Have you ever put Unleaded into Diesel Vehicle? (1 Viewer)

NIGELB

Free Member
Jul 8, 2010
CO DURHAM
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT
Exp
i do the same .

I put 2 gallon in an 80litr tank about twice a year. it helps clean up emissions and as a cleaning effect on the injectors. its cheaper tha some of the diesel cleaners on the market.
Not ideal for running on neat. If you do accidently fill up with petrol .push to one side drain tank and slap your wrists .Best not drive on it. Could be costly.
I would keep what you drained out and use it slowly over the next few months abit at a time.
a bit of petrol doesnt hurt i do the same i my landrover,my wife and daughter have bothe put petrol in derv cars then phoned me panicking luckily they only put a couple gal in or£20 i just told them to fill the tank up both cars have been ok thats is last year cars are ok one was a vw and other was merc e270 but i would not advise a customer to do that.i work in a garage and lots of people do it.nigelb:Doh:

Hendrixfan

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Hastings, England
Funster No
MH
Ambulance conversion
Exp
Wrong fuel

We did the opposite - put diesel in instead of petrol. Of course with the newer vehicles you can't get the diesel nozzle into one meant for unleaded, but not the case in 1985! Now I have written "PETROL/ESSENCE" next to the filler cap with a felt pen (cheaper than a special cap)!

wnderer

Free Member
Aug 3, 2010
Aberdeen, Scotland
Funster No
Exp
this was a old time truckers trick, they used to add petrol to diesel to help prevent diesel from waxing/freezing in cold weather, in days of old before all the addtives that are added to modern diesel.... ie when diesel was diesel :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
this was a old time truckers trick, they used to add petrol to diesel to help prevent diesel from waxing/freezing in cold weather, in days of old before all the addtives that are added to modern diesel.... ie when diesel was diesel :Smile:

Actually, 'winter' diesel has always been supplied, even before the introduction of winter additives.

Wax is in all diesel, it increases the cetane value, but it's reduced for winter supplies.. however it cannot be completely removed hence the introduction of ant-waxing agents for winter use.

The biggest change in modern road diesel (DERV) is the removal of sulpher to meet emission targets .. ULSD (Ultra low sulpher diesel ) .. contains less the 15 ppm sulpher .. a far cry from the days when it had 500 ppm

When we were in Morocco the RV (Cummins engine ) got better economy but made a lot more black soot .. the engine certainly felt a lot more lively.. I suspect that they are still supplying 'normal' unadulterated DERV .. the 'good stuff'

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Yep did it too

Yep, have done it...shortly after we bought the MH so was not used to diesel...had been wild camping as went to wedding reception so in the morn was still a bit tired (excuses :Smile:) so put £10 of unleaded before I realised!! :Angry: Tank took £60 and was half full. I then put £20 of diesel in straight away and off we went - I have to say, we had no probs with his engine and never have and he passed his emmissions (not sure of spelling) tests, above average twice since too :thumb: So I am guessing we were just lucky then :Smile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Price cut

If you have, you know how much it costs to rectify :ROFLMAO:

I was sent this link for preventing this, but do not know if any good?

Link Removed

Any thoughts much appreciated....

S
Have just checked this link again and they have cut the price to a more reasonable £35 delivered ::bigsmile: so have ordered one as I don't want to repeat the expensive task of draining the tank again and wasting all that fuel:Doh:

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
My diesel Jag XF has a device that stops a petrol nozzle from operating, it allows a bit in then the pump cut off operates. You then have to do something with a plastic gadget in the boot. It's OE - all manufacturers should fit it

Terry and Nicola

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
Thornton
Funster No
MH
Exp
hi

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
sorry all most fell of my seat did that today in my works van cost me 163 pound today and cost of fuel :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Cost me £120 and a tank full of petrol:Doh:

My Volvo would be fine but my Citroen would suffer blow back on the pump only going in so far.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
If you have, you know how much it costs to rectify :ROFLMAO:

I was sent this link for preventing this, but do not know if any good?

Link Removed

Any thoughts much appreciated....

S

At a garage in central France many years ago a pump attendant put unleaded into my diesel MH. He then drained down the mixture into his underground diesel tank and refilled my van with diesel. I wonder how often that has been done!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mpd

YIPPEE> I'm glad I'm not the only P*** to put petrol into a diesel veh. Cost £80 for petrol £135 to empty and flush etc and another £80 for diesel & all before we started the holiday!!
Can't afford an MPD but wife makes sure I only select the Black gun (Or is it the Green) for the van!:Eeek:
The only time I did it (Nova TD early '90s) was because the PETROL nozzle was black (and I was tired, not paying attention, bored, other good excuses.)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I had a brand ne Toyota caleca two days old petrol field it with diesel cost £400 at that time didn't blink eye at the cost today I would be crying

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
HI
put full tank in passat drove about half mile ,drained tank and filters refilled, run ok
paul

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Yup, did it last week. £50 of petrol into the Caddy :(

