Have I stumbled across the perfect campvan carbs? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Love couscous! Aldi microwave rice is also very versatile and only about 40p for 2 portions.

As I donā€™t have a microwave in my van, I usually stir it into my chilli/Bolog/soup and heat through, warm it in a pan with a splash of water or put it in a sieve and pour boiling water over it.

I do much the same with their microwave rice. I warm it in my tinned curry! šŸ˜‹

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Not very exciting and like Pot noodles, Cup-a-soups etc a high salt content!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use a lot of stuff like this in our MH as hubby has finally realised that trying to cook the exact same meals we have at home isn't quite so easy, especially when we had only 2 rings! Whilst we use the dried version I prefer the pre-cooked packet stuff that just needs warming up, either by plonking the packet in boiling water, or tipping into a pan to warm through as it's quicker, as a bonus with the former if you want peas for example you can put them in the same pan. Instant mash is good too, much better than the crappy stuff of the past which didn't taste as if it had every been near a potato and 'pasta in sauce' is also a great quick way to do a spag bol by adding cut up meatballs and serving with cheese on top! Coupled with paper plates it means I don't end up doing loads of washing up now either which is a great help as our water lasts longer and we don't use so much gas for cooking/heating water up either.

Next time you're in Aldi have a really good shuftie round their 'packet' stuff as I think you'll be surprise at what's on offer and the cheap prices.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
These are my favourite, chop up some cooked/tinned meat and mix it in. (y)

20211009_111805.jpg

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
These are my favourite, chop up some cooked/tinned meat and mix it in. (y)

View attachment 546145
I've just noticed the 'Best Before' date! :eek:
I doubt it would make the slightest difference to the taste! :love:

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
I've just noticed the 'Best Before' date! :eek:
I doubt it would make the slightest difference to the taste! :love:

Like a lot of stuff it's only a best before date and actually makes no difference to what's inside imo.

I suppose if i wake up dead one morning i may have to change my opinion..... :LOL:

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Like a lot of stuff it's only a best before date and actually makes no difference to what's inside imo.

I suppose if i wake up dead one morning i may have to change my opinion..... :LOL:

There's a world of difference in best before and use by that most of the public don't understand.

Something with a use by is potentially dangerous after that date. A best before is exactly that. The manufacturer reckon it's at its best before that date but not necessarily unsafe after, but may have lost some flavour, texture or may otherwise have got worse organoleptically.

Oct 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 196
Another +1 for Huel. I've been having it for at least one meal a day for over three years now. The hot and savoury is good, haven't tried the macaroni cheese yet. I have the black edition rather than standard, as I want more protein over carbs, but it all depends what fits in to your lifestyle.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
We use a lot of stuff like this in our MH as hubby has finally realised that trying to cook the exact same meals we have at home isn't quite so easy, especially when we had only 2 rings! Whilst we use the dried version I prefer the pre-cooked packet stuff that just needs warming up, either by plonking the packet in boiling water, or tipping into a pan to warm through as it's quicker, as a bonus with the former if you want peas for example you can put them in the same pan. Instant mash is good too, much better than the crappy stuff of the past which didn't taste as if it had every been near a potato and 'pasta in sauce' is also a great quick way to do a spag bol by adding cut up meatballs and serving with cheese on top! Coupled with paper plates it means I don't end up doing loads of washing up now either which is a great help as our water lasts longer and we don't use so much gas for cooking/heating water up either.

Next time you're in Aldi have a really good shuftie round their 'packet' stuff as I think you'll be surprise at what's on offer and the cheap prices.
Do you have a steamer? Cheap ones aren't too expensive. Good way of cooking multiple veg on only two rings.

Cheers James

Aug 14, 2019
Wilmslow, UK
Funster No
MH
2020 Bessacarr 597
Exp
This is so nice. Stir in the tuna once the couscous is done. Doesnā€™t do your breath any favours though. Found it can be fixed with cider or winešŸ˜Š

Attachments

• 4A412C31-EDAE-4CD2-BB72-DA4ED446348F.jpeg
    4A412C31-EDAE-4CD2-BB72-DA4ED446348F.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 48

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do you have a steamer? Cheap ones aren't too expensive. Good way of cooking multiple veg on only two rings.

