Has Jim been tinkering with the Forum software (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@Jim Have you been tinkering, the last couple of days I no longer get the pop up window when I hover over a thread title & when hovering over the Alerts button I don't get the drop down box, have to click on alerts now.

Using Firefox on Win 10.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I said this a week or so ago and then remembered I'd resized the browser window smaller and that cocked up all the menus. The alart button even vanished.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I too am on Firefox Win 10 but while it does delay occasionally, probably BB speed, I do get the drop down menu.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
@Jim Have you been tinkering, the last couple of days I no longer get the pop up window when I hover over a thread title & when hovering over the Alerts button I don't get the drop down box, have to click on alerts now.

Using Firefox on Win 10.

"Nuffin to do wiv me Guv".

Sound like local browser issue, try clearing your cache, or using another browser and see if it works then (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just check on 100%.

Perfect here with FF but under Linux, which should not make any difference.

I have a pretty wide screen and if the browser is full width I find the long lines hard to follow so usually keep it about 2/3rds width,

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
same issue here with Firefox but under windows 7, sounds like and issue with Firefox may be an update (cant remember when i updated firefox). Works ok in IE11 same computer.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Perfect here with FF but under Linux, which should not make any difference.

I have a pretty wide screen and if the browser is full width I find the long lines hard to follow so usually keep it about 2/3rds width,
I have a 24" wide screen I got used to it but I know what you mean.

same issue here with Firefox but under windows 7, sounds like and issue with Firefox may be an update (cant remember when i updated firefox). Works ok in IE11 same computer.
Not been an update on Firefox for a while and it's the same on MS Edge.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Fix that just worked for me below (copied from another site but tested on my windows 7 AIO desktop computer Tocuh screen).

disable Firefox from telling websites that you have a touchscreen, you can make a change to a hidden setting.

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste touch and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the dom.w3c_touch_events.enabled preference and change the value to 0 (that's a zero) and click OK. Here are the options for this setting:

• 0 = disabled
  • 1 = enabled
  • 2 = auto-detect (default)
Once complete reload the page using Ctrl + Shift + R

This is just for firefox, i have no idea why it chose now to stop working as been using the same computer for years with no change. Bizarre.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Gee-Wiz. I've been using FF since V1 and never seen that before. That's an exciting place to be.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Fix that just worked for me below (copied from another site but tested on my windows 7 AIO desktop computer Tocuh screen).

disable Firefox from telling websites that you have a touchscreen, you can make a change to a hidden setting.

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste touch and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click the dom.w3c_touch_events.enabled preference and change the value to 0 (that's a zero) and click OK. Here are the options for this setting:

• 0 = disabled
  • 1 = enabled
  • 2 = auto-detect (default)
Once complete reload the page using Ctrl + Shift + R

This is just for firefox, i have no idea why it chose now to stop working as been using the same computer for years with no change. Bizarre.
Thaks worked a treat and touch screen still works in Firefox on my laptop.
Gee-Wiz. I've been using FF since V1 and never seen that before. That's an exciting place to be.
You live a sheltered life Brian.

You can do a lot of damage in there though ;)
Nothing like living dangerously.

Reactions: zac
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is what happens when the OS manufacturers think it is a good idea to combine a mobile OS with a Desktop OS.
They start including touch capability to devices which can also use a mouse.

If you have a mouse, you can hover. If you have touch you can't.

Browsers can get confused if you have both. One will take priority.
If the touch screen has priority mouse hover won't work.
So as @zac says you have to either tell the browser to ignore touch events, so that it only looks at the mouse even stream.
Or tell your OS, to prioritise mouse over touch. I don't know how you do this in W10.

The same issues happened in Ubuntu when they decided to go for a so called unified experience.

I hate these smart arses who think unified is always good.

Reactions: zac

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back