Have the full timers given up for the winter? (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I'm feeling guilty, because I seem to be the one starting threads here at the moment. I'm still pleased with my choice to become a full time van dweller. The rain and one or two other problems are messing me up, but today looks reasonable, so that should give me the chance to so what I consider to be urgent. Thde fuel filter change is the one that concerns me the most. I can't attend to the rust until spring, but that is another problem that needs some attention as soon as possible.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm feeling guilty, because I seem to be the one starting threads here at the moment. I'm still pleased with my choice to become a full time van dweller. The rain and one or two other problems are messing me up, but today looks reasonable, so that should give me the chance to so what I consider to be urgent. Thde fuel filter change is the one that concerns me the most. I can't attend to the rust until spring, but that is another problem that needs some attention as soon as possible.
You have been going to do this for a week or so now, what is stopping you , you are only looking at half an hour at the most.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
We have not given up we are on a farm at the moment but we travel alot round the uk we have full timed for 2years now . Yes the rain is a downer. But we have a good bank of films and go out for tea as a treat when its bad weather. We tryed to go back to living in a house but we gust love the van life . John n LINDA
CD1877E8-0B65-4856-9648-B2407B78AE1B.jpeg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Nope, coming up on 11 years and only had 1 night in a house in all that time. That was a special occasion as I had gone out for meal and drinks with friends, then back to their place for more drinks after the pub shut. We finally wound down at 3am and I couldn't get a taxi back to my van which was 3 miles away. Slept on their sofa.

My first 2 winters hit -20°C, I have had boilers break down, electrics fail, suspension fail, brakes fail and many many more disasters.

In the early days, I would get a little bit stressed by problems. But these days I take it all in my stride and never panic/worry anymore. Comes with experience I suppose.

current problem is the van catastrophically failed it's MOT, I should have been putting a bit of money away each week to buy a replacement van, but never quite got round to it. Big push on saving up for a replacement at the moment.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
I think when full timing it’s an ongoing thing replacing things that go wrong. Like you would at home . We had a roof leak just before Christmas so I had to go on roof not one of my finest moments as I hate highs but re sealed it and cross my fingers lol .
yes it worked. But out side work will be done in better weather.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Well I replaced the fuel filter, and that was overdue. The glass in the filter monitor tube was showing black. It's now nice and clear.I thought I was going to have problems with priming the system,but I filled the new filter with clean diesel, replaced the old one, and the engine fired up with just a touch on the button. It didn't even cough,but just ran on smoothly. I sprayed some silicone grease on the serpentine pulleys, andgot rid ofthe squeak that has been annoying me for a while.

My friend cleared off this morning for some family emergency, so I didn't bother with the oil change. I'm about 1,000 miles early for that anyway. I changed the fuel filter by a Lidl car park, and the only problem was the absence of any soap in the Lidl loo. The warning light is still on, but I've only driven about half a mile since the change, so I'll see if it clears later. If not, then I'll have to check the wiring to see if the mouse got at it. The important thing is that the fuel looks clean, and the engine is running smoothly, and I don't seem to have created any leaks.

Sucoz

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
‘A’ Class
Exp
since 2011
Yes I suppose we have! Started doing house sits and my husband loves it, get to move about the country, have no electric/gas bills and often have a dog to walk and keep us fit. Still living in the van between house sits and plan to spend April/May touring Scotland, but no definite plans really.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Rain, no socket for the oil filter, no petrol can, no drain bowl, no spare container for the used oil, and posting on MotorHome Fun

For GOODNESS SAKE...

You have given 5 (FIVE) great reasons why you should take the van to a garage to have the oil and filter changed...

AND you can post about it whilst they are doing the job...

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Changing the oil, air and fuel filters are usually pretty trivial jobs, and the last time I had some work done on the van, the guy said they didn't need to be done. I suspect that the reduced engine efficiency has cot me more in diesel, than the labour to do the job. There are some consideration as a full time van dweller, and I'm just learning about them. Disposing of the old oil is one, and councils don't make thing particularly easy. The other is trying to preserve my image ( such as it is ), and I don't want to create any additional difficulties for myself in the future. It is becoming a little harder as councils, and service providers look to increase revenue with parking penalties.

