Has anyone updated the front end of a fiat ducato 2003? (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
hi, we love our 2003 van but the front end 'dates' it - and I wondered if it was possible to replace the front end with a newer front end with new panels, bumper bonnet etc to take it out of the prehistoric period ? has anyone done it or is it just not possible without major alterations to the structure/frame?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would leave it alone ... at some point in the future you'll no doubt want to sell it and it could seriously affect the resale value in a bad way. Additionally it could affect your insurance as it would then be a modified base vehicle.

You could add some kit to it though, keeping the original panels etc, but pimping it (eg vinyl wrap the bonnet etc) and so long as you don't go mad and make it look like Snoop Dog owns it, it shouldn't affect resale or insurance.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
if its only bolt on panels (which I seriously doubt, but hopefully wish) I would be surprised if it would affect the insurance that much, but it would make sense to make sure first of course. not really looking to pimp it up, just change the front so it doesn't look as 'boxy' - I actually don't think there will be an easy solution, but just I case there is ....... and I suspect that if it could be done at a reasonable cost then I wouldn't be alone in being tempted.

I am not so sure the resale value would be affected that much if at all, the van would look newer that's all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure about insurance as you would be changing it from the original structure - if you had a bash it would possibly be harder to find somewhere that could put it back into the 'modified' state, rather than the original, especially as the modified panels would likely cost more than bog-standard panels, so this could affect your premium and subsequently any future owner's too which could put them off ... personally if I was buying a vehicle of a certain age I'd expect it to have the 'look' of that age (minor tweaks accepted) otherwise I 'might' suspect it NEEDED a face-lift for some other reason than just cosmetics.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I'm guessing the total cost of replacing front end would be close to the cost of upgrading to a 2007> vehicle??

Bumper, grill, badges, headlights, indicators, front wings, bonnet, new connectors for lights, relocation or modification of fuel filler.
Maybe new scuttle, wipers, wheel arch liners, potential mods in engine bay, the list goes on....

untitled.png
untitled1.png

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You need the doors too along with the side moldings:doh:
also bonnet wont fit old windscreen and windscreen wont fit Pillars
Me thinks its a NO then

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm guessing the total cost of replacing front end would be close to the cost of upgrading to a 2007> vehicle??

Bumper, grill, badges, headlights, indicators, front wings, bonnet, new connectors for lights, relocation or modification of fuel filler.
Maybe new scuttle, wipers, wheel arch liners, potential mods in engine bay, the list goes on....

View attachment 279812 View attachment 279813
If these two pictures indicate the differences then from what's visible no individual parts are interchangeable - you're looking at the whole cab: as well as the items listed in the post I've quoted the windscreen, A posts, and doors are different.

Edit: @Geo beat me to it.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
looks like its a NO then lol, thanks for the responses - it looks to be far too expensive to justify it and as said, better to spend the money on a newer van (or more trips away lol)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the x250 was totally different to the preceding models so no i know you can do it with some transits but not with fiats

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
How about some funky graphics on the bonnet, or some subtle go faster stripes?

It's a simple way to personalise a vehicle & easy to remove when it comes to selling it.

That said, when I sold my last van, I offered to remove the paragliding, isle of man tt & 'animal' graphics, but the middle aged couple who bought it, said they preferred to keep them on!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If these two pictures indicate the differences then from what's visible no individual parts are interchangeable - you're looking at the whole cab: as well as the items listed in the post I've quoted the windscreen, A posts, and doors are different.

Edit: @Geo beat me to it.
Do not think the two vans share a body panel and floor pan is different,,BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
looks like its a NO then lol, thanks for the responses - it looks to be far too expensive to justify it and as said, better to spend the money on a newer van (or more trips away lol)
More trips away if there is nothing wrong with your present van,,BUSBY,,

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
I think if you dont like your current vans boxy look, your cheapest AND easiest option would be to part exchange it for the newer model. The difference in cost between the two would be about the same as modifications but without ANY of the hassle factor.
But as has been said already, nowt wrong with the 2003 Ducato's looks *May be biased

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I changed mu/y motorhome in the end !!! I just need to update profile picture

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back