Have you been turned away ! Not nice (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Still waiting for the names of these other sites that you've repeatedly mentioned, Buttons. Ok, so I'm no longer a solo motorhomer but I would boycott them anyway on principle! :boxing:
I'm not loading your gun for you maz, go find your own ammunition.:censored:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Ref the post and emails...maybe not. Who knows...what I do know is the world has gone crazy as Eve has already said. I do take on board your comments ref 'Adult only' sites....maybe Searles should advertise as 'Some Adults allowed' if accompanied by another Adult !
But make it clear. Not tucked away in T & C No 5!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
In what way?

...and it costs almost as much to camp as a couple or family............

On Searles the pitch price was the same....whether one or two people....which I didn't mind paying. I know some do discount for single occupancy.

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Watched the programme about Jimmy Savile last night

He traveled in his MH with a 'minder'........... a 'couple'.............

Very true....and he had he still been alive and travelling booked on with no problem. I rest my case.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
On Searles the pitch price was the same....whether one or two people....which I didn't mind paying. I know some do discount for single occupancy.
I know "Camping In The Forest" sites do not allow single sex groups, but they "encourage" Solo travellers and have Solo rates no matter what unit you are in. I have used them in the Folding Camper and Tens. No difference.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This rule is in place for a reason being people on their own can be a nuisance to other users. I'm sure you would be the first to complain if your next door motorhome was having parties until the early hours. Not in this case I'm sure but rules are rules for a reason.

And couples won't be ?? Doesn't make sense,,BUSBY.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
This rule is in place for a reason being people on their own can be a nuisance to other users. I'm sure you would be the first to complain if your next door motorhome was having parties until the early hours. Not in this case I'm sure but rules are rules for a reason.

Don't understand. I'm on my own, in my motorhome--- how do I have a party? As single people are admitted as visitors/ members of their leisure complex then they're not concerned that single means pervy!
Annette, you're incredibly brave. I know how tough it is to go on. I found a site called Merry Widow run by Kate Boydell very supportive. Don't be put off by the name.
I shall contact Searles today to register my objection to their policy.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
TBH I have some sympathy with the site, I would think that the main reason for this rule is to protect children from possible sexual preditors, So because of the PC brigade and not being able to check criminal records etc, they have to put a blanket ban in place, as they do have a duty of care.

Just my take on it (y)

Many paedofiles are married so not a valid reason.Look at Brady and Hindley,,,they would be allowed on..BUSBY.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Briarrose. Am so sorry you had this horrible experience.I find the whole thing just crazy. I hope they get the negative publicity they deserve . Main thing is dont let it put you off motorhoming on your own. Lots of lovely places out there to visit that will make you welcome. Wishing you lots of future happy trips in your motorhome.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Family members abusing family members is a totally different, would you be happy letting your kids out of your sight, on a site with a few dodgy looking single males?

I certainly would not (y)

What is Dodgy looking,,,,more kids die of road accidents and at the hand of family members and friends of the family,,(first place the police investigate) Paranoid,,BUSBY.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
What an utterly bizarre policy, I can understand the no single sex groups policy some places have, but no single people? Utterly bizarre, what is a single person going to do that anyone else won't?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just put this posting on the other thread:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/no-solo-s-allowed.119516/page-2

so thought I'd show it here too:

I've read this, and the other post and I can see both sides of the 'argument'.

The site can make its own rules so long as it has reasons to do it and it is not illegal or sex discriminatory - it seems plausible that the 'no solos' rule its due to the risk of paedophiles / sexual preditors (a threat against children and/or adults) staying on the site as I assume in the vast majority of cases these type of 'people' (and I use the word loosely!) act alone.

I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance that they will change the rule at all - they are between a rock and a hard place - how do they know that the cuddly old gentleman is not an 'offender' and, unfortunately, a lovely older lady for the same reason ... where do they draw the line - let in someone who's 57 but not 55? The only thing they can do if they want to keep the rule is to NOT make any exceptions - can you imagine how the reception staff would feel if they did and the person they'd let in then abused a child ... they have the rule in my view in order to give families with children some 'security' that the site is trying to make it difficult for offenders to stay there and hopefully have a safer environment for the family to relax and enjoy themselves on holiday - they are the vast majority of their clientel and so it makes financial sense - at the end of the day they are a business.

