Have I messed up or is it broken? (1 Viewer)

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
Evening all, just taken delivery of our Malibu 640 a few weeks ago and immediately put it into storage. I drained it down as per the manual (inc boiler) thinking I wouldn’t be using it for a while.

As it happened I managed to score a few days off work so went on a ‘shakedown’ weekend and encountered a problem.

The bathroom taps (both sink and shower) are not working properly. The kitchen tap works fine and I can hear the pump working whilst on as when the toilet is flushing. This seems to create a little pressure and I get about 15 seconds worth of water out of the bathroom taps before it dribbles to nothing. The pump doesn’t seem to work whilst the bathroom tap is open.

do you think this is an issue with how i refilled the system or has something broken?

thanks in advance and why Malibu decided to put the waste outlet halfway under the van I’ll never know! Convenient it aint!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Is there water running out under the van when the pump is running?

if so your frost valve has popped, and it’s not your waste water that you are seeing appearing underneath.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
61CB878D-1608-4B6C-BED5-096DB55CE391.png

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sounds like it could be a microswitch problem on the taps that don't work if the kitchen and toilet flush is OK

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Are these micro switched taps, can you see wires going to the bottom of the tap?

Edit: beat to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Usually confused.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
Boiler drain valve closed as per above. Drained it down prior and it comes out of separate outlet to waste (different sides of van). All reset when I refilled the water tank and subsequently the boiler.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Do you have a switch on the control panel to turn the water system on?
What happens when you turn that on if you have one?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Usually confused.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
I’ll have to revisit the van to check for wires but I do believe they’re microswitched taps. Can’t get to the van until after Christmas. Is it a simple job to replace if so? It’s under warranty but I’ve another trip plannned and can’t get it back to the dealer before then. If cheap to do, I’ll just get it in somewhere local to sort.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I’ll have to revisit the van to check for wires but I do believe they’re microswitched taps. Can’t get to the van until after Christmas. Is it a simple job to replace if so? It’s under warranty but I’ve another trip plannned and can’t get it back to the dealer before then. If cheap to do, I’ll just get it in somewhere local to sort.
When you get to the van next just crack the kitchen tap open enough to set the pump off and then open the bathroom tap and it will work if its a microswitch problem.

Not sure about changing them as all taps will be different and ours is a pressurised system so not had microswitches for about 20 years.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Usually confused.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
Excellent! Thanks all.

Will try that when I get to the van. At least we’ll know for sure then.

Upvote 0

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Is it a simple job?, depends on how your van was constructed, I don't know your van. When I had a leak in the shower room I went in through the kitchen cupboards
to save taking the sink and toilet out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Usually confused.

Usually confused.

Free Member
Oct 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Malibu 640
Exp
Clueless newbie.
Ha! One for the dealer to sort then.

Was expecting a bit of snagging but delighted with the van overall (except that damn waste outlet! Will have to fernagle something to avoid crippling myself every time I empty the thing)

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
The pump doesn’t seem to work whilst the bathroom tap is open.
In the hope that it is a simple fix to you, how sure are you that the pump is not running with the bathroom tap?

The biggest issue after draining down and a refill is air lock.

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Ha! One for the dealer to sort then.

Was expecting a bit of snagging but delighted with the van overall (except that damn waste outlet! Will have to fernagle something to avoid crippling myself every time I empty the thing)
You do realise you drive over a grey waste drain and pull a lever to dump the water.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds like the boiler is not yet full. When filling from empty after all valves are closed it can take some time with hot tap open for the boiler to fill completely and taps will not work properly until boiler is full and normal pressure reached.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome to FUN!
First check the auto dump valve. It will activate if it gets cold enough and will then need resetting.
Assuming that your fresh water tank is not empty, turn the pump on (you should hear it running) and the hot tap over the sink. It should cough 'n splutter. Leave it until water flows constantly. Meanwhile, check that nothing is draining outside (sometimes the drain valves don't seat properly).
It's possible (but unlikely) that the filter bowl next to the pump has become cracked (by freezing water) and then lets air into the system so that it pumps air rather than water. If no water comes out of the hot tap after a few minutes, I'd check for that.
After you've got water flowing into the main sink (hot & cold) turn those in the bathroom on and wait for it to arrive there also.
Let us know how you get on.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Is there a trigger button on the shower head?
If there is and it's closed you will not get water through
I'm assuming shower head and tap are combined

Upvote 0
Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, you either have:
1. air in the system, which just requires patience, and opening each tap going around until you get spitting, then water
Or, 2
You have turned the butterfly valve but not closed the solenoid which cunningly makes it a two-handed job! Also, if very cold (less than 3degrees) it will just dump again when your back is turned!
Both simple and cost-free solutions.
This can happen to anyone when they drain down.
Best wishes, Richard,

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back