QUOTE="Wildbill, post: 3654519, member: 18938"]
Remember when treting rust you must treat both sides
Bill
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for reminding me, I'm aware that rust often starts on the inside.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Changing the oil, air and fuel filters are usually pretty trivial jobs, and the last time I had some work done on the van, the guy said they didn't need to be done. I suspect that the reduced engine efficiency has cot me more in diesel, than the labour to do the job. There are some consideration as a full time van dweller, and I'm just learning about them. Disposing of the old oil is one, and councils don't make thing particularly easy. The other is trying to preserve my image ( such as it is ), and I don't want to create any additional difficulties for myself in the future. It is becoming a little harder as councils, and service providers look to increase revenue with parking penalties.
An industrial estate out of the way is usually the best place to do things like this.

As for disposing of oil. Most council run tips have a place to dispose of this. The height barriers are an issue but use google maps (street view) and you will find one that will enable you to park on the road outside and walk in.

If you intend to do this yourself in future then you should buy something like this.
Link Removed

But to be honest, after 2 years of doing my own maintenance, and the hassle involved I now find it easier just to take it to the local tyre and exhaust place. Oil change and new oil filter are dirt cheap, they have the ramps and tools and do it while I wait... The reduced hassle is worth the extra £10 I spend. I also then don't have to travel to dispose of the oil and don't have to store the oil pan.

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Just for clarification - I don't have problems finding locations, and these are the attributes I look for.
- The possibility of continuous parking for s few days in case I have problems.
- Close to a loo with hand washing facilities, and fresh water.
- Cafe with free WiFi and power
- Supermarket nearby in case I need food or household bits.
- Amazon locker in case I need to buy tools or parts.

I've given up n asking garages to perform routine task. I used to clear scrap metal from some of them when I was messing with stationary engines, and exhibiting at vintage fairs, and I know of some of the tricks they tried on some customers. They seem to find additional problems that aren't there, but don't bother to look for possible problems such as loose bolts and screws. It is also useful to do such work oneself, and learn about one's vehicle. The more you know, the more likely you are able to cope with a problem in a remote field. As a putative prepper, I need to learn to become self-sufficient.

Apr 28, 2019
Herne Bay Kent CT65HT
Funster No
MH
charisma 11 A class.
Exp
since 1972
Yes I suppose we have! Started doing house sits and my husband loves it, get to move about the country, have no electric/gas bills and often have a dog to walk and keep us fit. Still living in the van between house sits and plan to spend April/May touring Scotland, but no definite plans really.
Hi, Did,nt see you on the I.o.W at Xmas ! You should've called in !!Always a bevvy on board !!

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Just for clarification - I don't have problems finding locations, and these are the attributes I look for.
- The possibility of continuous parking for s few days in case I have problems.
- Close to a loo with hand washing facilities, and fresh water.
- Cafe with free WiFi and power
- Supermarket nearby in case I need food or household bits.
- Amazon locker in case I need to buy tools or parts.

I've given up n asking garages to perform routine task. I used to clear scrap metal from some of them when I was messing with stationary engines, and exhibiting at vintage fairs, and I know of some of the tricks they tried on some customers. They seem to find additional problems that aren't there, but don't bother to look for possible problems such as loose bolts and screws. It is also useful to do such work oneself, and learn about one's vehicle. The more you know, the more likely you are able to cope with a problem in a remote field. As a putative prepper, I need to learn to become self-sufficient.
There are some workshops where you can rent there hydraulic ramps by the hour to do your own maintenance

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We are off to Chamonix on the 23rd of this month but am now thinking of going where you are is there plenty of parking? I don't need hook-up.
Yes, plenty of parking on the aire and leccy is included in the price, so you might as well.
It gets a bit tight at the weekend but arrive during the week and you will get in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back