Has anyone stopped at Cite Europe recently (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Screenshot_20170929-053116.png
new secure aire at calais

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We were there on Monday night - the following morning we unexpected met up with Trixie, Cal54 etc which was nice! Told them the quick route to get to ET rather than the scenic one which once took us into the truck bit!!!

CE is great for a stop over, very clean, level and never had any issues there in the numerous times we've used it over the years. Can't be beaten for being able to stay in bed for as long as possible before getting up to go round to ET, less than 10 mins travel! We were up early though so went round to see if we could get on an earlier crossing instead of our 9.20 am one and just managed to get on the 8.20 am ... no waiting, other than the usual passport, gas etc checks ... we just sailed through as everyone else was already on board and we were the last! Back in the UK before we should even have departed ... great stuff! (y)

We have used Wissant and other aires before but if you have a morning crossing to the UK or a night one from the UK you can't beat CT in my book.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Was there last week, never really felt safe or liked Gravelines that much to be honest and thought we would try CityEurope as heard about it off Fun, much better in my opinion, more Motorhomers about there and very well lit up at night - bit like a football stadiums floodlights - Free, and 5 minutes drive back to the tunnel, no sign of any migrants (have not read all the above threads so dont know if this was the concern or not)... It will be our port of call i think from now on when heading back, much prefer it to Gravelines.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Looks like I'm the only one to witness someone lurking around the only coach parked there a couple of weeks ago. He was actually underneath it but scarpered pretty quickly when a security bloke shouted at him. Bet he'd have been sick if it had taken him in a southernly direction!
Judging by all the posts it was an isolated incident and when we girls sat out in the sun when we first started our trip the police drove around waving and smiling at us!
On the way home it's ideal for stocking up on the wine and cheese from Carrefour!
Would definitely stay again.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Got help any one who breaks into the white transit van by us tonight, it's the security guards with three rather large Alsatian in it! They must do shifts or something.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
We were there on Monday night - the following morning we unexpected met up with Trixie, Cal54 etc which was nice! Told them the quick route to get to ET rather than the scenic one which once took us into the truck bit!!!

Someone mentioned the quick route from the tunnel to Cite Europe, but is there another in reverse?

I always end up going back to the motorway

Andrew

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
There used to be on the road out where Lidl is but is closed recently I think it was the overflow area. Turn left out of the Aire, left at the roundabout right at the next by the control centre and then right into the motorway and the. Exit exit takes you back in to the tunnel.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Cite Europe is just a well-lit car park. Plenty of level space, and you should feel safe. Never been the only one there this time of year (probably 20 or so vans last week). Carrefour prices seemed to have crept upwards this year, though. There's a good route on U-tube from the Chunnel (take a right turn after going through the security fencing). Satnavs seem to prefer a longer route.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
There are numerous eating establishments in Cite D'Europe. Theres even a chinese where all the food is heated up in a bank of microwaves behind the counter. Food not bad and reasonable prices.
We've recently eaten a couple of times at Le Comptoir du Malt at the far end on the ground floor. Reasonable food but a bit pricier.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Route from Cite Europe parking to Eurotunnel:

upload_2017-9-29_23-47-48.png

upload_2017-9-29_23-48-28.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If anyone is at Cite Europe and they have some time to spare would they mind having a shuftie at the exit from near the new Pet Passport centre out into CE's back road and seeing if it is possible to actually go INTO the ET Pet Passport road - we didn't have time to look when we were there but it would be useful to know as there'd then be no need to have a tour round the CE site/A16 to get to ET!

CE pet passport.PNG

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If anyone is at Cite Europe and they have some time to spare would they mind having a shuftie at the exit from near the new Pet Passport centre out into CE's back road and seeing if it is possible to actually go INTO the ET Pet Passport road - we didn't have time to look when we were there but it would be useful to know as there'd then be no need to have a tour round the CE site/A16 to get to ET!

View attachment 189254
I am not sure, but I think that it was gated. Was there last week.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I am not sure, but I think that it was gated. Was there last week.
There is a 'gate' on the gap in the fence but it is left open as it's an official 'exit' from ET for those who can't/don't want to go ahead on a crossing, so I'm assuming it's left open most of the time as you wouldn't be able to get into the actual port area as the check-ins are after that.

What I can't tell for sure from Google maps/streetview is if the road leading to it is restricted or not as the maps are a few years old and things may have changed.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993

View attachment 189254
No it's not! Got looked at rather sternly its a staff entrance with security barriers and card access!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No it's not! Got looked at rather sternly its a staff entrance with security barriers and card access!
Don't know when that was but when we were there on Tuesday morning at the Pet Passport centre I actually walked THROUGH the fence entrance itself, nothing to stop me or a car, no checks, no people, nothing ... this is the entrance BEFORE you go to the check-in etc so you're not yet into the 'secure' area - are you mixing it up with the one that you can use AFTER the checking as that does have security on it or is it a while since you've been?

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This is what it was like previously with the barrier which you can see on the left side of the picture:

CE pet passport 2.PNG

But the barrier has gone now and it looks like this with just a large 'green' sliding gate which is left open:

CE pet passport 0.PNG

CE pet passport 1.PNG

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I could be wrong, I often am, but from memory a couple of weeks ago if you pull out of the pet passport area the road sign straight ahead of you says left grand Bretagne right city Europe.

Two way arrows
IMG_0276.PNG

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I could be wrong, I often am, but from memory a couple of weeks ago if you pull out of the pet passport area the road sign straight ahead of you says left grand Bretagne right city Europe.

Two way arrows
Yes the road to/from the pet passport area is now 2-way otherwise you couldn't go back to the check-in area once you've sorted out your pets (not one way as it shows on the old view), but it's the bit FROM Cite Europe's road into the PP road that I'm interested in ... I can't see any reason why you can't now go IN though that gate instead of having the 'motorway' tour to get to check-in.

If no one can have a shuftie I'll have to drop ET a line and see what they say ... after all, if we could go in that way it would mean a few more mins in bed! :D2

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I know we all like a short cut but after driving a couple of thousand miles all round France it is only a few minutes/km from Cite Europe to the tunnel check in vie the A16. Not worth the bother of trying to save half a minute imho. ;)

Richard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know we all like a short cut but after driving a couple of thousand miles all round France it is only a few minutes/km from Cite Europe to the tunnel check in vie the A16. Not worth the bother of trying to save half a minute imho. ;)

Richard.
... but no point in having a 'tour' round if you don't need to especially when you've got 3 dogs to check in first.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Did see a big green gate by the pet passport place but it was shut.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back