Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We started wild camping ten years ago. In the early years we used to spend many hours finding well hidden spots where we could not possibly bother anyone.

As the years passed we would find ourselves fed up of searching and settle for places that might easily result in some resident wanting us to move on. It never happened.

Now, we take a very relaxed approach. Of course we like to find nice places where we can barbecue but if that looks like a tall order we pretty much park anywhere.

Even when we are in a residential area with the satellite dish up nobody seems to bother. Are we just lucky or is wild camping a lot more simple than we might have suspected?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Got woken up at two in the morning once in Dublin by two policemen who were very nice but suggested if I wanted wheels on my van in the morning it might be best to move somewhere else!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Never been moved on as yet and we wild camp more often than using campsites. Being 2 women we tend to pick our spots quite carefully and not completely rural unless we have company. So far so good.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
In UK only once many moons in our first van, a Romahome, by the police just outside Kirriemuir. We were in a layby and were apparently near the home of some minister in the MOD. Our vehicle had been clocked coming off the boat from Larne at Stranraer so the old bill was naturally more than curious. As I was serving I showed my ID and they were happy but asked us to move to another layby on the main road about 2 miles away to which they led us.(y) No lights or music though which was a disappointment to Mrs BB. ;)
In Spain we have been moved on by the Guardia from the beach at Mojacar along with many other vans, they were almost apologetic. Looking back I can understand why the locals were anti; all the usual reasons which needn't be rehashed now.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
During the middle of the night while parked on the sea wall at Aldeburgh we were woken by yobs banging on the van walls and windows.. when I got up to see what was going on I saw them speed off in a car at high speed.. Inspecting the van in daylight I found several dings on a panel and one window was cracked.. so yes.. we moved on that morning..
The result of this rather frightening incident is my wife Jan won't do wild camping anymore..

Campervans have since been banned from parking on Aldeburgh sea wall ... see sign on Google map

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
There has been a van camped at a popular spot in our village for almost 2 weeks now. No one seems to mind the odd van there for the odd night, but as usual, one person is spoiling it for others by overstaying. The locals were all commenting and saying how cheeky they thought it was this morning, especially as they suspect they have been using the tap at the local sailing club. Water is not free, it is metered and has to be paid for, it is also private property. I suspect wilders here will soon find they are not welcome due to the p**s taker that is there at the moment.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Got moved on from a lay-by very late one night, kipping in my Ford Taunus Kampa. Had just travelled from a course with the RM at Plymouth, heading to Porton Down. Very tired, so stopped. Like Bertie, showed them my MOD 90, (ID Card), but it didn't wash with them. They even bagged me in case I had been drinking!!:mad:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
There has been a van camped at a popular spot in our village for almost 2 weeks now. No one seems to mind the odd van there for the odd night, but as usual, one person is spoiling it for others by overstaying. The locals were all commenting and saying how cheeky they thought it was this morning, especially as they suspect they have been using the tap at the local sailing club. Water is not free, it is metered and has to be paid for, it is also private property. I suspect wilders here will soon find they are not welcome due to the p**s taker that is there at the moment.

I have to agree, sadly. In my village at the village hall are toilets left open 24 hours and a good level free carpark across the road. In August one van stayed a week and the mess they left in both the toilets and the bin area has now started a debate at Parish Council level requesting the County council to ban overnighting. This is Powys where we have one of the most motorhome enlightened councils in the UK. Why do people have to kick the arse out of it! (n)
No one got the VRN of the vehicle at the time and I was away working but luckily there are a few voices moderating and I am trying to add to the good that they are doing.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Got moved on from a lay-by very late one night, kipping in my Ford Taunus Kampa. Had just travelled from a course with the RM at Plymouth, heading to Porton Down. Very tired, so stopped. Like Bertie, showed them my MOD 90, (ID Card), but it didn't wash with them. They even bagged me in case I had been drinking!!:mad:

