Has this happened to any of you? (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2012
South East Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
This morning some random man drew up outside my house and knocked on the Door asking if I wanted to sell my motorhome as he was looking for a campervan. Fortunately my son answered the door and said no in no uncertain terms. It can't have been on the off chance as I live on a side road. Now worried . Car parked behind it and I'll cycle to work tomorrow!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
There are several threads like this. If you look at the bottom of this page you will see links to some of them.

Sorry .. no you won't. Just checked. ...but there ARE loads of posts on this happening to people. Beware.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
yes weve had it happen twice now so its parked down our drive behind a set of gates with the wives car parked in front of the gates,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P
Feb 5, 2012
South East Essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for your responses. Looks like I'll be cycling to work for the next few weeks, months, years and keep my car behind the motorhome! I'll be vigilant and will have a chat with the neighbours too.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I reckon they will just be chancers, watching to see where you go for the key if you had fallen for it, or to see what you keep I it that's easy to nick

As they didn't get either I would say they have moved on to a softer target (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Make sure your keys are hidden in the house.
Agree ... it amazes me that people leave their wallets, handbags, keys, phones etc laying around all over the place at home and happily toddle off to bed, most of us have the sense not to do it in a motorhome so why do it at home? We always hide stuff ... if anyone has one of those stupid racks with hooks for the keys to go on they want a good slapping!!!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We had a man down our drive at 8.30 pm as Rob was recycling and when questioned asked if we wanted a window cleaner! A likely story will phone 101 tomorrow .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Agree ... it amazes me that people leave their wallets, handbags, keys, phones etc laying around all over the place at home and happily toddle off to bed, most of us have the sense not to do it in a motorhome so why do it at home? We always hide stuff ... if anyone has one of those stupid racks with hooks for the keys to go on they want a good slapping!!!

I've got one of them but it only contains other peoples' (unlabelled) house keys and a strange selection of keys that I've no idea what they're for, it'll delay most burglars no end!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We had a man down our drive at 8.30 pm as Rob was recycling and when questioned asked if we wanted a window cleaner! A likely story will phone 101 tomorrow .
Eek was that tonight Anthea?:Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I really cannot believe that most people still leave the car and motorhome keys near the front or back door. buy a small safe with a real lock, not a keypad and screw it to a wall, then keep the keys in there
the door knocker was likely testing if anyone is home to see if a burglary is going to be easy. if you can afford a motorhome or boat etc, chances are you have good stuff worth stealing

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
This will obviously fly in the face of a lot but strangely enough I got a note through my door a couple of years back asking if I would consider selling. I phoned him on the number he left and I spoke to him. He appeared very genuine and we invited him and his wife down after discussing the aspects of motorhoming.
They turned up, on time, and were very nice. I did repeat that although I wasn't selling, I'd be happy at them looking at it. It's really not uncommon for people to ask to see our Moho.
Anyway, a lovely night was had by all. We were away on holidays the next week or so but I got a text on our return.
It was the same couple who sourced the same make and model but different colour.
They also joined us at the Exsistravagansa where around 18 turned up in June.
I did carry out two or three checks about his authenticity before inviting them.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
have been asked about mine a couple of times in the past by people looking for a cheap pvc, and if they can find the keys to mine i'd be ever so grateful as most of the time i can't find where i've hidden them either..:whistle: :xwink:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I get it at least once a month. Tell them sorry but no. I am still waiting for the gearbox to come back.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Now that my van starts first turn of the key I sleep in it till I get the immobiliser sorted and if I am not in it he is Even I can't get in the drivers seats when the curtains are closed Bill
1502144319277364390728.jpg

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
If you are outside my house, you either should or should'nt be.

Young thug walks down the other day, I said can I help you?, Er no he said, I am looking for number 1. I said thats us how can I help ? (we are not number one :sneaky:). He then changed it to number one another street and said "thanks" and walked away. Found him hanging around later and when he saw me he was off.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Now that my van starts first turn of the key I sleep in it till I get the immobiliser sorted and if I am not in it he is Even I can't get in the drivers seats when the curtains are closed Bill View attachment 178748
fit a redneck immobiliser Bill. pull out the fuel pump relay until you fit a hidden kill switch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back