Have I done enough for Winter? (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Our motorhome won’t be used much - if at all - over Winter because SWMBO can’t cope with low temperatures :( To get it ready for Winter I have drained the fresh and grey water tanks, the water heater (by turning the hot taps on in the kitchen and bathroom until they run dry), put the Truma heating on electric set to 10 degrees and put two sonic mouse repellents on. I have just realised, as I type this, that the toilet flushing tank and the cassette are both about half full so I will drain them tomorrow. Is there anything else that I need to do? I have read somewhere - probably on this forum - that I need to use an air line (which I haven’t got) to drain the tanks properly. All suggestions gratefully received.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

What make and model of MH?

*I would drive around with the tanks empty, drain open and the pipes should free up.
*Make sure you do not over charge the battery, maybe disconnect it for a while and then re-charge.
*Fill the Tank as much as possible with fuel to prevent condensation forming inside.
*drop some detergent into u bends of drains/traps
*Top-Up Wet batteries
*Remove any dry cell batteries (TV remotes etc)
*Place wine corks under wiper blades to keep away from freezing screens
*Chock wheels, place in gear and free off hand brake
*Take MH out every few weeks for a drive to rotate wheels, keep fluids moving around
*Spray EHU connections with WD40 (Electric off)
*Check Engine Anti-Freeze levels
*Fill Washer fluid with strong solution of winter additive and flush by washing screen with the wiper wash motor

Probably loads more, you know whats coming next..........?............

Tell SWMBO that you are going away in the MH and put the heating on !.

Mrs. TM loves nothing more than getting rid of me to the ski slopes, heating on, making fresh soup and some Soap or Book Catch-Ups!

Snug as a bug in a rug she is.

Good Luck!

TM

Jul 30, 2015
Barnsley, South Yorks
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail, Tracker FB
Exp
45 yrs Tugging
Have you opened the drain valve near the Truma heater????
I thought I had read that it was not a good idea to run Truma Heating for an extended period as you could burn out the electric elements.
Cliff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Good advice TeeMyob.
How do you get the Thetford toilet systern to drain completely? Other than pushing the flush button until the water runs out, I cant think of any other method as it probably wont drain fully by gravity.
I would also run a small thermostatically controlled fan heater (best type are greenhouse heaters as they are built to run 24/7), or even an oil filled thermostatically controlled radiator whilst at home on the drive, as its less wear & tear on The Truma boiler heater elements.
Better still just use the van, any excuse to go away eh? (y)

Last edited:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I wouldn't bother heating the van, if you keep it aired it will be fine.

I would open all cupboard doors and bench seats to allow airflow. I would move cushions away from external walls. Lower beds above cab to allow air in.
Leave fridge door ajar. Check regularly and it should be fine.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Good advice TeeMyob.
How do you get the Thetford toilet systern to drain completely? Other than pushing the flush button until the water runs out, I cant think of any other method as it probably wont drain fully by gravity.
I would also run a small thermostatically controlled fan heater (best type are greenhouse heaters as they are built to run 24/7), or even an oil filled thermostatically controlled radiator whilst at home on the drive, as its less wear & tear on The Truma boiler heater elements.

Get someone to hold the button on the move (Bit ott - seat belt r'qd)

Still be better making good use of it.

Never had a cold Motorhome yet!

Eura Mobil 716HB 2001 Mercedes Sprinter 416CDi RHD SprintShift
Frankia I8000 Mercedes 2007 3 Litre V6 RHD Manual
La Strada Mercedes Sprinter 2013 318CDi 3 Litre V6 LHD 5G-Tronic Automatic
Hymer B644 2001 Fiat LHD Manual 5 Speed

We have two lovely homes and much of the time, I much prefer our motorhome.

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Can’t you take the Mrs to Spain for the winter. Will save you the bother of draining down.