Cheers James
That is sooooooooooooooooo yesterday! šŸ˜„ :wink:

I have a pressure cooker in which we can cook spuds at the bottom and the veg in a basket above with the meat (chops etc) laid on top so a full meal in one pan. Oh and the water makes lovely gravy as it contains all the flavour/nutrients from the veg and juices from the meat. :tounge: The only thing we may do extra is to brown the meat afterwards in a frying pan whilst the rest is kept warm in then pressure cooker.

Lemut

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 18, 2020
Redditch, UK
Funster No
MH
Class C
Have a look at this supplier guys. Look for 'ramen' in the descriptions that the lower link will access if you want an easy selection. Most packs are under a fiver for 5 meals (some even lower) you can afford to take a flyer if you are not certain. That said, when there are noodles and a 'kin big chicken on the pack I think you could hazard a good guess. Most have English instruction but if not, put the noodles etc in a saucepan. Empty the soup packets and any extras over the noodles. Add 550ml of boiling water and simmer for 4mins. Enjoy when it's cooled a little.
When you have the ramen range sorted, try the other types in the range. I have a strong feeling you will not be disappointed.
Recommended 10/10

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I reckon I've stumbled on the perfect carbohydrate for campervan living. Little packets of coucous from Aldi. Cheaper than chips! And healthier too. Requires just 160ml of boiled water to make, saving water and gas. Boils in no time. No messy pan to wash up. Ready in five minutes. Can be eaten out of the mug it's made in. Tasty too. Think I'm on to a winner! Do you make it in your van or MH?

View attachment 546078
Remember - everything in moderation. To me that is "now and again" food. I love a varied diet and will eat almost anything.

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
I was fed that rubbish food when in Marrakesh, did'nt like it then cant see me liking it just because it's cheap, rather eat McDonalds and that's crap too.

Feb 6, 2019
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Explore RL
Exp
Since 2012
I reckon I've stumbled on the perfect carbohydrate for campervan living. Little packets of coucous from Aldi. Cheaper than chips! And healthier too. Requires just 160ml of boiled water to make, saving water and gas. Boils in no time. No messy pan to wash up. Ready in five minutes. Can be eaten out of the mug it's made in. Tasty too. Think I'm on to a winner! Do you make it in your van or MH?
We discovered boil in the bag couscous and boil in the bag rice while touring Europe a few years back and now keep a packet of each in the mo for when ever we fancy something different from potatoes. Personally I canā€™t stomach pot noodles especially when you can have the real thing in less than 10 minutes.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Normal dried cous cous, with a sprinkle of Osem "chicken flavour" soup powder (never been within a hundred miles of a chicken !) and left to stand while you chop in some sun dried tomatoes, olives and lemon juice makes a good carb to accompany meats/fish.
We used to buy Maggi "So Juicy" spice mix that came with a roasting bag that you pop the meat and herb mix in and leave it to do its thing in the oven, but now I just but the roasting bags and add our own flavours. You can chuck a few veggies or spuds in too for a complete meal, if you have the oven and the bonus is minimal clean up !

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Cor Blimmy!, you can tell you are back at UNI.!:rolleyes:
Sorry but I hate Couscous, & Bulger Wheat, Soya etc, I normally eat anything put in front of me, except those items.

How about those packets of Chinese/Thai/ Malaysian instant noodles?, discovered while back packing years ago, and the far easterns fill their baskets at the Chinese Deli shops each time we visit.
Not being able to read the label for which flavour it is, is half the fun, sometimes you do get a clue though, like a small picture of a Chicken or a Prawn.:giggle: Yet I wont go near Pot Noodle as its completely different texture, and technique in making apparently.
Bon Appetit.
LES
I had a real thing for those noodles when I was pregnant 2nd time round, the only craving I had in 3 pregnancies. Very strange, havenā€™t eaten them since. Wasnā€™t even something I ate before either.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
We had a tagine that I made a while ago (from the freezer) with couscous. T
agine easy slow cooking with meat or just veg can easily be frozen for trips away. Cheaper cuts of meat and spices makes a a good change from curries.
Couscous can last a long time in the cupboard until needed. I have always made with a little butter.
Naturally with a good strong red wine what more could one want.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Camperjack,i just luv aldi,i always seem to get more for my money when i shop there,
We would rather eat less, as we buy M&S food , we go into Aldi and but don't find much we like, and a lot of stuff is no dearer elsewhere

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back