Now for the specific situation that happened - the site was TOTALLY AND UNEQUIVICALLY WRONG in that they did not make it clear at the time of the phone booking that this rule applied and could not be waived. To refer you to the T&Cs on the website is wrong as not everyone has access to it and it appears not to be 'obvious'. This situation could easily have never occurred had they asked, at the time of booking, how many people were staying in each unit booked - a simple enough thing to do and I would have thought required for fire/safety recording.

To Briarose - I am so sorry that this happened and can empathise with you over it, but do not let this incident affect you - mark it down as just a bit of 'education' as all it has done is make you aware that some sites have this policy so you won't find yourself in this situation again. It would have been even worse if this had happened when you were not with friends but on your own, at least they were there with you and able to tell a 'porky' so you could stay.

Put it down to experience - after what you've had to go through previously it is just a blip ... so they won't get your business anymore, that's their loss - there are lots of other places out there to stay so get out and enjoy them girl! (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Due to the high cost and extremely regimented atmosphere of Searles we stopped going there several years ago

There are far better places far cheaper who welcome the single traveler

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
What is Dodgy looking,,,,more kids die of road accidents and at the hand of family members and friends of the family,,(first place the police investigate) Paranoid,,BUSBY.

Oh well that is ok then, lets open up all (non adult only) campsites to all single males.

Paranoid, me? =no, it is called a duty of care.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Due to the high cost and extremely regimented atmosphere of Searles we stopped going there several years ago

There are far better places far cheaper who welcome the single traveler
All these big sites are the same with many rules, having said that I have had some great breaks with the kids when they were younger in such places. Not my choice now though.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just phoned, asked why I'm discriminated against as a widow. Poor flustered lady tried to say no, not because I'm a widow, because I'm on my own and she doesn't know why they have this policy. It's the owners choice.
If my daughters family book their caravan in, and I meet up with them there, that's fine, according to her.
If I book alone--- I'm not wanted.
This cannot be a safety issue if they allow single people to join their leisure complex.
It's bizarre. And it's discrimination.
I suggest we all drop Mr Paul Searle an email or letter.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
The site can make its own rules so long as it has reasons to do it and it is not illegal or sex discriminatory - it seems plausible that the 'no solos' rule its due to the risk of paedophiles / sexual preditors (a threat against children and/or adults) staying on the site as I assume in the vast majority of cases these type of 'people' (and I use the word loosely!) act alone.

Spot on (y)

I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance that they will change the rule at all

Neither would I if I was in the same position (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Oh well that is ok then, lets open up all (non adult only) campsites to all single males.

Paranoid, me? =no, it is called a duty of care.

You keep referring to duty of care. I disagree and it sounds like paranoia. Any camper who acts dangerously should be removed from the site but banning single people because you feel that they could be a risk is ridiculous. Would you expect everyone to submit their CRB / DBS report before being considered for a pitch?

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Just phoned, asked why I'm discriminated against as a widow. Poor flustered lady tried to say no, not because I'm a widow, because I'm on my own and she doesn't know why they have this policy. It's the owners choice.
If my daughters family book their caravan in, and I meet up with them there, that's fine, according to her.
If I book alone--- I'm not wanted.
This cannot be a safety issue if they allow single people to join their leisure complex.
It's bizarre. And it's discrimination.
I suggest we all drop Mr Paul Searle an email or letter.
Well done you and Thankyou x

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Can you put email contact details on here please I would love to drop him a line and enlighten him about the various paedophiles who I have known / heard of in my life! One lived a few doors down near me as a child, he had three little girls! I think my dad smacked him one, he moved! Another was a Grandad who abused his granddaughter, she has led a somewhat tortured life! We all know lovely single people who have given us no reason to believe that they are paedophiles this is horrendous descrimination.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back