LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I finally plucked up the courage to have a go driving our m/h today with John advising me , not far admittedly but I did have to turn the van around in our yard at first and then finally park it back up - I have managed on several occasions when asked to have a go wheedle out of it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...but today I just said ok and had a go , I was so against driving our m/h, guess this wonderful dry n sunny weather is a tonic and makes you feel like you can achieve anything :Smile::Smile:

Kath

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Well done, I know how you must feel as I am a wimp when it comes to driving ours and wont do long distance, but I 'm good at reversing it :thumb:

Dale

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Well done Kath,:thumb: Im so glad you have had a go, its not that daunting after you have done it once and i hope you have more little drives of it in the future.

I believe that all with a licence that partake in our hobby (male or female) should feel confidant enough to be able to take over and drive should the need arise

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
You may just have spurred me on, used to drive our old one, and often drove vans when working, but my feet seem a awful long way from the pedals on this one (at least that has been my excuse) like Chatter says always good to be able to in case we have to, Good on you Kath.:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'd love to feel confident enough to drive ours but it scares the shhhhhhh out of me.

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Thank you all for your encouragement, still lots to learn yet though , :thumb:

Well done, I know how you must feel as I am a wimp when it comes to driving ours and wont do long distance, but I 'm good at reversing it :thumb:

Dale
I know how you feel, I dont mind reversing the car so wasnt too nervous on this but it does have one of those beepers on to alert if you are near anything(sorry dont know what they are called)

Well done Kath,:thumb: Im so glad you have had a go, its not that daunting after you have done it once and i hope you have more little drives of it in the future.

I believe that all with a licence that partake in our hobby (male or female) should feel confidant enough to be able to take over and drive should the need arise

There was an incident that made me realise (and Marie and Suzy and others) that I really needed to do this

You may just have spurred me on, used to drive our old one, and often drove vans when working, but my feet seem a awful long way from the pedals on this one (at least that has been my excuse) like Chatter says always good to be able to in case we have to, Good on you Kath.:thumb:

I am lucky then Carol as the position felt comfy with no probs with the pedals, my car is automatic so had to think a mo though which pedal was what :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

I'd love to feel confident enough to drive ours but it scares the shhhhhhh out of me.

Boy it does me .... but it does make sense at least to be able to drive the m/h at least to a safe place if the need arises ...I have no intention to become the equal driver(sorry John ) but at least will be able to drive it if an emergency arises etc ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I will have more lessons /goes yet though before I go on those alp type roads :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Kath

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Well done Kath...:thumb:

In my book this now means you two can travel twice the distance on the same trip so I expect to see you at Quinta Majay soon. :winky:

JJ

Hmmmm now there's an incentive lolol.

Kath

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
I don't mind driving ours (autosleepers executive) but don't like motorway driving, i have drove it over the bridge in France, the really high one think it's called pont du normandie, and then there is a road just as high into the sky, drove it cos Rob (husband) is terified ofmheights and when he saw this in the distance he could not drive over it.

Val

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Maybe a few dont know, so for their bennifit
If your main driver takes ill and there is another licence holder with the vehicle, then your recovery company/insurance can and will refuse to supply a driver for any onward or repatriation journey of the motor home
So learn to drive it one day you may need to:thumb:
Geo
ps Well done Mrs

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Maybe a few dont know, so for their bennifit
If your main driver takes ill and there is another licence holder with the vehicle, then your recovery company/insurance can and will refuse to supply a driver for any onward or repatriation journey of the motor home
So learn to drive it one day you may need to:thumb:
Geo
ps Well done Mrs

Thanks for the info Geo, i wasnt aware of that :Eeek::Eeek: (but didnt know they would send a driver either if no other driver etc ... :ROFLMAO:)

But it does make good sense to learn

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Good on yer Kath!!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

It's great driving these vans - I love ours! You have so much better vision than in a car too!
I park it better than I park the car too! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+

Sedge, dont let it, most of them are not that much different to driving a car these days, ok its a bit longer and a bit higher but much the same. Pick a nice day both go out for a drive even if its just to a local industrial estate on a Sunday and just practice so you get to know how it drives.
If i can drive that one of mine (my avatar) you can drive yours

maggie

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'd have kittens contemplating driving the pick-up without the little attachment! LOL

Pete just said I did alright when he made me drive it in France (about a kilometre along a very straight 2 lane road - ie just one each way - with no ditches or hedges, oh and it was flat LOL) Yes I did it's true, but then 2 artics came past in the other direction and a) I ducked/winced and b) when that physically shook the M/H I was finished. So I had to stop and that was that.

I never used to be such a wimp but I am now.

LBrown

Free Member
Dec 22, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I had a little drive of ours today too! Like you said, must have been the lovely sunshine. Only turned it around in the yard but felt ok. Wouldn't choose to drive it ordinarily but going to keep having a go, just in case I ever actually have to one day!

Lisa

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I'd have kittens contemplating driving the pick-up without the little attachment! LOL

Pete just said I did alright when he made me drive it in France (about a kilometre along a very straight 2 lane road - ie just one each way - with no ditches or hedges, oh and it was flat LOL) Yes I did it's true, but then 2 artics came past in the other direction and a) I ducked/winced and b) when that physically shook the M/H I was finished. So I had to stop and that was that.

I never used to be such a wimp but I am now.

Oh that is a hard one to get over, it seems to be all heavy vehicles where we are on the road and bends ohh so many bends and hills.. Jenny can u try somewhere quieter than prev ... sometimes you can learn easier from a friend than a partner ... I didnt want to drive yrs ago but circumstances made me, and I feel like I climbed a mountain today xx

OP
OP
champers

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I had a little drive of ours today too! Like you said, must have been the lovely sunshine. Only turned it around in the yard but felt ok. Wouldn't choose to drive it ordinarily but going to keep having a go, just in case I ever actually have to one day!

Lisa

It is a great feeling to accomplish something like this... Well done xx

Kath

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
You done what!!!! Next time will you ring me first so I can Make sure I am well out the way!!! And put the nation on rEd alert

I disagree Geo any self respecting brakedown company would not let me go home with Nikki driving if I was Ill :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back