Have you been turned away ! Not nice (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
So that's their policy ... it's not unique. Can't see what a dbs cert has to do with booking a site tbh. All the time wasted could have been better spent going to one of the huge amount of sites that take solo campers.
It's already being established that its not discrimination.
I would never have considered going there anyway.
12 pages achieving nothing.
Keeps Facebook ticking over I spose.

At the end of the day you don't have to read it. The reason as I keep saying I wanted to bring this to attention...is not simply that I could go somewhere else ! I had got there !!!!! Driven there !!!! Arrived !!!!! Before being told...the other lady would have done the same. Sorry if the penny hasn't dropped yet...I will pop you one in the post (tongue in cheek) !!!!! Fortunately most of the FB posts are more sympathetic. I just hope you are never put in a similar situation !!!!

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
The sites policy may not be illegal but that doesn't make it right. Lots of things used to be legal before the law was changed, discrimination against women, blacks, Irish, gays etc. It is discrimination which ever way you look at it, not in the eyes of the law but still discrimination non the less. It may be legal but that's doesn't mean it should not be challenged, which is what this thread is about.
Well said Amy....sometimes we are expected to put up and shut up. Cos someone thinks we should. Usually those who aren't affected by silly rules.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I've read through all this and the only thing that's wrong is the fact you gave them any money by bending the rules.

I would of simply said $#"k right off I'll take my money elsewhere and go where I'm wanted and do one.
There have been rallies at that place they have had fun money.

I know it's grating on you I had a similar thing with the council and a swimming pool once but just tell everyone the place is crap and hit every review you can.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you Bellabee interesting,??
Would you say it may be a case for being liable to the person concerned, I ask as on the open forum for this site,a represtitive of SEARLES ,actually said that singles are deemed to be a threat! ! It is purely out of interest that I am asking,as you seem to know the law far better than me.

I think when you are in the position of the persons concerned, early days in the grieving process,it's enough to contend with. But I cannot answer for the lady concerned.!!

Thank you for your comments,at least it helps to clarify the law, in this case.

Sorry, Eve. I'm not a lawyer. I really wouldn't want to pass an opinion.

Oh gosh I ain't quite there yet ROFL !!!

@Briarose, No, I know you're just a whippersnapper, but I suggested Age Concern as being a campaigning group who work on behalf of people who might be adversely effected by the ban on singles. If you were looking for someone to champion your cause, they may be interested (or not).

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
At the end of the day you don't have to read it. The reason as I keep saying I wanted to bring this to attention...is not simply that I could go somewhere else ! I had got there !!!!! Driven there !!!! Arrived !!!!! Before being told...the other lady would have done the same. Sorry if the penny hasn't dropped yet...I will pop you one in the post (tongue in cheek) !!!!! Fortunately most of the FB posts are more sympathetic. I just hope you are never put in a similar situation !!!!
At the end of the day I can comment on what I like, read what I like... and I can have an opinion too.
If in a similar situation I would walk away. I am not popping a penny in the post (tongue in cheek).

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
At the end of the day I can comment on what I like, read what I like... and I can have an opinion too.
If in a similar situation I would walk away. I am not popping a penny in the post (tongue in cheek).
I agree...but it was you that stated it kept Facebook ticking over. Whatever happens we should have been informed before arrival....having driven to get there, and shouldn't have to walk or drive away, we shouldn't have walked or driven there in the first place. And this is what I wanted to warn people to check etc...and if I am honest I am very glad I did so, at least I saved the other lady a miserable Xmas...she now has time to sort something else out.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
After reading through most of the posts i too have to agree with the sites policy and sticking by the rules - However, does it not come down to most rules and red tape applied to sites and other rulings - this is the problem nowadays with most laws/rules = COMMON SENSE ! No one seems to have any ! what do they think a single lady will do ? Cmon Oh Please! Give the bloody lady a break and show some common courtesy and good old common sense !

