StAubyns

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Mansfield Woodhouse
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
After the gassing subject raising its head again over the last few days, and the reactions this has caused, one statement has registered with me.

And that is the recommendation from the Foriegn Office? to have an alarm fitted.

I have felt secure with my Disklok, Heosafes on the cab and habitation doors up to now, but because we are planning a 2 to 3week stay in France during September/October, I am beggining to wonder, should I get an alarm?

I am not particular worried about the gas bit, just that I dont want to get broken into.

And which alarm would you recommend?

thanks

Geoff

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
I think if you have enough door security on the inside an alarm won't make any difference exept in your pocket an alarm won't stop an attempt to break in and if they realy want to get in theres all that glass to go at
JMHO

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It really does depend on how you use your vehicle. I have friends that full time in an RV that have absolutely no additional security, when they leave their vehicle they rely only on the door lock, but ...are always leaving it on a site. (they tow a small car) they rarely if ever leave it in a public place. If you have a motorhome that you leave in public places such as town centre car par parks whilst you are exploring or shopping or you wildcamp then an alarm is a good idea. The facility of being able to alarm all entry points, lockers Bikes and even your trailer whist you are secure inside, are good additions.

Most good installers seem to have a two month order book so book early if you need to have an alarm installed. Sirens in the inside of the vehicle are better that on the outside and some alarm installers can fit two very loud, incapacitating sirens that make it almost impossible for the thief to stay in your motorhome for very long, trust me when i say that this noise really works and all alarms should have this facility, the robbers just cannot stay in the vehicle long enough to find your well hidden goodies, of course they will still be able to grab anything to hand like cameras or cash as they flee, but they wont be in the motorhome for long!

If you decide to get an alarm, then you will probably be able to negotiate the addition of a "sleeping" gas detector for almost nothing. If I got one for nothing I might fit it, but I wouldn´t pay a pound for one because I really do think they are not necessary.

If you choose like many do not to have an alarm, then just be a littlae carefull about where you park, there are millions of motorhomes in France without alarms, all having a good time. I hope you do to,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
StAubyns

StAubyns

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Mansfield Woodhouse
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks for that JimJam

I am careful where I leave the van, but we do use it off site, so the alarm is more or less on the will do list.

We do use sites and dont wild camp, and up to yet have never used an aire de service, but the latter will probably happen in September, they look too good to miss.

I have been looking at the van bitz strikeback, any views on this system, it reads like a very good alarm

thanks

Geoff

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:RollEyes: If I have said it once? I've said it a thousand times.

I have been using Wild camping spots, Aires, Supermarket parking lots, etc, etc for the last 7 years. The only robbing that ever took place was:-

Bikes stolen off the back of the RV when parked outside our house.
Bikes stolen off the back of the RV when parked and visiting friends. :winky:

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No

I have been using Wild camping spots, Aires, Supermarket parking lots, etc, etc for the last 7 years. The only robbing that ever took place was:-

You have been lucky John!
In my trucking days I have had several breakins, (but lets not go into it )

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
I've trucked all over europe inc the eastern bloc right into the middle east.
the only attemted robbery was in Turkey (Asian side) by the POLICE they got nothing
except a few lumps :roflmto:

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
I've trucked all over europe inc the eastern bloc right into the middle east.
the only attemted robbery was in Turkey (Asian side) by the POLICE they got nothing
except a few lumps :roflmto:

Been there, done that (got the T shirt, but still got robbed in Spain, had an attempted robbery in Spain and twice had the curtains slashed in France as they were looking to rob and woke up in the morning with the rear doors open.
Never had a problem in Turkey ( luck of the draw)

OP
OP
StAubyns

StAubyns

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Mansfield Woodhouse
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

I am really pleased that what you do has worked out, but at the end of the day, its what you are comfortable with. My brother wildcamps by preference, but its not for me.

I am happy on sites so that it what I do, but Aires de service are on the list "to do" and if I feel comfortable with them I will continue to use them

regards

Geoff

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We were robbed somehow in Spain.

If my wife and dog slept through it no alarm would have helped.

Don't waste your money:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back