Have you been turned away ! Not nice (1 Viewer)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think it is shocking that any campsite can ban single travellers simply because they do not have a partner and I fail to see how anyone cannot see that this policy is discrimination personified!
They don't ban people because they don't have a partner. They ban solo campers.
Most people sympathise. . including me.
But it's their policy and should I be on my own looking to stay somewhere for a night or two I'll not be trying there as I'm now aware of their policy. .. which I would never have read.

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Not sure why you've quoted my post and Sue's ... I thought we were now supposed to be 'talking' about the policy itself and the rights/wrongs of it, NOT an individual's own personal circumstances.

Nothing can make up for you feeling as you did Briarose and whilst I empathise with you the rule is in place and no amount of going over it again and again on this and the other thread is going to change that ... it will just keep making you feel bad.

As I indicated before if it keeps upsetting you please, please, please, don't keep winding yourself up about it all by constantling posting ... it simply is NOT worth it. You are a strong lady I'm sure so get yourself out there to sites that DO want you to stay and enjoy yourself.
You will see I edited....I must have quoted you by mistake. Sorry.

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Is it?

Can I in good conscience make a fuss about someone not being allowed to stay somewhere that I would recommend they avoided like the plague anyway?
Whatever happens and what we would and wouldn't recommend, to arrive somewhere ESP this time of year to be told you aren't welcome on site is so so wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
They don't ban people because they don't have a partner. They ban solo campers.
Most people sympathise. . including me.
But it's their policy and should I be on my own looking to stay somewhere for a night or two I'll not be trying there as I'm now aware of their policy. .. which I would never have read.
If I can make just one person aware of this (well actually I already have) I can sleep well at night ! Pity someone else didn't make me aware !

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We turned up last thing at a small site in the south of France one day to be told we were too long and were turned away.
Not happy... couldn't do anything about it so just moved on. (La ferme de riola I think it was called )

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a thought, I wonder if the local Trading Standards would be interested in this, not to get them to change the actual rule as they'd have no legal reason to be able to insist they did that, but for not advising people of it when bookings are made ... surely there must be something to do with misleadingly 'selling/hiring out' (ie pitches) without an important piece of information being provided that could be used to MAKE them have to tell everyone who make a booking, regardless of the method use to do so??? I'm thinking along the line of 'misleading omisions' ... this seems to explain it:

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingsta...usiness-goods/tsguide-consumer-protection.htm

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Well after reading this, I can honestly say that I won't be booking or wanting to stay at Searles.
Yes, they may have their rules but what a strange rule it is.
I can understand no kids or no pets but why discriminate against someone travelling on their own?
I've been fortunate to travel the world with my former employment and the majority of that time, I travelled alone.
although rewarding, it was hard work at times and I take my hat off to anyone who's travelling on their own, for whatever their reasons.
I think that companies or in this case, a campsite needs to appreciate business being placed their way rather than ostracise someone with such petty rules & regulations.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Why not just stay somewhere else?

Life's too short to worry about such things

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why not just stay somewhere else?

Life's too short to worry about such things
Stop it ... ;) That's already been explained many times previously so stop stirring it all up again! :D

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Is it?

Can I in good conscience make a fuss about someone not being allowed to stay somewhere that I would recommend they avoided like the plague anyway?

It is irrelevant what your personal opinion of this site is NickNic and whether you'd recommend it or not has little bearing on the no single persons rule!

Another friend has it in writing from Searles that their no single persons allowed on their complex policy was introduced in order to safeguard and protect their other guests!!! Take from that what you will but our interpretation of this bizarre rule leaves us reeling and we feel quite strongly that a full explanation from Searles is warranted!

You and others may feel quite happy to turn the other cheek, shrug your shoulders and quietly go elsewhere should you ever experience a similar encounter to Briarose's and I admire your nonchalant attitude, but remember not everyone takes such matters so lightly and do not take kindly to being ostracised!