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
After reading through most of the posts i too have to agree with the sites policy and sticking by the rules - However, does it not come down to most rules and red tape applied to sites and other rulings - this is the problem nowadays with most laws/rules = COMMON SENSE ! No one seems to have any ! what do they think a single lady will do ? Cmon Oh Please! Give the bloody lady a break and show some common courtesy and good old common sense !
Aw Thankyou....the annoying thing is, I would have gone back there alone ESP as it is within walking distance of town and Tesco etc and would for me be a nice little out of season break (indoor pool too) ....but I don't think they would welcome me back now anyway rofl.

Your post actually hits the nail on the head...common sense has indeed left this country I think.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Annette
Next winter come to Spain,heated swimming pool,food and drink that's Bonterra park,,
At the moment in Mediterraneo Camping Park at Calpe, reasonable priced,no ban on single people,!!!!:wine::party2:just surprise at a lady on her own, food for thought for next year??:Eeek::crying:
It only highlights the stupidity and nasty suspicious minds that many people have about single people. Like you until a year ago I was accepted as part of a couple,, well now I am a widow, .

Definition of a widow,........????:swear2::swear2::swear2:

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Annette
Next winter come to Spain,heated swimming pool,food and drink that's Bonterra park,,
At the moment in Mediterraneo Camping Park at Calpe, reasonable priced,no ban on single people,!!!!:wine::party2:just surprise at a lady on her own, food for thought for next year??:Eeek::crying:
It only highlights the stupidity and nasty suspicious minds that many people have about single people. Like you until a year ago I was accepted as part of a couple,, well now I am a widow, .

Definition of a widow,........????:swear2::swear2::swear2:
Definitely food for thought....will have to work harder this coming summer !

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
I was always taught that "rules are for fools and the guidance of wise men"
It's a pity that the site doesn't work to that sentiment.
I love that ... Not heard it before ! I have to say very wise words.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I think that the rule is unnecessary but if it is applied, I think that it should be applied to both solo men and solo women; the consequences of "little old ladies" being allowed in and "little old men" being denied is sexual discrimination.

I do wonder what they do if Grandma or Grandpa want to join their son or daughter and family who are camping there? I guess that they would be denied. It is almost worth people phoning up and asking to make bookings for two adults and two kids to camp for a week or two and then ask for a pitch for a solo parent to join them mid-week. What they would say? ... and then what they would say if you threatened to cancel if grandma can't camp because she is solo ;)

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
I think that the rule is unnecessary but if it is applied, I think that it should be applied to both solo men and solo women; the consequences of "little old ladies" being allowed in and "little old men" being denied is sexual discrimination.

I do wonder what they do if Grandma or Grandpa want to join their son or daughter and family who are camping there? I guess that they would be denied. It is almost worth people phoning up and asking to make bookings for two adults and two kids to camp for a week or two and then ask for a pitch for a solo parent to join them mid-week. What they would say? ... and then what they would say if you threatened to cancel if grandma can't camp because she is solo ;)

Lol.. Well I hope I am not quite a little old lady. Ha ha but ref your suggestion....I am willing to try it if you are lol. To be honest I am not so sure they are that desperate for business they would be that bothered... But like I say worth asking.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

When i phoned yesterday and said my daughters family would be in their caravan, me alone in my motorhome that was fine. But when I said I'd changed my mind and wanted a break on my own , I was refused a booking.
I think at some time in the past someone in charge has got a bee in his bonnet and gone into hysterical overdrive about lone holidaymakers. No information, no research, not sought advice from police or similar and just thought up a rule. In the past I've had people I had to work with do the same thing and insist I "must" implement their newest thought. I had to sit them down and point out their newest thought broke this law, that law, or contravened a point of my registration.

But of course any of us can phone to make a single's booking, then write a review on Trip Advisor.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
On this forum people appear to be interpreting the rule as against older singles whereas it's not, it is applied to young and old alike ... if it wasn't therefore an 'older lady' who wanted to stay but a 30 something young man I wonder if the outcry and comments would be the same?

