Have the search criteria for Hypersat changed? (1 Viewer)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I lock on to Intelsat by searching for Hypersat first but last week my Oyster could no longer lock on to Hypersat so I could shift manually to Intelsat. Does anybody know if things have changed recently?
Steve

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
By Hypersat, and mentioning Intelsat, I presume you mean Hispasat at 30 west, if you mean Intelsat at 27.5w

Frequencies can change anytime, and so yes it is entirely possible the frequency you used to look for is now no longer an active frequency.

Here is a current list of the active frequencies on 30W : https://www.lyngsat.com/Hispasat-30W-4-30W-5.html

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks Satandpcguy yes that is exactly what I meant and that was the site I was trying to remember but obviously spelling Hispasat wrong Nothing came up with my search. Old age memory loss is so annoying! Thanks again for your help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
If the transponders do change we can talk you through altering them within the system menu. If you call us on the office number (01858575928) when you are with the system we will be able to go through this process with you.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi Anthony OysterTech sorry so long for my reply, thanks for the offer but I have changed transponders many times so I know how to do it. But fantastic service as always, so refreshing to find a dealer who will always offer to help people with kit not bought from them and for many years after.
Looking at the Lyngsat site for Hispasat, there is not much choice now as most transponders are DVB-S2 which my dish cannot lock on to. The only possibles I can see are 11884-V, 12052-H, 12092-V, 12108-V, 12132-H & 12519-V.
Have you tried any with success? Or have you any suggestions for nearby satellites for finding Intelsat at 27.5W. I fear that it is not the BBC who will cut off this (dubious) source of TV but the modernisation of the satellites. The cost of upgrading the Dish are probably too high now all is available on the internet and the cost of data is coming down. Thanks again for your help.
Steve

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Steve,

The only active DVB-S frequencies I have on Hispasat (30.0W) are as follows:

Frequency: 10890 Polarisation: V Symbol: 27500 FEC: 2 I/Q: 1
Frequency: 11422 Polarisation: V Symbol: 5000 FEC: 5 I/Q: 1
Frequency: 11510 Polarisation: V Symbol: 10000 FEC: 3 I/Q: 1
Frequency: 12519 Polarisation: V Symbol: 1481 FEC: 3 I/Q: 1

The first one works for definite but I haven't tried the other three yet (manic busy here since lockdown). My only concern is the low symbol rates although the last two are also on 30W-6 instead of 30W-5 which we have always used. I'll do some testing when I can on that.

The frequencies you found (other than 12519) do indeed work but they are on the american beam and not the European so they won't work I'm afraid.

There is a HD upgrade that we offer at a cheaper price but it would still not include Intelsat in the search satellite settings. The HD unit can also replace Vision I/Vision II units. The price for the upgrade is £380 inc VAT so won't break the bank but obviously still includes the manual faff.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi David,

The upgrade is to the Oyster HDTV receiver.
Basically you get a black receiver/satellite control box, a magic eye, a new power cable and 2 remote controls to operate it with. It connects to the TV via HDMI or Phono cable and all menu's appear on screen.
The downside when wanting Intelsat is that it doesn't have an output loop to attach a secondary receiver however you can use either an A/B switch to redirect the signal when manually moved or a loop switch (which is like a fancy splitter. One side is a master and the other is a slave so both outputs never work at the same time but I can explain better if either are required).
It plugs directly into the existing cabling up to the roof unit and, as it's HD, it won't suffer from the problems with SD transponders being turned off.
If you'd like more information or like to discuss it in more detail then please contact me in the office on 01858575928, PM me on here or email me directly anthony@oystersat-tech.co.uk.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Movistar+ (Spain) used to "dual transmit" on Hispasat as well as on the main Astra 1 (due to two sat companies merging many years ago). To cut costs, and avoid duplication, the closed down their Hispasat transmissions. Makes sense, why transmit the same content to the same area on two satellites. Hence why there are so few activate frequencies on Hispasat now.

I fear that it is not the BBC who will cut off this (dubious) source of TV but the modernisation of the satellites.
Nothing to do with the BBC, as this is a service run by Arqiva, who operate the Freeview service. And the I907 satellite that was there, has been replaced with another satellite I901, which will keep that slot active for a few more years now.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi Steve,

The only active DVB-S frequencies I have on Hispasat (30.0W) are as follows:

Frequency: 10890 Polarisation: V Symbol: 27500 FEC: 2 I/Q: 1
Frequency: 11422 Polarisation: V Symbol: 5000 FEC: 5 I/Q: 1
Frequency: 11510 Polarisation: V Symbol: 10000 FEC: 3 I/Q: 1
Frequency: 12519 Polarisation: V Symbol: 1481 FEC: 3 I/Q: 1

The first one works for definite but I haven't tried the other three yet (manic busy here since lockdown). My only concern is the low symbol rates although the last two are also on 30W-6 instead of 30W-5 which we have always used. I'll do some testing when I can on that.

The frequencies you found (other than 12519) do indeed work but they are on the american beam and not the European so they won't work I'm afraid.

There is a HD upgrade that we offer at a cheaper price but it would still not include Intelsat in the search satellite settings. The HD unit can also replace Vision I/Vision II units. The price for the upgrade is £380 inc VAT so won't break the bank but obviously still includes the manual faff.
Hi Anthony,
I tried Frequency: 10890 Polarisation: V Symbol: 27500 FEC: 2 I/Q: 1 for the Hipasat search but it did not work
so I changed to FEC:3 as in the other thread linked to above and it did work as did FEC:4
My system will not go below Symbol:10000 so 2 & 4 above are out but I tried Frequency: 11510 Polarisation: V Symbol: 10000 FEC: 3 I/Q: 1 and it also works so we still have 2 frequencies for the moment but as they are now using the new satellite I wonder for how long before they are all DVB-S2 so finding Intelsat 901 at 27.5W will need your new tuner. Then of course as soon as we have upgraded, Freeview will turn off the backup system. :cry:.
Steve

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Anthony,
I tried Frequency: 10890 Polarisation: V Symbol: 27500 FEC: 2 I/Q: 1 for the Hipasat search but it did not work
so I changed to FEC:3 as in the other thread linked to above and it did work as did FEC:4
My system will not go below Symbol:10000 so 2 & 4 above are out but I tried Frequency: 11510 Polarisation: V Symbol: 10000 FEC: 3 I/Q: 1 and it also works so we still have 2 frequencies for the moment but as they are now using the new satellite I wonder for how long before they are all DVB-S2 so finding Intelsat 901 at 27.5W will need your new tuner. Then of course as soon as we have upgraded, Freeview will turn off the backup system. :cry:.
Steve

Apologies, it was FEC 3. Sorry, it was Friday and I was way over due a rest!
Good news that you got two working as well. At least that means we can keep going this way for a little while longer at least.
As Sat and PC guy said above, a lot of the changes were due to channels being broadcast on both Hispasat and Astra 1 and it makes no sense paying out twice to broadcast the same services to the same area. Hopefully, now they've finished removing channels they will leave the active frequencies alone but only time will tell. Same with the back up BBC services on 901. I have no idea how long the contract is with Arqiva, maybe Satandpcguy could shed some light??

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Same with the back up BBC services on 901. I have no idea how long the contract is with Arqiva, maybe Satandpcguy could shed some light??
Original contract was started in 2007. Multi year deal. Is all i know.
The system is used, but not often, and people only spot is is being used when they have a different local bbc news to what they are used to vi Freeview. There was a site that logged the times it is used for Freeview back up, but I cannot remember where it is now!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back