We drained down the first year but now we can’t bear to see the van just sitting there. As a true Scot we like to get our moneys worth so use it all year now.:LOL:

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Not sure if this applies to motorhome tyres but when we had the caravan I used to put it on axle stands to keep the weight of the tyres.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Don't think i have drained down properly in the last twenty years i just run tap till dry open valve on boiler then just blow through.
but my van is never stood over the winter
bill

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I open all the cupboards, lockers, lift up the bunks etc to let the air circulate, (as said above). I have a 3 foot tube heater connected to a thermostatic plug set to 6 degrees. If I expect a really cold snap, the plug is set to 8 degrees.

Sometimes i use my desiccant dehumidifier left switched on all the time.

https://www.meaco.com/dehumidifier/...-dd8l-junior-dehumidifier-multi-award-winning

They are expensive to buy but they are light and work at low temperatures. When working, they blow out warm air. They work by periodically sampling the air for humidity and switch on when necessary so they are not on all the time.

It also travels with me, on wet rainy days, it has a clothes drying feature and I can dry coats, towels etc. In clothes drying mode its like a warm fan heater that blows warm air but also at the same time sucking out moisture from the atmosphere.

I know there is a debate about moisture migrating from outside into the van / boat and wasting money but it works for me. Never had mildew problems due to the dry atmosphere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,

What make and model of MH?

*I would drive around with the tanks empty, drain open and the pipes should free up.
*Make sure you do not over charge the battery, maybe disconnect it for a while and then re-charge.
*Fill the Tank as much as possible with fuel to prevent condensation forming inside.
*drop some detergent into u bends of drains/traps
*Top-Up Wet batteries
*Remove any dry cell batteries (TV remotes etc)
*Place wine corks under wiper blades to keep away from freezing screens
*Chock wheels, place in gear and free off hand brake
*Take MH out every few weeks for a drive to rotate wheels, keep fluids moving around
*Spray EHU connections with WD40 (Electric off)
*Check Engine Anti-Freeze levels
*Fill Washer fluid with strong solution of winter additive and flush by washing screen with the wiper wash motor

Some good ideas here, thank you. We have an Auto-Sleeper Broadway FB.

Just a few thoughts:

I want to keep it permanently on EHU because of the heating and the sonic mouse repellent devices. I think the Sargent charger is supposed to be an intelligent one, so is that O.K.?

My fuel tank is nearly empty. I thought that was a good idea because fuel deteriorates over time. Perhaps not such a good idea after all?

I have been a motorist for 45 years and have never topped a battery up and have never had a problem. You are worrying me now!

Thanks for all the tips.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
@Stretto Boy
Is your Auto sleeper petrol??

Petrol deteriorates over time but diesel is ok. I mention this because I fill the diesel tank for winter to allow no room for condensation in the tank which is one cause of diesel bug, especially in boats.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
All of the above for winter prep - except I wouldn't bother with heating. As long as the van is kept properly ventilated, and you don't have to leave windows/vents open to do that, all should be well. Take out anything liable to become damp e.g. bedding, pillows, blankets. We used to use dehumidifiers but don't bother anymore and it's made no difference.
However, we do tend to use the m/h more frequently now and if we can go away for the winter.

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
@Stretto Boy
Is your Auto sleeper petrol??

Petrol deteriorates over time but diesel is ok. I mention this because I fill the diesel tank for winter to allow no room for condensation in the tank which is one cause of diesel bug, especially in boats.

Thanks. Mine is a diesel, so it looks as if I need to top up!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Good advice TeeMyob.

Are you saying you have a separate toilet flush tank ? If so take your cassette out and look up inside the door you will see a rubber hose with a plug in it, remove that and drain. :D2
The best advice I can give is load the motorhome and head south. :LOL: Bob.

Reactions: LAM
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
If you have a small clear plastic inline filter before the pump unscrew that and get any water out, I leave mine off over winter along with the shower head and leave all taps open.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Can't say I ever bothered heating mine in winter storage, but I have put those trays of dehumidifier crystals out. Best place is the sink with the plug out in case you forget about them and they overflow. A burst with an electric dehumidifier before storage can be handy.

I usually treat my MH to a dose of fuel system cleaner, typically Power Enhancer's BG244. It's added to a full tank of diesel and run through the engine a bit. A good time to use it is over winter if your MH isn't having much use, then it stays in the fuel system longer and gets to work on the gunk.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back