Not condoning the 'rule' ... just wondering ...

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
On this forum people appear to be interpreting the rule as against older singles whereas it's not, it is applied to young and old alike ... if it wasn't therefore an 'older lady' who wanted to stay but a 30 something young man I wonder if the outcry and comments would be the same? Not condoning the 'rule' ... just wondering ...

Why would it matter if they were younger?

Have Motorhomers, of any age, got a reputation for criminal or rowdy/lewd/unsavoury behaviour?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Have Motorhomers, of any age, got a reputation for criminal or rowdy/lewd/unsavoury behaviour?

That's not the point I was making ... re-read my post please.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have never run into trouble, I frequently use the van when I go out on business, because I prefer it to staying in a hotel. Yes, I appreciate as a single male, I could potentially be seen as a problem. But all of the sites I have used have been welcoming. Seems a very odd rule to me!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

I have.... your point seems to say that there should be a distinction between old and young

My point is that single Motorhomers, of any age, are not a problem, unless you or Searles know otherwise

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have.... your point seems to say that there should be a distinction between old and young

My point is that single Motorhomers, of any age, are not a problem, unless you or Searles know otherwise

Being only 21 :pinocchio:, I feel that I should put this to the test. I wonder if they would let me in on my own if I wanted to join my parents for a few days and then stay for a few days after they go home ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
On this forum people appear to be interpreting the rule as against older singles whereas it's not, it is applied to young and old alike ... if it wasn't therefore an 'older lady' who wanted to stay but a 30 something young man I wonder if the outcry and comments would be the same?

Not condoning the 'rule' ... just wondering ...

Wrong! Please read it again!

My point was whether the comments would be the same, NOT that there SHOULD be a distinction ...

"if it wasn't therefore an 'older lady' who wanted to stay but a 30 something young man
I wonder if the outcry and comments would be the same?"

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
"if it wasn't therefore an 'older lady' who wanted to stay but a 30 something young man I wonder if the outcry and comments would be the same?"

If it was a 30 something Motorhomer why wouldn't the outcry and comments be the same?

Motorhomers are not a danger........... whatever the age

....and yes I would expect the same outcry.... if there are any 30 year-old Motorhomers

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If it was a 30 something Motorhomer why wouldn't the outcry and comments be the same?

Motorhomers are not a danger........... whatever the age

....and yes I would expect the same outcry.... if there are any 30 year-old Motorhomers
... but that's the point ... would it REALLY be the same ... somehow I doubt it ... not saying it's right, but I don't think people would get quite so hot and bothered ... and I didn't say it had to be a motorhomer either ...

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
... but that's the point ... would it REALLY be the same ... somehow I doubt it ... not saying it's right, but I don't think people would get quite so hot and bothered ... and I didn't say it had to be a motorhomer either ...

The point is that Searles (and other site owners) are saying that single Motorhomers (of any age) are a problem and the OP is a Motorhomer, that's why it's being discussed here..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The point is that Searles (and other site owners) are saying that single Motorhomers (of any age) are a problem and the OP is a Motorhomer, that's why it's being discussed here..
Well I never ... I'm not on a motorhome forum am I ... stewth .. I never knew that! o_O

Actually there are non-motorhome owners and caravan owners on this forum too ... and possibly some with tents so this 'rule' could as easily be applied to them ... :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Briarose @Brian_K

Normally I .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / - . .-.. .-.. / -.-- ---- ..- / - --- / -... .-.. --- .-- / .. - / --- ..- - / --- ..-. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .- .-.. ... . / Or to ..-. --- -..- - .-. --- - / --- ... -.-. .- .-. / But that .-- --- ..- .-.. -.. / -... . / .-. ..- -.. . / Would it not? ... --- / .. / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .--- ..- ... - / ... .- -.--

Have a nice day (y)

Or in English ...

"Normally I would tell you to blow it out of your a*se or to FO but that would be rude would it not? So I will just say ... Have a nice day"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back