and B pillar mixed. Also I should have explained this is due to a vertically challanged other half rather than age, disability or other health issue.

Not keen on the permanent additional steps which add width, too easy to catch on something and drilling into the external metalwork is an invitation to the rust bug in the future no matter what treatments you use.

Think I’ll give this idea a miss, too much room for issues on what will be a new van.

Thanks all for your contributions.

Stay safe till the jab allows us all to get back on the road again! :giggle:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Quite a while ago on here there were posts talking about a portable device that clipped into the lock catch and provided a temporary handle to assist entrance and exit.
Maybe someone else can remember what they were called.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back