So YES - to answer your question....... in our opinion it most definitely is a matter of principle!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Its starting to sound a little weird now ....
You seem to be burying your head in the sand and discounting anyone else's opinion as not serious or nonchalant. (I could find that insulting (but don't)) ...
Not to mention anyone daring to have rules that don't suit you.
Good luck with your mission .. Whatever it is.
Meanwhile I'll find a different campsite. Thanks for pointing this one out.

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Weird???????? You've completely lost me there! LOL Please expand upon that comment?

I certainly do not have any objections to anybody's rules but I do object to not having an explanation for ones that appear to discriminate and ostracise people.

As for you saying you could possibly find my comment re nonchalance insulting - that is a little bit of an overreaction to my remark if I may be so blunt! I was only responding to the poster/posters who have quite openly responded to polite posts on here re this incident, saying that they would not let something like this bother them and they'd just take it in their stride and go elsewhere etc! I admire their couldn't care less attitudes but sadly - not all of us are as laid back as they clearly are and like my friend, many of us do not find turning the other cheek always so easy to do. We are all different and I was stressing that point and I really cannot see anything in my post that is at all insulting to anyone.

We were travelling with my friend, so we know how upset she has been by all this and it has really knocked her confidence re travelling alone in her motorhome!

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
So I've watched and read all of this, and to the OP I have to say you are like endless people on trip advisor who complain about Ryanair, you didn't bother to read the t&c's and turned up with an overweight bag, get charged, then proceed to lambast the company for your failings, I'm also sad that you feel it's acceptable to launch into employees who are just doing their job, before you play the tradgey card, let me say I've been there in 2011, you'll get past it, just stop launching into businesses that don't fit your desires, calm down and enjoy what you can, I know it's bloody hard sometimes but kicking some crappy campsite isn't the way forward

I wish you all the best for the future, it really does get better

Last edited:
OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
So I've watched and read all of this, and to the OP I have to say you are like endless people on trip advisor who complain about Ryanair, you didn't bother to read the t&c's and turned up with an overweight bag, get charged, then proceed to lambast the company for your failings, I'm also sad that you feel it's acceptable to launch into employees who are just doing their job, before you play the tradgey card, let me say I've been there in 2011, you'll get past it, just stop launching into businesses that don't fit your desires, calm down and enjoy what you can, I know it's bloody hard sometimes but kicking some crappy campsite isn't the way forward

Thankyou....and like I have said before...I would have read the T&C if we hadn't booked the same day ! But even if I had I wouldn't have taken the allocated unit to mean a motorhome, just like (and yet again I repeat myself ) the lady who had booked for Xmas.

Just for the record I went to Italy for what would have been my wedding anniversary, at the end of October ! Flew with Ryanair and very good they were too......and as we booked the flights in August we had plenty of time to read their T&C and we were spot on with our baggage etc..and everything was very well explained.

I don't feel I am bitter or indeed playing any tragedy card....the initial intentions to simply make others aware before travelling. As for Searles I hope this makes them re write their T&C (to make the touring situation clearer) and also the Staff who are just doing their job....to maybe do it a little better, and simply ask or inform when anyone books late availibilty of this rule.....therefore saving anyone a wasted journey not to mention fuel.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I certainly do not have any objections to anybody's rules but I do object to not having an explanation for ones that appear to discriminate and ostracise people.

It's a private business and they aren't breaking any laws therefore they are under no obligation to provide any explanation to, or justify themselves to, anyone beyond what they've already said: It's their policy.

Personally I think it's a bit of an odd one and I would have thought it could be made clearer when booking but that's up to them.

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
It's a private business and they aren't breaking any laws therefore they are under no obligation to provide any explanation to, or justify themselves to, anyone beyond what they've already said: It's their policy.

Personally I think it's a bit of an odd one and I would have thought it could be made clearer when booking but that's up to them.
Just to add....apparently Laura Searles has replied to someone and is looking into it, she is going to get back to them. Maybe then it will all be made clearer..fingers crossed.

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004

May I politely suggest you take a leaf out of your own book re bothering to read everything and ask you to kindly read ALL the posts in this thread before you pass comment? You will discover if you look back, that there were NO terms and conditions to read in this partucular instance as the booking for the touring pitches was made and accepted over the telephone.

