Has this ever happened to you? (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We drove to St Tropez in 1974 in an old Bedford ex Bakers Van. We kept getting punctures, so drove at night when it was cooler and we’re keeping our speed down (not sure why), and were pulled over by the gendarmes.

They berated us for driving too slowly and said either speed up or be removed from the road (at least that’s what we thought they had said)! :rofl:

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Was the NT property Tyntesfield House? We loved visiting there.

We have lived in and around Bristol all our lives, and we agree - the standard of driving here is very aggressive. I would say in defence though - the city is a nightmare to drive through, gridlocked for much of the time, the ring road is abysmal, absolutely not fit for purpose, and with no hope of any improvement, I can absolutely understand their frustrations.

Hope it didn’t spoil your visit though.

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Deleted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Silly old tablet!

We were coming back over the Woodhead Pass a few years ago following an old time "Sunday driver" at about 45mph. Two cars following decided that the naughty old motorhomer was holding them up so within the space of a mile they both overtook on double white lines. It was fun watching them as they realised there was a car in front of me

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I had similar some years back towing a caravan alongside Loch Ness. Long tail of frustrated drivers. Once the car in front pulled off I was able to pick up speed and the cars following fell back. Why are these slowcoaches always CSMA members in a Nissan Micra?

Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
Silly old tablet!

We were coming back over the Woodhead Pass a few years ago following an old time "Sunday driver" at about 45mph. Two cars following decided that the naughty old motorhomer was holding them up so within the space of a mile they both overtook on double white lines. It was fun watching them as they realised there was a car in front of me

Yep been there, had that in Suffolk earlier this year, I actually laughed out loud when the idiot realised there was a car in front of me AND a 7 tonner coming the other way

Slammed all on and pulled back in behind me and stayed there, good as gold, for the next 15 miles or so :roflmto:

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Was the NT property Tyntesfield House? We loved visiting there.

We have lived in and around Bristol all our lives, and we agree - the standard of driving here is very aggressive. I would say in defence though - the city is a nightmare to drive through, gridlocked for much of the time, the ring road is abysmal, absolutely not fit for purpose, and with no hope of any improvement, I can absolutely understand their frustrations.

Hope it didn’t spoil your visit though.

I agree - see this all the time. As soon as the locals leave the speed limit zones they boot it. There have been some bad single vehicle RTAs along the A4 Keynsham bypass. An almost straight dual carriageway where you might think it is difficult for a car to land on its roof but they somehow do.

The ring road has become a nightmare. We waste so much time crawling through the roadworks sections. Can add 30 minutes to journey times.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I agree - see this all the time. As soon as the locals leave the speed limit zones they boot it. There have been some bad single vehicle RTAs along the A4 Keynsham bypass. An almost straight dual carriageway where you might think it is difficult for a car to land on its roof but they somehow do.

The ring road has become a nightmare. We waste so much time crawling through the roadworks sections. Can add 30 minutes to journey times.
The ring road has been a nightmare since it opened! I think it’s because it’s run by the council and not the highways.

I always compare it to when we had a boat. The Cumberland basin lock which was run by the port authority- always efficient, always an easy passage through.

Whereas Princes Street Swing bridge, run by Bristol City Council - always a bloody nightmare to get through!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Immediately the vehicles overtook at speed, there were four of them, the first two working vans.
Did they stick to the speed limit for vans once past? They often don't hereabouts. Many times I've seen traffic doing 70 on the A19 and a transit (or similar) comes right up behind, pushing for vehicles to go faster or pull in.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Did they stick to the speed limit for vans once past? They often don't hereabouts. Many times I've seen traffic doing 70 on the A19 and a transit (or similar) comes right up behind, pushing for vehicles to go faster or pull in.
The speed limit for transits is 85 except on steep hills, sprinters are allowed to do 90 except in built up areas where they must keep below 50. Most trucks are limited to 56 but some can to do 57 and therefore must overtake whenever possible.🤷 Just my observations.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
They berated us for driving too slowly and said either speed up or be removed from the road (at least that’s what we thought they had said)! :rofl:
Don’t know if still true but back in 70s/80s you got fined if going too slow on autobahn in Germany ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When it happens to me I let people pass as soon as I can and think that maybe it is a medic on a call out or if a van they are going to an emergency. I would never consider slowing down even more just to annoy someone.

Coming over Soutra one night I was driving pretty much at the temporary speed limit (road works) when a tonk overtook me going like he was Lewis Hamilton. Less than a mile later he was by the side of the road being breathalysed. I have to admit to a smile at that point!

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
What about the ones that overtake you, thinking it’s your van that’s going slow, not realising that it’s the tractor in front of you going slow, then you have to brake to allow them back in to prevent any collisions with oncoming traffic. They really p..s me off

....or they're waiting at a side junction, see you coming and pull out in front of you, assuming they are gonna be held up by you, but end up driving slower than you were going ? :mad:

Not been out in ours that much and only picked it up last October, however, this is the most common thing I've noticed plus other road users doing the usual 40mph everywhere and once they are gone and I'm up to a safe speed, leaving the line of others way behind. I always tend to pull over when I can, just to show willing even if it's only two or three other vehicles behind. I've sensed a bit of frustration behind, especially when trying to push on uphill but nothing aggressive thus far 🤞

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Don’t know if still true but back in 70s/80s you got fined if going too slow on autobahn in Germany ?
I understand that there are a few roads with minimum speed limits in the UK.
None are motorways but if someone is driving slowly enough to cause a hazard the police can take action.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back