LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok here goes, feel free to call me stupid and change my mind.

I have never really been a dog lover, could never hurt one, but not really in to dogs, cats yes but dogs no. However my mother in law has a basset hound that I have come to like and really enjoy walking her when I am down visiting,

However, last year we went on a meet at Peterborough, where we met from here dised whom had the most beautiful newfoundland dog that I have ever seen. Anyhow, my oldest som fell in love and played with him all weekend, I on the other hand admired from a distance.
However I started to really want one and started to do some research in to the breed, I bacame quite amazed at what I found out and what a wonderful breed these dogs were. I started to research character and other traits through the newfoundland website.

So I know they are a messy big hairy beast that will leave slobber and fur everywhere they go, I also know that life will not be the same and that everything will have to be dog friendly when we go away including our trips abroad.
I also know they love water and will jump in at every opportunity.

I know they need exercise and eat a lot of food, I know my car will smell as will my motorhome and I fully expect the resale value to fall.

So having looked at all this, I still think we have a very loving family home to offer such a dog, Two energetic children to entertain him/her one wife to take care of the hairdressing and of course my self to do all the dirty jobs.

My mother in law is a dog trainer and I also work with a lady whom husband is a police dog trainer, both willing to give me help.

I don't think a puppy would be a good idea and have seen a couple that need rehoming (from their owners) for different reasons.

So has any one any further advice they would like to add offer?

But please no a dog is for life not for xmas remarks as we have thought this through for nearly 12 months. (although of course I do accept that the saying is a very worthy one)

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Go for it. There are all manner of things that you will not be able to do and places that you cant go but IMO you cant beat a dog for a best mate.
Jim
:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You've been had, that's not a dog it's a miniature horse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
As someone who used to own a Newfoundland a few pointers
Try to get one reasonably young as they dont live to a great age.
As you say they do drool and drop hair but if groomed often the hair is much less of a problem.
Take onto consideration they can get BIG ours was almost 14 1/2 stones and not fat as far as character and temperament I have know several and never known a bad one hope all this helps

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I saw that dog, wasn't he a beaut? Go for it Paul, kids love a dog, and they are great for getting you out in the fresh air, big dogs needs lots of excercise :thumb::thumb:

Little tip -Make sure you get some insurance, vet bills these days are horrendous.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul & fam,We have a rescue dog :thumb: and would not be without him ::bigsmile:Not too sure when the time comes as to replacement (long time away hopefully)if we would :winky:(getting older :ROFLMAO:) Not too sure if we could put up with all the slaver:ROFLMAO: but for the love and affection you will all get back in return -- go for it :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Hope he won't put you over the limit of your available payload !:Smile:

You've obviously got people around you who can advise but it does need an awful lot of serious thought.
We've got a springer/staffy cross and he's great, just the right size for a Hymer bench seat with just enough threatening growl to put off burglars.
We picked him especially to go with our lifestyle, lots of energy to keep us fit but not so much as to keep him whizzing round the van after a walk.
Don't forget good pet insurance is a must, but not cheap, (ours broke his foot, £600) cost to us £80.
Don't forget also the massive food bill, and do you have the space to store all those cans and sacks of biscuits, and do you have the space to leave bowls on the floor.

Pet passport has to be kept up, that means regular injections, again not cheap.
There is always the hassle of finding a vet before you return to England, needs extra planning.

That said a dog is a great partner along lifes road and we wouldn't be without our mate Jake.

If you have no joy with the dogs you've already seen, try Googling "Newfoundland Resue Centres".
Best of luck
(Have you considered a Yorkshire Terrier ?):ROFLMAO:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Hi Paul & fam,We have a rescue dog :thumb: and would not be without him ::bigsmile:Not too sure when the time comes as to replacement (long time away hopefully)if we would :winky:(getting older :ROFLMAO:) Not too sure if we could put up with all the slaver:ROFLMAO: but for the love and affection you will all get back in return -- go for it :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

well i just did exactly the same said no more dogs and never had a dog for over ten years but i have a border terrier and he is great best thing i have done in along time we love to go walking and find it workd well with motorhoming

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Yes you have gone Mad never mind a dog how about another sprog? try keeping your socks on and you might get a GIRL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Think that breed of dog, and yes they are lovely, is just WAY to big for a motorhome! Although the mention of payload was probably in gest,, I think a dog that large could indeed tip you over the payload!! I have a golden retriever and there are times I wish she was the size of a yorkshire terrier!

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
On the plus side a dog is great company, he makes you take the excercise you wouldn't on the vilest of days, he defends 'his' humans against all threats real or in his doggy brain cell, he's always pleased to see you and always loves you.

