Has anyone visited a Caravan and Motorhome Club Site recently? (1 Viewer)

The Welsh Wizard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
My son, his wife and 3 kids arrived at a Site (will remain nameless for the moment) in Cornwall which is a CAMC site to find that the only pitch that they could use on arrival was right next to a Service point and the bins. A member who was pitched opposite told him that the wardens had placed the white peg there this morning. The pitch itself is very small and although my son had booked it many months ago he complained to the Wardens who basically told him to get lost. I’ve checked the site details on tge CAMC website and it states that they have 88 pitches. The site map which can be downloaded in pdf shows 103 pitches and my son has confirmed this. The CAMC claims to be a members club which is a load of tosh. All they are interested in is making more and more money which can be evidenced by the fact that they now allow non members to book up to 12 months in advance and the only difference between member and non member us the nightly fee. Like everywhere else they seem to want to rip the punter off to cover for COVID.
I for one will not be renewing my membership next year and I hope many others will take the same stance.
question is if there are 103 pitches when there should only be 88 who is profiteering and are the local authorities aware of it. I’d be interested to see the responses ?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

as reimbursement for the enforced closure of there sites
But when
Neil S They never offered or gave me anything except asking us to leave Chatsworth Club site at lockdown in March 2020. Was there any criteria to receive them do you know. Regards Roy
those who’s renewal date was approaching in Feb, were offered the free vouchers to renew, if they were showing any sign of waivering . There was no hard and fast rule on who actually got them I think it was those who were quick off the mark and vocal. By the end of Feb, the customer service manager was saying they were nit giving them out.
No chance of any now, they standard response us by being a member you can save a fortune in the online shop.
I complained about their uneven handedness and lies from some members of staff in the customer service department but it appears that they do not have a proper complaints handling procedure as they did not respond or take any further action.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
We stayed at Wharfedale CMC and then moved down to Brecon Beacons CMC, leaving tomorrow, both sites full and fortunately we got good pitches. Obviously down to when you arrive and what is left. Staff excellent and both sites very clean, especially when so busy. Have had a good time on both, we think for a reasonable price.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Not a big fan. To us they are just glorified parking spaces in a characterless over cultivated area. Remind me of military airfield dispersal areas.

Stayed on one site with the usual peg police who wanted me to move over regardless of the fact that I'd be less than 6 metres from the caravan on our left and 9 metres from the caravan on my right. Wouldn't have it that the red piece of wood was in the wrong place and I was around 7m from each van as I was. ( yes, being a cantankerous sod at times I measured it!)

I took photo's and wrote to them naming the particular leisure publication I worked for at the time. They sent an apology and offered a complimentary 1 years membership... which I turned down.

Just been to the Lochranza site on Arran where for £30 a night they basically wanted me to park up in a glorified carparking space as they said 'that's usually what the motorhomers want and we want to keep the grassed pitches for tents.'

They then put two caravans on the grass pitches. Suffice to say the apprentice scouse welder reappeared and we've spent an enjoyable week on a grass pitch.

If site owners try it on and get away with it it'll just get worse.
Is that Private site on Arran

Upvote 0
Jun 19, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Expedition 66
Exp
Nee
I stayed on one of their sites in Devon in June (my 1st trip). It was pretty busy with just a couple of empty spaces. I was quite impressed with the wardens, facilities and the cleanliness but it was a little bit like being on a housing estate. I much preferred the CL I stayed on for 1 night. Half a field shared with 2 caravans and sheep in the other half 🐑

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well, I for one am pleased with the actions C&MC took in respect of Covid and, no I didn't get a "free nights voucher". Didn't even ask for one following the furore on other threads on here! As the saying goes " **** happens but life moves on".
The discount vouchers saved us a number of years membership fees, a significant amount more than C&CC's paltry offer.

Upvote 0

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
We are new to this and have been to three different sites. It strikes me that what one person sees as a bad pitch another may view it differently. The New England Bay CAMC site was pretty full when we arrived and decided to park next to the facilities block. And you know what, I would use that pitch again. Horses for courses. But understandable if you wish for ying and you get yang, thats bad news, annoying and upsetting.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
No idea but are all camc sites owned by them or are some private sites under their umbrella ?
Sites managed by the CMC can be very different from their own. On many site maintenance and provision and standard of facilities has nothing to do with the CMC.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you want a better choice arrive sooner rather than later when there could be only one pitch still available.

Edit - on affiliated sites you may be allocated a pitch therefore deprived of choice. Our experience is that PVCs can be treated less favourably than other outfits e.g. furthest pitch away from the facilities block despite other pitches being empty nearby.

We have been on CMC sites where there is the odd pitch in a corner that seems to be the runt of the litter so to speak.

Never had any issues with CMC wardens. I'm always friendly and polite to them and they respond in kind and try to be helpful.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The only C&MC site in Cornwall I can see with 88 pitches is St. Agnes and the PDF plan also shows the same number
Which site is it ?
St Agnes site plan shows 103 pitches but description shows 88. Think the issue is there are 88 awning pitches and 15 non-awning pitches so the description seems to be showing the "awning" only number.

Upvote 0

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Going to West Runton CAMC in a couple of weeks, I’ll be getting there early and parking close by ready for checking in at the earliest possible time to avoid having to look too hard for a good pitch.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back