Has owning a Motorhome made you a better driver (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
In two years with a Motorhome I’ve nearly driven 30K miles, mostly in Europe and incident free.
In holiday mode dawdling along I’m always aware of my position on the road and that of others and trying to be considerate like going right round a roundabout to let a small que behind me pass or pulling over always helps.

Driving your pride and joy means you are probably more careful then say driving the car because it costs more or your in an other country and with some it’s their home.
In the Motorhome I’m more chilled then driving the car so probably forgive the plebs that normally wind me up otherwise.

I think I’ve become a better, more considerate, observant and carful driver......

I’ve also noticed the bad standard of driving in this country (uk) since driving the Motorhome, whilst in Europe I can happily doodle along and most cars are patient considerate and aware of the limitations of our vehicles but once back in the uk I’ve got some prat flashing his lights and tooting as he overtakes within 1/2hr off the ferry... motorway driving is all together another life..:eek:

On the whole it’s more of a pleasure driving in Europe whereas in the uk I seem to be on guard and expecting the worst of other drivers and usually not being disappointed.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I would generally agree with this, and certainly with the impatience and rudeness of UK drivers. Motorhomes seem to be a red rag to many. Often, it seems, young men in a small black hatchback. Ah well.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Can't agree....ive found Spanish drivers impatient and a pain in the ass frankly

Wont let you out , horn peeping, no indicators, dithering about , stopping in the middle of the road while they decide where they are going not caring if they are bringing the road to a standstill or not.
I managed to bump my van today because of others bad parking and impatient drivers behind me.

Passing a bike test made me a better driver
Driving my motor home just makes me notice how many Muppets there are on the roads

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Yes I think it has and I think MCLaren or Mercedes should be testing me for F1 next season frankly

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I’m a more observant passenger and always checking Robs driving !!!:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not sure, but I felt very satisfied on my way home tonight on the M3! Driving the car, spotted a car driver being a total dick! Motorhome pulled into middle lane to overtake, the car accelerated, motorhome pulled back to lane one. Watched the car driver do this 3 times. So I over took them both using lane 3, and then slowed to 50 in front of the car (motorhome already in middle lane again), let the motorhome pass me and then flashed lights for him to return to lane one.
If it was anyone on here, you're welcome! :D
I really hate drivers who won't let me overtake when I am in the van! GRRRR!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We’ve begun to admire truck drivers on narrow roads. We constantly check to make sure we’re not over the white line in the middle of the road.

One of the country roads near our home is particularly difficult for this as the road narrows in places and there’s an adverse camber... it requires a lot of concentration to keep between the lines. It’s made us realise how much concentration it must take to drive articulated lorries.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think that depends on your driving experience before motor homing.

If before you bought your motorhome you'd never driven anything bigger than a Mondeo then yes, the motor home probably does make you if not a better driver then certainly a more aware driver. That's once you've let go of the absurdity that a motorhome is impossible to drive without a bloody rear view camera of course :rolleyes:

If you've been used to driving large vehicles then you should already have the necessary skills so the motorhome wouldn't really make much difference.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We’ve begun to admire truck drivers on narrow roads. We constantly check to make sure we’re not over the white line in the middle of the road.

One of the country roads near our home is particularly difficult for this as the road narrows in places and there’s an adverse camber... it requires a lot of concentration to keep between the lines. It’s made us realise how much concentration it must take to drive articulated lorries.
Thing is I've noticed that if folk in a car see a lorry coming towards them on a narrow road they accommodate because they are intimidated by it's size.....they see a motor home and they think sod it that person's paid a lot of money for that so they will accommodate me being an idiot.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
like most people on here, I was taught how to pass a driving test. but then I was taught roadcraft by a police advanced driving instructor. I even went on to be taught how to drive a big vehicle correctly by a fire brigade instructor. believe me that any bad habits you fall into soon get corrected with professional instruction at that level

I wont say I am perfect these days, but I notice other peoples driving habits and remember my training

