Have you ever been weighed (1 Viewer)

R

RogerD

Deleted User
I am not sure whether we are over weight when we are fully loaded and I must get to my local weigh bridge. Is there any leeway at all? Must be be exactly under, I mean would you get prosecuted for being 40lbs over?

What are the chances of being weighed, do they look out for motorhomers to be pulled in and weighed. Have any of you been pulled in by police and weighed?

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
I am not sure whether we are over weight when we are fully loaded and I must get to my local weigh bridge. Is there any leeway at all? Must be be exactly under, I mean would you get prosecuted for being 40lbs over?

What are the chances of being weighed, do they look out for motorhomers to be pulled in and weighed. Have any of you been pulled in by police and weighed?

The chances are that if you were only just over you could empty the water tank and just get a warning, :winky:but a jobs worth could prosecute!:Blush:

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
And yes I have been put on a weigh bridge many times, including France and Spain.
But that was with a truck!:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

U

ukrv

Deleted User
You could visit your local landfill if there's no weighbridge around.

Turn up in the morning (before all the refuse wagons arrive from 11am) and claim you took a wrong turning into the site.

Apologise to the member of staff and - in conversation - ask whether their computer has picked up the weight of your motorhome.

As long as only us on motorhomefun know about this, it shouldnt turn into a motorhome Rally :winky:

Paul

PS Im taking the RV down when we move in November.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

For what it's worth I live close to a weigh station on the A74 near to Carlisle & I have never seen motorhomes in there. It seems to be open very little & will be closed for a considerable time while the upgrade to the M6 M74 link takes place. :thumb:

There is another on the M74 at Elvanfoot up in the hills, & I have never seen that one open. Maybe it's too cold for the VOSA jobs worths
:ROFLMAO:

I recall this being asked on other forums & nobody came up with conclusive proof they stop motorhomes.....I suppose that's it now I'll be the first:Sad:

Keith

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
For what it's worth I live close to a weigh station on the A74 near to Carlisle & I have never seen motorhomes in there. It seems to be open very little & will be closed for a considerable time while the upgrade to the M6 M74 link takes place. :thumb:

There is another on the M74 at Elvanfoot up in the hills, & I have never seen that one open. Maybe it's too cold for the VOSA jobs worths
:ROFLMAO:

I recall this being asked on other forums & nobody came up with conclusive proof they stop motorhomes.....I suppose that's it now I'll be the first:Sad:

Keith

I thought that last year or the year before that they weighed a lot of vans on the approach to the York show.:Tongue1:
Maybe someone could confirm if this is correct:thumb:

B

Baldrick

Deleted User
I worked for VOSA for 13 years and I can tell you that ANY vehicle is fair game (especially 7500kg horse boxes!). We even set up special checks in the summer for caravans and motorhomes.

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi It cost around a £5 to check the weight at a public weigh bridge!! well thats what it cost mt 6 wheel tanker recently because our firm wanted to know the differance between summer red diesel and winter i think a motorhome would cost around the same!

ray

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
hi It cost around a £5 to check the weight at a public weigh bridge!! well thats what it cost mt 6 wheel tanker recently because our firm wanted to know the differance between summer red diesel and winter i think a motorhome would cost around the same!

ray

I put my m/h on to check the tare weight (empty) and I reweighed it with everything in ready for the main holiday.
It was just inside its max weight with full water & fuel tanks:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I put my m/h on to check the tare weight (empty) and I reweighed it with everything in ready for the main holiday.
It was just inside its max weight with full water & fuel tanks:thumb:

That is a result, being under when you are carrying everything is the way to go I am sure you are in the minority.

I was reading a little wjile ago about a guy with a Rapido (I think) who was on his way to have a satellite dish fitted but passed a weighbridge on the way and went in. It was a brand new van. He had some factory fitted extras, I cant remember exactly what they were, but nothing out of the ordinary, tow bar and 4m awning etc. At the weighbridge he was shocked to find he was a few ponds OVER even though his van had nothing in it, no water not a stitch of clothing, it was overweight when empty. :whatthe:

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Hi Jim, that was certainly bad news for the Rapido driver.
I am a belt and braces sort of person and I carry everything for every eventuality.
I was suprised that it was under, but I do have to be carefull not to keep adding things.:RollEyes:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi i did notice that the salesman gloss ed over the facts off the weight off my 1st van when i asked him !!? before i added the fiamma awning a 3 bike rack :RollEyes: etc

they just want to sell the units

ray

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I thought that last year or the year before that they weighed a lot of vans on the approach to the York show.:Tongue1:
Maybe someone could confirm if this is correct:thumb:

They did pull a lot of motorhomes last year on the approaches to the York show.

