Have I lost all my pics? Flippin' Olympus! (1 Viewer)

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I have an Olympus Camedia C-460 zoom.....supposedly completely idiot proof.

I have a card full of photos and I think something has gone horribly wrong.

When I try to view the last pic I get a screen which gived me 2 options:
Option 1 - turn off power
Option 2 - Format card.....i.e. wipe it :shout:

Obviously I don't want to wipe it.

When I try and upload the pics to my PC via a usb as I always do, it tells me the device is not ready .....it is ready, I have it plugged in!

Can any of you techy types please advise me....in terms I can understand.........is it B*ggered? :Blush: :cry:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I have an Olympus Camedia C-460 zoom.....supposedly completely idiot proof.

I have a card full of photos and I think something has gone horribly wrong.

When I try to view the last pic I get a screen which gived me 2 options:
Option 1 - turn off power
Option 2 - Format card.....i.e. wipe it :shout:

Obviously I don't want to wipe it.

When I try and upload the pics to my PC via a usb as I always do, it tells me the device is not ready .....it is ready, I have it plugged in!

Can any of you techy types please advise me....in terms I can understand.........is it B*ggered? :Blush: :cry:

Hi Linda,

Is it in the camera or a separate card reader?

Try a separate card reader?Does it still do it?

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Linda,

Have you powered camera back up ? Device not ready usually indicates the PC cannot "see" the device - i.e. It does not think it is connected.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Now you are getting technical.............

Card is in camera
I have replaced batteries so camera has power
connect USB to camera and PC,
open usual programme, select upload from camera and.................zilch

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi ...1st what card is it compact flash or /secure D or another

have you tryed it in another card reader

just a thought:RollEyes:

RAY

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Got some slots in the front of the PC but no idea what to do with them :Blush:

Its an Olympus XD picture card

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
May be prudent to buy a card reader
Don't know how old your PC is as to whether it will accept the card.

Was the device left plugged in during a PC power up or reboot?

Windows Does a checkdisk on all Drives if it sees inconsistent data.

Last edited:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
i try another card take a pic and then upload to your pc see if it works linda just to prove it works ... then its the card! or have you tryed that:winky:

ray

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
May be prudent to buy a card reader
Don't know how old your PC is as to whether it will accept the card.

The PC is only 12 months old........There is a slot marked XD, I have tried putting the card in.....

When I go to the transfer images folder and select "from media" it flags up all sorts of options but I don't know where the card reader is situated in the mass of folders etc............am I making sense? :Doh:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
The PC is only 12 months old........There is a slot marked XD, I have tried putting the card in.....

When I go to the transfer images folder and select "from media" it flags up all sorts of options but I don't know where the card reader is situated in the mass of folders etc............am I making sense? :Doh:

The reader can allocate up to 6 drive letters.

You've tried the card both ways in slot?Look in "My Computer"Drive letters could be seen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
What happens if you press playback on the camera with the lens cover closed?

I don't have that option.

I have a quick View button which would normally show the images on the card starting at the last pic I took but instead I get the power off/format options and can't do anything else..................methinks card is duff! :shout:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
The reader can allocate up to 6 drive letters.

You've tried the card both ways in slot?

It will only fit in one way Steve......
I have clicked on drives but all say device is not ready :Sad:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
Can you refer to page 6 of your basic introduction booklet and tell me if any of the icons listed there are displayed on your monitor?

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User

Can't at the mo.....dinners burning....... better go and eat, will be back in 15 mins if you are all still here.

Thanks for the help guys!

Ray, I shall try another card as you suggest......

Exustrek

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
Biddulph, Stoke-On-Trent
Funster No
I'm no expert but i believe that Olympus & Fuji use XD-cards in their cameras & may need a specific reader to read / edit the card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XD-Picture_Card

A friend of ours managed to destroy 2 Fuji XD-cards simply by trying to access them using the built in card reader on his PC, he now only ever connects via USB cable.

Sorry this doesn't help you with your problem but might save things going from bad to worse.

Bryan

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Can you refer to page 6 of your basic introduction booklet and tell me if any of the icons listed there are displayed on your monitor?

The one that says format disc :cry:

Gonna scoff dinner, back shortly

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Linda, I would try the following,

1. Reboot PC.
2. Restart Camera as normal.
3. Connect the two as normal and see if the camera / card is recognised.
4. If not, do you have a second card you can try in the camera, just to see if it is operating 100%?
5. Stop using the card that has a problem if you want to try to recover any pics.if none of the above works.
6. Invest in a card reader for XD cards as mentioned above - don't use the one in your PC, Play it safe and get a specific, branded model as per advice above.
7. If that doesn't do it, there is card recovery software (PM me if you like, I can help) which MAY recover some / all of your images.

PM me if you like, will be working on PC for a while yet.

Laurie

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Just want to say a HUGE thank you to the 3 of you who have just given up your time in the chatroom to try and get this sorted for me.

What a great bunch of people we have here on Fun.....that's why I like it here! :thanks::hug:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
No Debs, but Laurie has some software she reckons might retrieve my pics, I'm sending her the card today. Its the USA pics I am worried about :Doh:

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
oh bum, hope it works, we had the same problem with a compact flash card with all the photos of Matthew's second birthday, so now how you feel

keep us updated

Deb

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Linda

Good old ALDI have some Card Readers on sale this Sunday for just £7.99.

Link Removed

Might be worth the few quid to have it as backup - if you find it doesnt do your XD card, you can always get a refund from them easily enough.

Paul

PS For you skiing types out there, they have a load of ski stuff this Thursday too.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have had one SD card and two compact flash cards become corrupt on me over the last few years. I think today's product is a little more reliable that in used to be. I once lost 4gb of pictures. Experts only recovered a few of them:cry: Now I only use 2 and 1 gb cards and I am quick to download images to a hard drive. With smaller cards you are forced to download them sooner and the chance of loss is at least halved. Sometimes bigger isn't best, those cards WILL fail eventually.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
No Debs, but Laurie has some software she reckons might retrieve my pics, I'm sending her the card today. Its the USA pics I am worried about :Doh:

Hi Linda,

If that doesn't work We have software here we use all the time for data recovery.:thumb:

Steve.

Was a late one last night eh?:roflmto:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Thanks Steve much appreciated ::bigsmile:

It was tooooooo late last night and guess who slept through both alarms this morning :Blush:

Had half an hour to get ready and out for school :shout: made it on time though.....just!

Thanks for the tip Paul......sadly, here in the Twilight zone we don't have an Aldi, the nearest one is a 40 mile round trip (Banbury) - would cost me more in petrol :cry: Have just put one on my Xmas list just in case Santa decides to visit this year :thumb:

I am off to the local chemist to buy a spare card, don't want to put my other card (which is full of last Xmas in Jamaica, school plays, sports days etc) in the camera just in case I b*gger that one up too :Blush:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Update

Well, a new blank card worked fine today so its not the camera.:Smile:

Laurie, I posted the duff one today...............thank you! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun