Has Dartford tunnel charges doubled? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have just booked a Dartford crossing and it states £2.50 each way?Last year I paid £2.50 total and after a lot of hasle when I returned (they said I had not paid ) I had printed receipts to proove.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I prepaid for the bridge crossing, going to London last week and paid £2.50, but it's a year or so since I last used the crossing and can't remember what it was then.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's always been £2.50 each way unless you have an account in which case it's £1.67.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We've always paid £2.50 per crossing. However, depending on the time of night, each way can be free.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
If you travelled over it between 10pm - 6am it was free. It's been £2.50 per crossing for a long time.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Last time I went think there was a min £5 payment to be made if paying in advance. This suited me as the other £2.50 stayed on account till we came back and covered the return crossing. Only been once since the system changed from toll booths.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It's £2.50 each way, if you open an account and lodge £10, it's £1.67 even for a large motorhome.
You can add or delete family easily.
However, you do need to use at least once per year to keep your credit.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I paid £2.50 last year for return crossing.

It's never been possible to pay for a "return crossing" so you didn't. There's no such thing (y)

The system only recognises individual crossings and it's never been any different.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We prepaid £1.67 for our crossing on May 2nd. Great value IMO.

In comparison, a couple of years ago we went through the Westerschelde Tunnel in the Netherlands and it was something like €18.5, so the Dartford charge is brilliant in comparison for our same vehicle.
When you go through the Westerschelde, you eventually reach the toll booths on the north side, which are about three miles further on after you have exited the tunnel. Despite our protestations with the female clerk that we were a camper van she relieved us of €18.5.
It seems there are cameras and auto weighing facilities which calculate your fee based on the vehicles size/weight, despite a sign showing a camper van and car costing €5 as you approach the tunnel from the south side.

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I just looked on the web site for that tunnel and it goes entirely by the szie and not the category. five euro under 6 meters long . Car and caravan 7.45 euro under 6 meters plus 3 for the trailer. 18.20 euro over 6 metres and /or over 3 metres high . and an artic is 25 euro. motorbike 2.5 euro
So your is almost certainly over 3 metres high and over 6 long.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
It's £2.50 each way, if you open an account and lodge £10, it's £1.67 even for a large motorhome.
You can add or delete family easily.
However, you do need to use at least once per year to keep your credit.
Not sure about the credit being deleted if not used in 12 mth period ,, I used it 2 years ago and deposited £10 and it still has £6.66 showing as a credit ?

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Not sure about the credit being deleted if not used in 12 mth period ,, I used it 2 years ago and deposited £10 and it still has £6.66 showing as a credit ?

Be very careful. I had £8+ credit, unused for 14 months, made a crossing, assumed would be taken from my balance - some weeks later I received a charge notice (or whatever they're called) for not paying for the crossing within the prescribed time. It took months to get it sorted but eventually got my "fine" returned.

Somewhere in the fine print.......... there are situations where they automatically make the account "inactive", possibly regardless of what the balance is.

Last edited:

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Be very careful. I had £8+ credit, unused for 14 months, made a crossing, assumed would be taken from my balance - some weeks later I received a charge notice (or whatever they're called) for not paying for the crossing within the prescribed time. It took months to get it sorted but eventually got my "fine" returned.

Somewhere in the fine print.......... there are situations where they automatically make the account "inactive"
Thanks for that ,, we will be using next month that is why I looked ,, I'll have a look around the site to make sure it stays live ,, we are going away for 5 weeks and don't want to come home to a large fine

Again thanks

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp

Somewhere in the fine print.......... there are situations where they automatically make the account "inactive", possibly regardless of what the balance is.
You could be right just read the following in there T & C's

10. Inactive Accounts

If you do not use your Account for a period of more than 12 consecutive months then we will write to you to inform you of your non-use (the Non-use Letter) and if you do not recommence using the Account within 30 days of the date of the Non-use Letter, we may close your Account and cancel any Tag linked to your Account

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back