I don't know how many they caught over weight.

We are very lucky to live near the free "Dynamic Axle Weigher" on the Humber Bridge. We pass the bridge quite often and we can weigh the van before each long trip.

I have been weighed by the men from the ministry with no problems at all. In fact some of them are more interested in the van than weighing the vehicle.

I was once told "I was the first person who had voluntarily come onto the scale to be weighed All the truckers thought I was a "Sandwich short of a Picnic"

There is a plus or minus allowance when weighing, I think I remember 50kg being mentioned, I wonder if it's across the board or the there is an allowance at different weights.

Regards

Don

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
They did pull a lot of motorhomes last year on the approaches to the York show.

I don't know how many they caught over weight.

We are very lucky to live near the free "Dynamic Axle Weigher" on the Humber Bridge. We pass the bridge quite often and we can weigh the van before each long trip.

I have been weighed by the men from the ministry with no problems at all. In fact some of them are more interested in the van than weighing the vehicle.

I was once told "I was the first person who had voluntarily come onto the scale to be weighed All the truckers thought I was a "Sandwich short of a Picnic"

There is a plus or minus allowance when weighing, I think I remember 50kg being mentioned, I wonder if it's across the board or the there is an allowance at different weights.

Regards

Don

Also the weigh bridges are only accurate to 20kg

B

Baldrick

Deleted User
The weighbridge tolerances are:

5% on a dynamic axle weigher
0% on a plate bridge

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
The weighbridge tolerances are:

5% on a dynamic axle weigher
0% on a plate bridge

When I go to weigh artic trailers on public weighbridges which is part of my job, the readings go up in 20kgs jumps.
Meaning that e for example if a trailer weigh's say 6175 kg, it will probably register 6180kg and likewise 6165kg would probably register 6160kg.
VOSA and the likes also use public weighbridges.::winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had our van weighed earlier this year with a typical load and found that we were well under our maximum weight - possibly something to do with the fact that there are only two of us using a 4 berth van?

Anyone living near Teesside may be interested to know that we used the weighbridge at Woodhouse's on Depot Road in Middlesbrough (phone number is in the directory). It would have been about £12 if we had wanted an official certificate but was only about £5 or £6 for the weights (full plus both axles) on a piece of blank paper.

Graham

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
We had our van weighed earlier this year with a typical load and found that we were well under our maximum weight - possibly something to do with the fact that there are only two of us using a 4 berth van?

Anyone living near Teesside may be interested to know that we used the weighbridge at Woodhouse's on Depot Road in Middlesbrough (phone number is in the directory). It would have been about £12 if we had wanted an official certificate but was only about £5 or £6 for the weights (full plus both axles) on a piece of blank paper.

Graham

Yes Graham, good point.
It is always wise to get axle weights.
And you don't need an official cert as it is only relevant at that time so well done mate!

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Sandy and I get weighed at least once a week while we are in SPAIN. But we have never had our Motorhomes/RV's weighed. :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As part of my recent MoT test weighing of the Rv was carried out prior to the brake check with 1/2 fuel full water clothes and some food ,me inside it came in at 6130 kg, that leaves me a wapping payload of nearly 1.4 tons still to go if my sums are right
Geo

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Doh: I must apologise? Every time we take our RV's to VOSA they weigh them. But I have never had it purposely weighed and don't really take any notice of what they weigh. :RollEyes:

:Cool: Must get a BIGGER RV or perhaps a BIG trailer? :Blush:

Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
Weight of motorhome

Hi in march i was getting ready for three months trip to Spain,Portugal and France we Have a bessacarr 795 maxi chassis I tried it on the weighbridge with tanks half full, scooter on rack on the back this put the rear axle up to its max and the front axle left about 150 K left so to keep it legal all of Jans Clothes including shoes (wife and navigater) which had not been loaded would have to go on our laps! . so we took our Box trailer which worked better and ment we could take all of the toys (Scooter.Tinker sailing dingy and push bikes) and it only cost £30 extra for the ferry.
I can recomend a trailer if like us you end up taking everything including the kitchen sink. 4800 miles later heard of the odd motorhome tested but we hardly saw a policemen.
Cheers Lawrence
PS used public weighbride in Guildford Surrey cost approx £12::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back