Has anyone stayed at Hondaribia aire lately? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I've been told that the aire by the marina had been closed but its still there on camper Contact albeit with no reviews and no photos. Has anyone been there this summer?

Jon

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Nothing was signposted last time we were there (2 years) and there were no vans on the marina car park.
We had a quiet night at the one at the top and a good walk around the woods and fort. It is a long trek to town from there tho!
We were going to use it tomorrow but decided to go over the top a few miles inland. We are at St Paul les Dax in the woods and by a lake (highly recommended but get here early!) and are making our way towards Pamplona over a few days via Espelette (France) and Oieregi (Spain) for a change.

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
The marina / port car parks have had 'no Motorhomes overnight' for at least lady 12 months. We were there last year, and it did not appear to be enforced though.

We stayed up in the fort for one night, free camped on road side for a night, spending the days at the marina.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi,

We 'tried' to stay at Honda at the beginning of Nov. 2106 but THAT sign was there and, despite assurances from Garda Civil bobbies, we declined and went further along the coast.

HOWEVER

At the end of the holiday at the beginning of Feb this year, we returned to Honda and found that the sign had been removed and we stayed, in company with a load of other 'vans on the Marina Car Park.

Knowing the Spanish, someone at the Town Hall put up the sign without the necessary permissions, got his Harris slapped (Lucky) and was made to take down the offending (well, it offended me) sign.
OR

The sign is supposed to be seasonal and someone 'forgot' to take the sign down.

I like Hondarabbia and I get the feeling that the City Fathers are of the type that, providing us Motorhomers don't take over, they have no objection in principle to us turning up. They are very proactive is encouraging visitors to the town.

I would say though in their defence that I can see their point of view. The Motorhomers that were there in February were parking up on every other car parking space. Whilst that was good for privacy, it tended to take up more space in the car park than the Authorities would like.

What I would like to see is part of the car park, which for the people who have not visited, is HUGE!!! for part of the car park to be marked out for 'vans. Bigger spaces, Yes but not as big as occupying every other pitch. That would allow cars to park with cars and a place for us. No facilities is fine but the last thing I want is to lose this free car park.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can I 'Bump' this thread please.

Has anybody visited 'Honda' recently?
I ask in anticipation of a visit.

Cheers to all readers.

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
We were at Hondarribia 3 weeks ago. The whole area around the port is now covered by signs saying vehicle over 5.5m long or 2m high prohibited. The ‘no motorhome’ signs have been removed.

We ended up staying up at the fort for the night

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Nigel and Debbie,

Thank you very much for your response.
Saves me from going 'around the corner' to spend the night.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We were at Hondarribia 3 weeks ago. The whole area around the port is now covered by signs saying vehicle over 5.5m long or 2m high prohibited. The ‘no motorhome’ signs have been removed.

We ended up staying up at the fort for the night
any details of where the fort is should be that way quite soon and always looking for free parking

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Hi. GPS coordinates are:
N43.367760
W1.821090