I find it very very sad that a ladies post about a real and recent experience she encountered and one from which she was left feeling quite vexed over, has caused some members to submit some rather personal attacks on her reaction and her response!

I prefer not to get involved in such threads as this one as I have seen before on similar forums how personal and offensive they can become when those who like a good argument launch into action - but because Briarose is my dearest friend, and because myself and my husband were involved with the actual incident too - I felt compelled to submit a post re this topic!

I don't want to rise to the bait of those who clearly want to become confrontational and therefore, on that note I will make this my last post on the subject!

Enjoy your Sunday everyone. xxx

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Thankyou....and like I have said before...I would have read the T&C if we hadn't booked the same day ! But even if I had I wouldn't have taken the allocated unit to mean a motorhome, just like (and yet again I repeat myself ) the lady who had booked for Xmas.

Just for the record I went to Italy for what would have been my wedding anniversary, at the end of October ! Flew with Ryanair and very good they were too......and as we booked the flights in August we had plenty of time to read their T&C and we were spot on with our baggage etc..and everything was very well explained.

I don't feel I am bitter or indeed playing any tragedy card....the initial intentions to simply make others aware before travelling. As for Searles I hope this makes them re write their T&C (to make the touring situation clearer) and also the Staff who are just doing their job....to maybe do it a little better, and simply ask or inform when anyone books late availibilty of this rule.....therefore saving anyone a wasted journey not to mention fuel.

So the t&c's don't apply to you if you book the same day? They really do and just like any other situation you should have read them, you are playing the tradgey card, read the first line of your first post, I say this because I've been there and I think it's time you left this alone and moved on, best wishes

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
So the t&c's don't apply to you if you book the same day? They really do and just like any other situation you should have read them, you are playing the tradgey card, read the first line of your first post, I say this because I've been there and I think it's time you left this alone and moved on, best wishes
So how would I have read them....we were previously on a site with little or no internet access three hours before ? My Friend rang up asked for two pitches and was told no problem. Searles is suggested in the area by the C&CC.

Maybe in future then I need to ask any site I phone to read out the whole set of T&C first....but like I have already stated, even if I had...I certainly would not have taken 'single occupancy of allocated accommodation' to mean my motorhome. Would you ?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I am well aware of Briarose's experience, and have been following this thread as well as others on the subject, and I have to say that if I didn't know any better, I would swear that I was reading a thread on FACTS. :eek:

If some of the posters on here, were sat at a table with Briarose over a cup of coffee, they would not voice their thoughts or opinions in person, in the same manner that they have chosen to do so on here. A... because they would be able to gauge for themselves on the spot, the unpleasant feelings felt as a result of the treatment she has been subjected to, and B... because they would soon be aware by just being in her presence, just what a very nice lady Briarose really is.

Please give some thought and consideration to to the OP , and to what you type, before actually posting. :)
If it were me who was subjected to Searles refusal to permit entry as a solo camper, (n) it would very much be about a "point of principle" for me too. :mad:

Regards,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
I think you are totally out of order Mark, even if it is just your opinion.

Regards,

Jock. :(
Thankyou Jock....I have indeed re read my OP and was simply explaining the situation. Many on here ( or from Facts) would have known Phil and I in the past as a couple .....perhaps many wouldn't even have known he had passed away.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
So how would I have read them....we were previously on a site with little or no internet access three hours before ? My Friend rang up asked for two pitches and was told no problem. Searles is suggested in the area by the C&CC.

Maybe in future then I need to ask any site I phone to read out the whole set of T&C first....but like I have already stated, even if I had...I certainly would not have taken 'single occupancy of allocated accommodation' to mean my motorhome. Would you ?

Actually yes I would, since you got to stay there anyway and weren't in fact refused, what are you making such a fuss about? Just don't go back

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I think you are totally out of order Mark, even if it is just your opinion.

Regards,

Jock. :(

No because it happened to me too, and it's normal at first, if you haven't been there, then you don't know

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back