Have three weeks to spend on the Nc 500 (1 Viewer)

Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Hello have three weeks to spend on the Nc 500 has any body done an itinery so me and the wife can see as much as possible will be bringing the dog as well, any help would be much appreciated thank you in advance

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Take plenty of anti midge cream and sprays. Oh, if you can, some anti Sturgeon spray..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I posted this in (never done an internal link before: hope this works).

We "rushed" round last September o_O, covering 1917 miles in 14 nights (from Norfolk)

1: CL (Smith House Farm, Stockton) to see my Dad (204 miles)
2: BS 822 north of Perth [too far really, travelling via A68] (221 miles)
3: BS 849 north of Inverness (113 miles)
4: CMC Dunnet Bay [via John O'Groats] (163 m)
5: CL (94 Laid) overlooking Loch Eriboll (73m)
6: Aire at Kinlochbervie (28m)
7: Broomfields Campsite, Ullapool [via Drumbeig - narrow roads!] (93m)
8: Wild Camp by Loch Maree (80m)
9: CMC Morvich (82m)
10: CMC Bunree (76m)
11: CMC Maragowan (63m)
12: Falkirk Wheel [long sight-seeing diversion via Aberfeldy and Queen Elizabeth Forest Park] (129m)
13: BS 787 near Bamburgh (our favourite) [via B6355] (121m)
14: CL (Smith House Farm, Stockton) to see my Dad (101 miles)
15: Home (204m)

[The total is greater than the sum of the daily trips because I have not included some excursions.]

Cost for camping: £154.20 :)

o0O0Oo

There is an interactive map and you can also pick up a paper map from TICs.

Enjoy - Gordon

PS Only you know what you like, so it is hard to "recommend" things. It also depends on how much you want to spend and the weather.

OP
OP
D
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Thank you all for this information Will start planning now and a trip to Boots

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Some say to do it anti clock wise as the views are better that way.
The West is so much better that the East, (East is flatish, West is Mountainous and Wild) but each to their own, Sango bay campsite (Durness) has amazing views over a small but fab beach, Scourie, Kylesku are very pretty and Clachtoll bay looks amazing, we are heading there end of September time to spend more time as we rushed past last year.
Remember if you don't cover it all, you can, like us, go back to do it again, I can't wait.

We spoke to a photographer in Kinlochewe and he suggested doing the applecross area coast road in and mountain out, that way you are always facing the views, which makes good sense I guess, another area on my bucket list, but probs eek it out until next year.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Some friends of ours did the NC500 last week in a classic car and they rushed it because they had a set itinerary.

My advice would be to forget doing it as a set route but include part or all of it as a go as you please tour of Scotland itself.

We set out to do the Coast of Scotland a couple of years ago without a set itinerary and it took us 35 nights to follow any road that hugged the Coast from Gretna to Berwick on Tweed and we later discovered that we had done about 80% of the NC500.

Scotland is a huge country with all different kinds of beauty. The part west of the M74 Gretna - Glasgow motorway is stunning and the Girvan- Ayr - Greenock coast road is , in the main, well worth a visit. Cross the Clyde at Erskine Bridge and then meander via Helensburgh to Arrochar & Inverary. Then the scenic route to Oban and on to Fort William. The M74 - M 8 - A82 is always laden with people trying to get to the Highlands as fast as possible!!

The Borders including the likes of Kelso, Langholm, Berwick, Peebles & Melrose and the stunning North Sea Coast are mostly overlooked in the rush to see Nessie etc.

There are loads of places to pitch up in a motorhome all over Scotland.

Take your time and enjoy Scotland

I'll get off my soapbox now:):rolleyes:

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Hello have three weeks to spend on the Nc 500 has any body done an itinery so me and the wife can see as much as possible will be bringing the dog as well, any help would be much appreciated thank you in advance
How lucky are you....!!

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
[QUOTE
The West is so much better that the East, (East is flatish, West is Mountainous and Wild) but each to their own, Sango bay campsite (Durness) has amazing views over a small but fab beach, Scourie, Kylesku are very pretty and Clachtoll bay looks amazing
Totally agree with the above. I think it's heaven on earth! Lovely site at Scourie : my Avatar shows the view from our pitch.

P.S. Not sure why my comment seems to be highlighted as if it was a quote and the quote isn't. Probably operator error!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
All the opinions are pointing towards the west coast We will be heading up from Heysham after a ferry trip from the isle of man.

Nice trip up through the borders I think

OP
OP
D
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
we have a scooter trailer and scooter for the back of the motorhome would this be useful or too much hard work going round the 500

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Having been visiting the NW coast for40 years I think that the 500 is becoming a real problem for the residents. The sheer numbers of every type of vehicle doing the 500 has totally overwhelmed the infrastructure. There are too many vehicles,many hired, a lack of sites and shops and fuel. We are at the spot we have always used and hearing some horror stories from the locals already and it is only May.

OP
OP
D
Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Having seen quite a few post on here about the 500 and watching the program on alba tv I am beginning to think I may try other destinations in Scotland have you guys got any great spots to visit?

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Having been visiting the NW coast for40 years I think that the 500 is becoming a real problem for the residents. The sheer numbers of every type of vehicle doing the 500 has totally overwhelmed the infrastructure. There are too many vehicles,many hired, a lack of sites and shops and fuel. We are at the spot we have always used and hearing some horror stories from the locals already and it is only May.
Yes I have to agree we did it in March and I don't think I've ever seen so many MH,a lot of them were hired ones.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back