Have you ever put Unleaded into Diesel Vehicle? (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
We USED to put a small percentage of Petrol in Diesels "back in the day" in Winter, helped to prevent "icing". Now we have "winter diesel"!! Ah! Progress Eh? Once started to put unleaded in the R-V, 6.4 GMC, in France (about 10e worth) before I noticed. Just topped it up (with diesel) and ran it!. didn't seen to make any difference.

Locking fuel cap? SWMBO`s new (15reg) Ford has no cap at all the cover closes it off and there is what looks like a non return valve slightly down the nozzle. but as far as I can tell Nothing Locks?

Pete

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have done it! Picked up our brand new van went to the nearest filling station and couldn't get the cap off, eventually did then, in my haste, reached for the black nozzle thinking diesel , paid drove a short distance van started to misfire. Luckily only a short distance from the agent went back complaining, this van is misfiring, after checking it the mechanic eventually took of the filler cap and sniffed and said you have put petrol in this van sir......didn't I feel a pr*t. Long story short they drained it and put in a couple of galls of diesel and didn't even charge me, thanks' again Highbridge. Went back to the filling station to fill up again and noticed the black nozzle I used before was in fact a very dirty green. I tend to check nozzle colours very carefully now.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Incorrect fuel cap. To pass an MOT test the fuel system must be complete with a locking fuel filler cap. If the cap can't be locked then the vehicle will fail the MOT test.

http://www.mot-test.net/mock-test/fuel-system/

Only just seen this thread. A locking petrol cap is not required to pass an MOT, only the seal is checked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Quoted verbatim from the MoT website, but since when? My car's factory-fit cap isn't lockable and it passed its MoT in May.

Try locking your car then try to open the fuel filler. A lot of cars including Vauxhalls & some Fords have an auto lock fuel filler flap.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Try locking your car then try to open the fuel filler. A lot of cars including Vauxhalls & some Fords have an auto lock fuel filler flap.

The Focus doesn`t do this and nor is there a locking cap under the flap as Glen2926 says but as barista says not a requirement

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I knew that a locking cap wasn't an MOT requirement, but I must say that I'me very surprised that your Focus fuel flap doesn't lock. If I were you I'd look into that. Our Mondeo certainly locks when the central locking is activated but there's no sign of how that works when you open the flap.

We live & learn lol..

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
i didnt write it just cut & paste from website.

Common faults

• Fuel leaks. Any fuel leak will result in an MOT test failure. Not only does a fuel leak present a fire risk, but it can also cause a hazard for other road users if fuel is spilled onto the road surface.
  • Incorrect fuel cap. To pass an MOT test the fuel system must be complete with a locking fuel filler cap. If the cap can't be locked then the vehicle will fail the MOT test.
  • Fuel tank condition. If the fuel tank is in a bad condition this can often result in an MOT failure. For example advanced corrosion or serious road damage may cause the tank to be unsafe.
  • Fuel pipe condition. Corroded or damaged fuel pipes can be the cause of a failed MOT test. Advanced corrosion can lead to fuel leaks.
the site is dated 2008.
i have several cars that go for mot and have yet never been asked to lock/unlock the filler cap, some are not lockable. Maybe its one of those GREY areas where an MOT tester uses their discresion?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Incorrect fuel cap. To pass an MOT test the fuel system must be complete with a locking fuel filler cap. If the cap can't be locked then the vehicle will fail the MOT test.

Someone Better tell Ford then?.

Pete

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
If you have, you know how much it costs to rectify :ROFLMAO:

I was sent this link for preventing this, but do not know if any good?

Link Removed

Any thoughts much appreciated....

S
I put 10 litres of unleaded in my diesel motor home , the tank was then half full....... Total panic but after a little thought I put in a half litre of two stroke oil as it contains a little silicon and my thinking was it would take the "dryness" off the petrol. I then filled up the tank with diesel and fingers crossed started the engine......... Left it running for 20 minutes and it kept going. Used the whole tank , 300 miles and then filled up with "real" diesel.........lucky me.

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries