Has anyone used one of these in their van? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
My old Mum was fixated on her old Prestige pressure cooker. Used to have to add water, though.

It was good, although steamed, therefore a distinctive "wet" cooking. They cost around £31 at Broken Link Removed

Pressure King Pro around £49 at Broken Link Removed

Not sure that over complicating an old concept really makes sense. You needed to replace gaskets every so often with the Prestige one. Will they still be available for this Pressure King Pro effort in 12 months time? The other thing is that the Prestige one works on gas, so you can take it in the M/H

Be interested to hear a first hand opinion

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Not sure that over complicating an old concept really makes sense.
Think it's called progress. What I love about it is the facility to have the cooking time delayed automatically so that it's ready when you return. It also keeps it warm until you're ready for it. There's lots of useful videos on YOUTUBE

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Think it's called progress. What I love about it is the facility to have the cooking time delayed automatically so that it's ready when you return. It also keeps it warm until you're ready for it. There's lots of useful videos on YOUTUBE
You can delay anything, just put a timer plug on it.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
That's a useful function.
You can delay anything, just put a timer plug on it.:)
True, but the Prestige version is gas

Looks a bit fragile to me, but it would be good to get a user perspective here (don't trust half the YouTube endorsements)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't think I'd want to lug it around in a MH/camper unless I was gonna use it daily as its a big bit or kit and obviously needs electric to run. I can see the appeal, eg if you're out all day and just want something to come back in to but you've got to account for the fact that you've got to 'load it up' before you go out which means prepping the food first.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I've had an electric pressure cooker for a few years now (mine's an Instant Pot) - absolutely love it and use it at least once a week (usually more). Probably the best bit of kitchen kit I've ever bought. I used to have an old stove top pressure cooker....which was fine but the electric one is so much easier to use and doubles up as a slow cooker and rice cooker too.

I have thought about taking it away in the MH, but its pretty big and we tend to eat simply when we're away so its not worth the space to me. But if you're the sort of person who would normally use a slow cooker when you're away, then yes give it a go. In terms of electricity consumption (in case you're running it off an inverter), I understand that pressure cookers use less electricity in total than a slow cooker to cook the same dish....though I've not been able to find any definitive proof of that.

My old Mum was fixated on her old Prestige pressure cooker. Used to have to add water, though.
They still need around a cup of liquid to reach pressure - though she didn't specifically add water in the video she did use a lot of fresh tomatoes which will provide the necessary liquid.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use either a 3ltr or 4 ltr pressure cooker in the camper .
cooks chicken etc easily . amost could say i use it nearly every day.
i do have a small 1.5kg one as well for those one person meals .
mine is used on the gas. but cook chicken then 1/4 it and slip under the grill to brown it off .
plus great for gammon joints only takes 30 minutes .

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Looks good but not for me for no other reason than I've enough cookers already - single induction hob with timers, Mr D's (love that it's cooking without power whilst we're out), Double skillet and all in addition to the combi micro/oven and gas hob.

The one cooker that I'm still considering is the Remoska and either lotus grill or cobb

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looks good but not for me for no other reason than I've enough cookers already - single induction hob with timers, Mr D's (love that it's cooking without power whilst we're out), Double skillet and all in addition to the combi micro/oven and gas hob.

The one cooker that I'm still considering is the Remoska and either lotus grill or cobb
Can highly recommend the Remoska ... you wouldn't think that a simple pan with an electric element above it could cook stuff ... but it does brilliantly.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
The Pressure King pro 12 in 1 has a lot of negative comments on the Amazon reviews. Seems very unreliable. Lots seem to break within a month or two.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I have a pressure king pro on the recommendation of @cliffandger ..

Its great, so good I bought my daughter one.

I wouldn't use it in the moho as it's big but last Saturday night was a prime example, kids over unexpectedly...20 mins later I've got a huge vat of chicken curry. In fact the curry was ready before the rice!

I use mine at least once a week, got it from argos so I'm not worried about it braking.