HOWEVER, you can't take him on a lot of beaches 1 May to 30 September, some sites won't accommodate him and some charge as much as £3 a night, a lot of pubs won't let him in. You have to think of nights like bonfire night, NY Eve etc when fireworks are going off - if he's as terrified as our Ben you end up spending your nights comforting the hound instead of out enjoying the fun. Also, it's against the rules on a lot of sites to leave a dog unattended in your camper so if you do want to go somewhere for the day that's not dog friendly you have a problem.

I'm afraid the dog rules!!!!

Jan

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Haganaps,
The "Yorkshire Terrier" comment was just a joke,......please tell me you've got an RV,
cos if you've still got the Adria I've just seen in your photos, where in hell do you think this giant is going to sleep ? Just looking at the picture of him laying down full stretch he's going to need the overcab bed to himself. So where does that leave you two.?:Nowink:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just looking at the picture of him laying down full stretch he's going to need the overcab bed to himself. So where does that leave you two.?:Nowink:

Can I be there when they try and get it up there, please, with a camera running.

Sherpa

Free Member
Aug 7, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
25yrs with breaks
We have a Scottish Terrorist, sorry, Terrier, and we love him to bits. The problem we have is that he travels everywhere with us. Ok thats fine, but oviously there are ocasions when we have to leave him alone in the vehicle. He is quite happy to be left and its never for long periods, nor on hot summer days, but our big worry is that the motorhome may be stolen with him in it or broken into and the dog set free. This would break our hearts; they can have the motorhome and anything in it, but our Scotty could never be replaced.

Also, as previousy mentioned, the other downside of having to take your dog with you is that you are obviousy limited as to where you can go, ie. most beaches, theme parks and the like, we could never leave our dog for such long periods.

Also Continental travel is not quite so enjoyable if like us, you do not wish to put your dog into kennels or whatever. If you are able to cope with all this, then by all means get yourselfe ad dog, he will never wish you any harm, but may lick you to death.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My brother has one and a wonderful dog although crazy about water (great Swan rescuers:roflmto:)

Please please re home one. So many people buy a big dog as a nice idea then don't want them so I beg to re home one Paul.

You love having one.

Manouche

Free Member
Feb 5, 2009
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
have you seen what Roadrunner has for company.
unfortunatly, he now only has one Great dane but until recently he hauled two of 'em with him. :Eeek:

Does Roadrunner have kids and want to spend time surfing and skiing ?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
No no no no no, don't do it!!, Your lives will never be the same again (or your own for that matter). Everything you do will have to be organised around the mutt (sorry that should read loving canine). You will have to get up early to walk the brute and will spend half (at least) of that walk carrying a bag (make that a BIG bag) of sloppy, foul smelling doggy doo doos (good hand warmer in winter though:winky:). All your future trips out in the motorhome will have to take into account the beast and his (or hers) needs. Your house will no longer be your own and your furniture will look like Steptoe and son gave up on it (think Turner and Hooch here)! Your finances will suffer severely as the mouth on legs devours expensively huge quantities of food. Not even your bed will be a safe haven as this monster will soon discover that its the nicest, warmest, softest place in the house and will jump on it at every opportunity, especially when you're in it.

On the other hand you will discover the most unconditional love and affection ever. He/she will greet you with a slobbery kiss and a wagging tail EVERY time you come home. If you have to chastise the dog it will sulk......................for a few minutes then it will want to play again. It will be the greatest friend and companion your kids will ever know. When you've had a bad day he/she will remind you of what is really valuable in life, love and friendship!

Oh go on then, get yourself some trouble on four legs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

D.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Couldn't agree more, Dave has said it all.

Especially the bit about the bed. My two think my bed is theirs. Even though they have nice big beds of their own to go in to. And getting them to shift up so I can get in is a major problem.

And together they only weigh about 8 stone, so you'll have twice as much to shift. :Eeek:

I use babies' nappy disposal bags on walks - I think you'd better build up a stoc

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Couldn't agree more, Dave has said it all.

Especially the bit about the bed. My two think my bed is theirs. Even though they have nice big beds of their own to go in to. And getting them to shift up so I can get in is a major problem.

And together they only weigh about 8 stone, so you'll have twice as much to shift. :Eeek:

I use babies' nappy disposal bags on walks - I think you'd better build up a stock of Tesco's bags. :ROFLMAO:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Hi Haganaps,
This post might be a bit long 'cos we've got TWO Newfies so i feel I am qualified to talk about them ::bigsmile:

First and foremost, please do a rehoming, I am involved with Sue Hislop of the the Newfoundland Club Rescue group and she has told me the numbers comming to her have increased dramatically in the past year and I think they will increase yet again this year.