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Yes I think it has and I think MCLaren or Mercedes should be testing me for F1 next season frankly

Force India would be better, free beer(y)
21AFEB78-ED4D-4D4D-BC57-73D50276E747.jpeg

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
I'd say driving the motorhome has made me a more relaxed driver (not Road rage but I did used to creep over speed limits quite often)
Started motorhoming aged 34 and drove mainly hot hatches gti's,saxo,s and c2 vtrs
Hated it when drivers came racing up behind me so I used to just floor it but know I really love just sitting in lane 1 plodding along at 65 mumbling about some knob in lane 3 caning it
I also pull into laybys if I've got more than 6 cars behind me
I feel more relaxed on the weekends and when I'm back at work on Mondays

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I`ve said this before on here. But because of a complete "cock up" by the muppets at DVLA. I was forced to retake my LGV when I needed it for the last R-V. Went to "school" and did the whole bit. The guys where Brilliant, and I learned an awful lot and had some of my bad habits ironed out.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
On the whole it’s more of a pleasure driving in Europe whereas in the uk I seem to be on guard and expecting the worst of other drivers and usually not being disappointed.
I'm wondering if you have taken your van to Italy? ;)

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I'm always bemused when people "look up" to "police drivers". I've known two and the first was without doubt the worst driver I've ever experienced (granted that was 40 years ago, and he was retired - but still!). The second always preferred me to drive, saying he didn't really like driving!

Regarding the OP topic, I don't know if I'm any better since starting driving a MH. I felt that I was when driving my first one, but now feel that I've taken a retrograde step with my current one. First was a B640, RHD, Manual, current one is a B660, LHD, Auto. I've driven both extensively here and abroad, but somehow, I feel less comfortable in the B660. I wonder whether it's because I'm nervous that the current one cost over twice what I paid for the first? :rolleyes:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Driving articulated vehicles for years, since I was 21, I learnt to respect vehicles. Their sheer size, and weight taught me to drive with a lot more care and consideration.

No reverse camera, and 'budgie mirrors' made things hard work. Reversing something that bends in the middle is alien to begin with, then it becomes second nature. And stopping with 32 tons pushing you along takes a lot of thought and awareness.

No power clutch, no power steering, no heater, and one wiper that had a mind of its own, 6 speed crash box, along with the incessant drone from the grossly underpowered non turbo diesel engine with a top speed of 42mph made for a hard days graft.

Skills that would never leave me, and to which I am grateful for.

I progressed to a Volvo F10 which had the comfort and power to make life behind the wheel much more acceptable. Air conditioned, carpeted, almost silent, turbo powered unit, with 16 forward gears, and 4 reverse, it was a pleasure to go to work.

Driving all over Europe, and the Middle East, with millions of miles under my belt, I still love driving. And driving a MoHo/RV now, is a pleasure. The thing is, all MoHo's and RV's seem small to me.

Craig

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
When driving my car ( Mondeo ST estate - wife reluctant to drive it as “so big”) I find that I use the mirrors a lot more, especially on roundabouts. This is as a result of driving my 7m+ lhd Hymer.
Yes, I think my driving is better as a result of driving a m/h.
David.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We found Jersey tested my driving and patience to the limit. Lovely place but awful, narrow roads. There are lots of "H" cars driving the island. H really stands for Hire, but the locals call them HORROR cars. I would never take our moho there again, but would hire a horror.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
no not really i used to drive 44 ton artics and when i was in portugal last year in the van i wish i still had it the driving was criminal

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No,not really you are still surrounded by the same half-wits & for me now, in an underpowered & slower vehicle, I spend the vast majority of my time when travelling , watching the mirrors & having to do the thinking for the muppets behind. In the UK that becomes 99,5% of the time.:mad:
Can't agree....ive found Spanish drivers impatient and a pain in the ass frankly

Wont let you out , horn peeping, no indicators, dithering about , stopping in the middle of the road while they decide where they are going not caring if they are bringing the road to a standstill or not.
I managed to bump my van today because of others bad parking and impatient drivers behind me.