I too have memories of 1970s pressure cookers, hissing and steaming away always seem fraught with danger!

This is so easy..love it...almost as much as my Mr Ds which I do take away in the van.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
looks bulky,never been keen on a pressure cooker, think a remoska on a timer would be a good way to go and more versatile, can you cook a pizza in the pressure king pro?

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Well we bought one and we love it. You can cook a whole chicken or a sausage casserole or chilli concarne in under 17 minutes. Great little gadget, wouldn't be without it. Nothing like the old hissing scary pressure cookers:Eeek: that sat on your stove. Easy to clean and not too big or heavy(y)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Wouldn't trust a pressure cooker in a mh. I've purchased a Remoska, it's ace, can't think why I've never bought it before, think it was the price, but well worth it. Makes great crumbles as well.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Stewed meat! Yuk, my mother, may she rest in peace, used to save time by using one of those hissy fit things from yesteryear, destroyed any flavour on anything she cooked with the thing, I have a phobia about them and buy good steak!!
I'm sure there are some excellent pressure cooker cooks on here, but not for me ta, mushy cabbage, leaden liver, crusified carrots and mulched meat, ooh er Mrs!:(

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Stewed meat! Yuk, my mother, may she rest in peace, used to save time by using one of those hissy fit things from yesteryear, destroyed any flavour on anything she cooked with the thing, I have a phobia about them and buy good steak!!
I'm sure there are some excellent pressure cooker cooks on here, but not for me ta, mushy cabbage, leaden liver, crusified carrots and mulched meat, ooh er Mrs!:(
We bought one - absolutely brilliant, they've come along way from the hissing monster that sat on the hob, scaring the living daylights out of me as a kid.... ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
In your Mum's days they used to overcook loads of stuff in pressure cookers 'just to be safe'! Nowadays they are much more refined and we wouldn't be without ours at home and in the camper.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
In your Mum's days they used to overcook loads of stuff in pressure cookers 'just to be safe'! Nowadays they are much more refined and we wouldn't be without ours at home and in the camper.

I suppose they just take the slow out of slow cooker, I enjoy a stew cooked in a slow cooker so if you know how to use a pc it must be pretty similar.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I suppose they just take the slow out of slow cooker, I enjoy a stew cooked in a slow cooker so if you know how to use a pc it must be pretty similar.
You can cook so much more in a pressure cooker than just stew.....I use mine weekly but we hardly ever have stew. ;)
Pressure cookers are great for cooking whole joints of meat - particularly those that you'd normally need to braise for hours (for example I make my own corned beef). Other regular meals are spare ribs, gammon joints, pulled pork/beef/lamb (with various flavourings: american, south american, asian). I also use mine for spag bol, chilli con carne and curry (though I prefer to slow cook those if I have time as the flavours have more time to mingle together).
Beans and pulses cook are where the pressure cooker really excels....they cook in minutes rather than hours, veg can be steamed very quickly and soup takes almost no time. Rice comes out perfectly cooked every time, you can even do risotto and paella.
And that's not to mention puddings like rice pudding and cheesecake. I even use mine for boiled eggs (its no quicker than boiling them conventionally, but they peel much more easily).

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I bought one of these:
Bella Multi-Function Electric 6 Litre Pressure and Slow Cooker
as it was a bit cheaper than the Pressure King and had better reviews. Great piece of equipment. Haven't used it in the MH as we normally wild camp, but I do use it every week at home. As already been mentioned you can cook loads of things in it in a quarter of the time. and not just stews etc. I enjoy using it. They are very safe not like the old gas Prestige one my mother used to have. And they don't seem to steam the house up like the old ones. I did look to get a small one I can use on gas for the MH but haven't got round to it yet.

OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
We've had ours for a year now, gets used at least twice a week and it's still going strong. My daughter and son have been so impressed by it that they have gone and bought their own. Can't fault it.
Don't get our first van until June so we'll maybe try it in the van once we get the hang of living in a van(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back