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
About 3 years ago I filled the nearly empty tank with unleaded. Drove about 5 or 6 miles, then, going onto a roundabout the MH 'coughed' - most out of character. For some reason this made me reach for the receipt ........ aaargh! By then I was on a dual carriageway with nowhere to stop for miles. After about 15 miles I pulled into a fuel station, parked round the back and phoned Adac. No problem, they said, we will contact our 'partners' the AA. An AA patrol phoned me a while later & informed me he'd be with me in 20 mins. I asked him if he knew exactly where I was. No, he said. When I told him my location he said 'no way, I'm 55 miles from you' !! (So why say 20 mins?) I asked if he'd been told it was a MH. Oh no, he replied, can't attend - only have a van ... and it's an 'own-fault' breakdown so we won't be attending. A few minutes later Adac phoned to see if assistance had arrived. I got a rundown about how they were always experiencing negativity & lack of cooperation from AA, and proceeded to contact an independant garage. Anyway, to cut a long story short eventually a breakdown truck arrived, at about 1am, and informed me he couldn't possibly lift-tow me with his truck - he left me there saying he would tow me in the morning on his way in. (Meanwhile Adac contacted me several times even offering a hotel for the night!) Amazing, he turns up in the morning with the SAME truck, and tows me off about 10 miles to the garage. Pump-out cost the usual £250 ..... Once I'd refilled with diesel I immediately noticed an amazing difference in performance - which has continued till this day, along with much better consumption.

Now for the best bit - I was checking the insurance docs after renewing it last week and noticed that it actually covers for wrong-fuelling up to £250. :sick:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
some RAC patrols actually carry pump out gear now. so its far quicker to get drivers back on the road

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I put some unleaded into our diesel Berlingo a few years ago. Luckily it was only a small amount - for some reason I only put a tenner's worth in rather than filling up as I usually do. After taking advice I filled up the rest with diesel and the car was fine.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
May have already been said but dont you have to have a lockable cap for mot?

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
I put 4 l of unleaded into tank last week- was flustered by my attempt to save time paying at the pump; didn't know what to do but knew it was a Big Mistake- luckily tank was empty so I paid - filled up with diesel; paid again at kiosk. Driven over 200 miles since no problems thankfully

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
May have already been said but dont you have to have a lockable cap for mot?
No, it doesn't need to be lockable, but must seal securely to prevent spillages. I knew that as my camper doesn't have a locking fuel cap, but for your peace of mind confirmation here

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I put some unleaded into our diesel Berlingo a few years ago. Luckily it was only a small amount - for some reason I only put a tenner's worth in rather than filling up as I usually do. After taking advice I filled up the rest with diesel and the car was fine.

Mrs MSB did the same with our Berlingo and got the same advice, no problem. As a precaution I added a can of fuel system cleaner at the next fill up.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Incorrect fuel cap. To pass an MOT test the fuel system must be complete with a locking fuel filler cap. If the cap can't be locked then the vehicle will fail the MOT test.

Quoted verbatim from the MoT website, but since when? My car's factory-fit cap isn't lockable and it passed its MoT in May.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
The same with me but was hoping one of our MOT testers would comment.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Bought a brand new Autosleeper on retirement, drove round to the local Tesco and started to fill up. Got four gallons in when I realised it was Unleaded.

Fortunately rang my place of (previous) employment and the transport manager said "fill it up with Deisel and drive straight over" a distance of about seven miles.

There they drained the tank and flushed the system for me. All it cost was the price of the tank full and the embarrassment of being called a Pratt by the mechanics, who had a good laugh at my expense.

Still, that was 13 years ago and a lesson well learned.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Incorrect fuel cap. To pass an MOT test the fuel system must be complete with a locking fuel filler cap. If the cap can't be locked then the vehicle will fail the MOT test.

http://www.mot-test.net/mock-test/fuel-system/
My camper passed in late April with a non locking fuel cap, hence my seemingly duff info. I too would be interested to hear from one of our resident MOT testers about this. Perhaps anyone reading this who remembers their names would be kind enough to tag them in? Thank you :)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I filled up (to the top) with petrol in my 2.8 Peugeot/ Fiat in Spain. After about a mile it began coughing and running badly. Could not think why. Tom Tom found me the nearest garage (about 3 miles away) who were closed for the summer. Drove a couple more miles to a Motorhome repair shop who did not touch engines. They sent me to a garage about 10 miles away who identified my mistake, drained the tank and put 10 litres of diesel in. They gave up their lunch period to do this and charged me €50. On return to the UK I got my local service people to test the engine which had suffered no problems at all. Shortly afterwards I did the same to my new car in the UK. Again no damage except £300 service, £125 towing fee and the warranty for that part of the car became invalid.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
My ex wife had a habit of doing this and usually with my car, if you notice it straight away it's more of an embarrassing mistake than a costly one ,the problem with modern vehicles and their engines is the sensors get damaged by the incorrect fuel ,ex wife did it to my pajero ,it had a 2.8 engine ,I just towed it to my garage drained it ,filled it with diesel and after it smoked a bit but it ran fine , I used the petrol, up in my old mower , I did it in my bike once , after I realised I paid for the diesel ,rolled the bike over to the side and drained it ,filled it up and no problems

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
problem is they dont put drain plugs on fuel tanks these days. Something to do with storm drains being used to dispose of fuel.:)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
:doh:I tried my hardest the other week!
On the petrol station forcourt.
I just couldn't understand why the pump wouldn't go into my petrol thing on my car. I spent what seemed like ages pushing wiggling taking it out, looking at the pump , then the petrol tank....... I very nearly asked someone . ( then I would have felt stupid !) :blush:
Now although my cars new , I've had it nearly a year now and filled it up several times.
The cars petrol tank wouldn't accept the petrol pump because I was trying to put unleaded in, and it's diesel.
How clever. It's one of those petrol tanks where you just open the flap and put the hose in. You don't have to take off a lid. Phew. Saved......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back