Passing a bike test made me a better driver
Driving my motor home just makes me notice how many Muppets there are on the roads

The French are far worse.
Everyone says about the horn beeping & yet around here I'm the only one likely to do it. :D
Here we have the added complication of the "vegetable watchers" both in car/van/moped travelling so slowly bikes cycle past while they gaze at how well/badly the lettuce/broccoli, alcochofa,caulis ,etc; are doing.:(
As to not letting you out that is normal & accepted by all. No idea why, drives me mad when in town.

Not sure, but I felt very satisfied on my way home tonight on the M3! Driving the car, spotted a car driver being a total dick! Motorhome pulled into middle lane to overtake, the car accelerated, motorhome pulled back to lane one. Watched the car driver do this 3 times. So I over took them both using lane 3, and then slowed to 50 in front of the car (motorhome already in middle lane again), let the motorhome pass me and then flashed lights for him to return to lane one.
If it was anyone on here, you're welcome! :D
I really hate drivers who won't let me overtake when I am in the van! GRRRR!
they made that illegal here , accelerating to close the gap.(y) I just pull in on anyone doing it to me. or ths spaniard who thinks he is going to undertake me on the slip road when I haven't been able to change lanes.

Thing is I've noticed that if folk in a car see a lorry coming towards them on a narrow road they accommodate because they are intimidated by it's size.....they see a motor home and they think sod it that person's paid a lot of money for that so they will accommodate me being an idiot.
You need to "command the road" as @JockandRita says. Itis no good trying to move as close to the nearside as possible , whether here or the UK, as what is approaching you is driven by a plank that has nounderstanding & will sail merrily along with a space on their insdie you can cycle through. Stay over & force them into the hedge. The really bad ones that should never be driving will actually stop as they cannot comprehend that you can actually travel without a 2'-3' space on the inside.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp

On narrow and empty back country roads, don't feel that you need to stay your side of centre if you can see there's nothing coming the other way. Don't crash through the gutters and potholes and fight the camber if you don't have to.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I find the main benefit is the greater vision from above most of the traffic. I never get irritated when driving my m/h and if anyone tries to hassle me I just smile smugly to myself and think: "Poor sod, having to tear around like that with the stress of needing to get somewhere 'important' when I'll shortly be spending the night anywhere I fancy beside some limpid river with a glass of St Emilion............and the same again tomorrow".
When I took some Australian visitors out they found it highly amusing that I and other drivers stopped or held back to let others out into the slow moving or queue of traffic.
I often tour by motorbike around Europe which really hones awareness and defensive driving!

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
No, we wouldn't bother if the road was empty but the road I mentioned, although rural, is very busy with HGV lorries, coaches, etc. Its often closed because of accidents. Pretty much nowhere in the south of England is empty... its getting ridiculous here.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
No, we wouldn't bother if the road was empty but the road I mentioned, although rural, is very busy with HGV lorries, coaches, etc. Its often closed because of accidents. Pretty much nowhere in the south of England is empty... its getting ridiculous here.
We notice how quiet home is, after heading south to places like Cornwall and Devon. Where is home? If I tell you it won't be quite so quiet, but it's north of Norwich.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
well, having sold the skyline:cry: now driving a bmw:D...........gets worse lol

i have discovered a few things...

1. as i drive a bmw, by default, the outside lane is still mine.
2. its more of a challenge drifting a motorhome than the skyline or bmw
3. i now have a bigger vehicle in which to intimidate oncoming drivers.

so yes,owning the motorhome has definitely improved my driving........

:D:D:D(y):whistle::sneaky::confused:o_O

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
"Command the road" was drummed into us (re) learning to drive LGV`s. I use it all the time. even in SWMBO`s Motor.! I`ve driven virtually all over the world. Brit, motorway drivers are probably as bad as you get!. They dont seem to "get" the idea that the nearside lanes are for slower traffic.?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back