Now, what are they like ? well most of the above posts are true enough but I must say our two aren't big on drool, hairs yes but drool no. We had to get a Bosch industrial vacuum cleaner to cope :RollEyes:

I can't really describe the love and affection they give and every child will learn so much from having one in the familly. IMO they are not big eaters in fact I would say they are a bit 'fussy' on their food (Unlike some breeds I could name ::bigsmile:)

Also, excercise doesn't have to be a ten mile hike everyday, we go out for an hour or maybe an hour and a half in the afternoon, they can run around our meadow and garden which is about 2 acres but rarely do so.

Yes they like water if they've been introduced as puppies, ours were not so they don't often go in the lakes and rivers we have here.

Where we are now (Eastern Europe) the vets bills are reasonable which is just as well as we can't get insurance here. In the UK I would advise getting insurance.

In addition to the official Newfoundland Club web site there is this one as well:-
Link Removed

I hope you go ahead 'cos it sounds like you've thought a lot about it and I am strongly of the belief that people who have never known dog ownership are the poorer for that, see my signature.

Finaly, will he/she fit in your MH, yes of course he will, he might want to share your bed :RollEyes: but what the heck, when you look in those eyes there's just no way anyone with a heart can say no ::bigsmile: For various reason I'm looking at getting a panel van caonversion on a MWB Renault Master and our two will go with us everywhere as they do now :Cool:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
On the other hand you will discover the most unconditional love and affection ever. He/she will greet you with a slobbery kiss and a wagging tail EVERY time you come home. If you have to chastise the dog it will sulk......................for a few minutes then it will want to play again. It will be the greatest friend and companion your kids will ever know. When you've had a bad day he/she will remind you of what is really valuable in life, love and friendship!

Dave has put it far more eloquently than me and I confirm that every word he has written is true, especially the benefits to your children, and you just can't put a monetory value on that.

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
We have two cockers and wouldn't be without them. Accept a dog in your life and don't look back. Well, you can't really in case you tread in something. On second thoughts, with a Newfie you're more likely to fall over it rather than tread in it. Only joking, adopt your dog and love it as much as it will love you. :thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
a few tips for you

Check the breed you are thinking of getting, some breeds are more prone to certain illnesses and diseases than others. Additionally many camp sites now have restrictions on the type of breed they will accept.

Make sure you get pet insurance as should anything happen e.g the dog escape and get run over it can be extremely expensive.

if the dog hasnt already got a pet passport it can take anything from 6 to 9 months with everything all clear through each stage to get the dog its first passport so unless you have someone the dog is used to and you can trust, dont go planning any trips abroad as you wont be able to take the dog with you.

Hope everything works out for you xxxxxx

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
Yes do it kids will love it. We had a St Bernard (down side is they don't live long lives) for 9 years he was 18stone in his prime and had 3 face lifts his wrinkles kept falling in his eyes.
He came caravanning with us for years we towed with a Transit Van which we used for his home worked very well and he was always popular on site.
Keep us informed of your decision and some photos
Maureen

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
many thanks

many thanks for all your input.

just to answer some of the points.

It would be a rehomed pet. I have been in touch with the newfoundland club whom I will be going though to adopt one. The road to adoption looks more difficult than getting a baby, but I would rather tread this route in order to make sure all is done properly.

So here goes,

Van size- of course he will fit, my van's a 7 berth- theres only four of us so plenty of room.:thumb:

yes my van will smell a bit and yes depreciate a bit , but hey ho a clean house is an insane house and all that. :Smile:

We have checked the breed and all the pitfalls etc of owning. We don't just want a dog we want a newfoundland.:Cool:

Insurance, seems a strange expensive thing to have to have but obviously must be worth it.:Angry:

we would not take the Newfoundland aborad with us on our family summer holiday. We would leave him/her with Nikkis mum. However Skiing? you bet the newfoundlands love the snow.:thumb:

so we will have to wait a while now whilst the newfoundland social services do the required checks, but I will keep you all updated and once again thank you all for your helpfull replies.:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Insurance, you must get a FOR LIFE policy as if the dog become expensive the policy cant be cancelled at renewal.

Bruno and Amy combined cost me £40 a month now with NFU but Bruno's in trouble now and the examination the other day cost £700 and the operation on the 16th of this month will run into thousands.

If you feed a giant dog sensibly he will not cost a fortune but the vets bill will always be high dued to thee cost of medication.

Worth every penny but again please Adopt:pray:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back