Porton Down:eek: and you still have only one head! Amazing Toots!;)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
yes.... once in Italy.. but it really was absolutely my fault..
I had inadvertently parked on a factory access road..
Policeman was brilliant though.. asked us to follow him and he took us to lovely spot and tld us he would let the other lads know we were there with his blessing and to keep an eye open fir us (y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
never been moved on by the police but did have a problem with local yobs once apart from that no
but we normally chose our spots very carefully
bill
edit did once in the fog end up parked in s school play ground in our estate car we were traveling in Belgium woke up surrounded with kids staring in to the car.
bursting for a pee and no where to go :Eeek:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Us and 3 others about 5 years ago in Les Gets one summer.
The aire was flooded so we chose a dryer car park in the town centre!
The Gendarme were very polite and understanding but insisted we couldn't stop there!!!!
It was the following morning though, so we slept well!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
never been moved on by the police but did have a problem with local yobs once apart from that no
but we normally chose our spots very carefully
bill
edit did once in the fog end up parked in s school play ground in our estate car we were traveling in Belgium woke up surrounded with kids staring in to the car.
bursting for a pee and no where to go :Eeek:

It must be a Belgium thing!

We got lost late at night following our Satnav and ended up in a park the wrong side of the fence from the aire!!
Luckily a kebab van owner had a key for the gate and ushered us through!!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My neighbour parked in what he thought was a nice layby off the A9 one dark night..... only to be wakened in the early hours by the first train of the day giving him a whistling alarm call .... he'd parked right by the railway line (not on railway property but if you know that area you know how close the A9 and railway get in some places).

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I got moved on from the same car park but trade was bad for me at least
Roger
OI ... Cheeky ... so it was YOU taking all the trade was it?

images

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Never been moved on (as yet) but once parked on the town hall square of a village in France late at night.

Next morning, about 06:30, we were woken by a commotion outside. Looking out of the window we found a market setting up all around us. We rapidly moved out to smiles and waves from the smallholders.

I presume, if we hadn't woken up we would have been stuck there till mid-day.:unsure:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
As said earlier. Never been moved on but the ex b/f and I had just taken our 1st trip together in the MH at valentines weekend, got to bed at Troon harbour only to be alerted to thud thud thud at the rear of the MH. We think they were making out against it but I got up and drove away.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
As said earlier. Never been moved on but the ex b/f and I had just taken our 1st trip together in the MH at valentines weekend, got to bed at Troon harbour only to be alerted to thud thud thud at the rear of the MH. We think they were making out against it but I got up and drove away.
LOL LOL LOL.... Oh dear.... did you hear them say 'Did the earth move for you, too, dear?'

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
In my village at the village hall are toilets left open 24 hours and a good level free carpark across the road. In August one van stayed a week and the mess they left in both the toilets and the bin area has now started a debate at Parish Council level requesting the County council to ban overnighting. This is Powys where we have one of the most motorhome enlightened councils in the UK. Why do people have to kick the arse out of it! (n)

What a shame...I use Powys Council's overnight facility quite often (Hay this weekend so that I could visit the cinema) and it would be a pity to lose locations thanks to selfish, inconsiderate MHers.

I thought all of the facilities were signposted as being 1-night-in-7 ? I get the impression the council rarely enforces this...during the Brecon jazz festival there were several vans parked up all weekend on the main car parks (n)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
What a shame...I use Powys Council's overnight facility quite often (Hay this weekend so that I could visit the cinema) and it would be a pity to lose locations thanks to selfish, inconsiderate MHers.

I thought all of the facilities were signposted as being 1-night-in-7 ? I get the impression the council rarely enforces this...during the Brecon jazz festival there were several vans parked up all weekend on the main car parks (n)

True they don't even in the summer when they're busy, the car park where I live has no signs of any sort and is often used by vans of all shapes and sizes. All the required facilities are present less showers and they're free. I think this is the first occasion that there has been and adverse publicity. We have allies though at Parish and County level so I'm hoping it will go away but it's a blot on an otherwise clean sheet.............so far.

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Never been moved on (as yet) but once parked on the town hall square of a village in France late at night.

Next morning, about 06:30, we were woken by a commotion outside. Looking out of the window we found a market setting up all around us. We rapidly moved out to smiles and waves from the smallholders.

I presume, if we hadn't woken up we would have been stuck there till mid-day.:unsure:
That happened to my sister in France, only they ignored the increasing activity outside. When they finally "stirred" they were penned in for the day!:LOL:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Years ago I was moved on from the local park...

I still insist that it was really hot and that was the reason I was naked under my raincoat...

And the raincoat was dirty because I'd recently fallen over...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back