Has anyone installed the New Motorhome App yet? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If on Android and you see a prompt to install it, you can do so. It will then behave just like any other app on your phone, it will notify you about stuff, you'll always be logged in etc. This is not an App like you get at the App Store even though it behaves just like one. This is what's known as a PWA a (progressive web app). Essentially the app is our website wrapped in an invisible app wrapper, there is no browser, it feels just like an app you bought from the store. It's really fast and has other benefits. Did you know Twitter and Pinterest are PWA's?

One company though does not like PWA's Anyone guess which one? Yes you were right, Apple don't like PWA's because you can get them without going to their store which means they don't get their 30% cut

You can still use our PWA on Apple machines but not with a safari browser. I am using the app now on my Mac. I installed it using the Chrome browser, then dragged it from the Chrome apps area to my dock, there it is showing me I have 24 unread PMs

1607179151467.png

It's not essential to use it, and we make our site work really well in any browser, so its pretty much unnecessary for most But if you fancy it as an app on your phone, and want to give the app a go, feel free (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If on Android and you see a prompt to install it, you can do so. It will then behave just like any other app on your phone, it will notify you about stuff, you'll always be logged in etc. This is not an App like you get at the App Store even though it behaves just like one. This is what's known as a PWA a (progressive web app). Essentially the app is our website wrapped in an invisible app wrapper, there is no browser, it feels just like an app you bought from the store. It's really fast and has other benefits. Did you know Twitter and Pinterest are PWA's?

One company though does not like PWA's Anyone guess which one? Yes you were right, Apple don't like PWA's because you can get them without going to their store which means they don't get their 30% cut

You can still use our PWA on Apple machines but not with a safari browser. I am using the app now on my Mac. I installed it using the Chrome browser, then dragged it from the Chrome apps area to my dock, there it is showing me I have 24 unread PMs

View attachment 446437

It's not essential to use it, and we make our site work really well in any browser, so its pretty much unnecessary for most But if you fancy it as an app on your phone, and want to give the app a go, feel free (y)
Where is it?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't have an Android Phone, but on an Android tablet I clicked the hamburger top left and and the very bottom was the option to install. On my mac in a chrome Browser, ther was a little + sign far right of the URL window next to the little bookmark star.

On an iPhone even using Chrome I can't see an install, barstewards that they are

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I was wondering if there's a setting which allows it to open on e.g. 'What's New' tab?

Wyn

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I found it but needed to unlock the home screen in settings before it could install properly

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
I don't have an Android Phone, but on an Android tablet I clicked the hamburger top left and and the very bottom was the option to install. On my mac in a chrome Browser, ther was a little + sign far right of the URL window next to the little bookmark star.

On an iPhone even using Chrome I can't see an install, barstewards that they are
Got it 👍

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Installed, but if it had been installed by someone else I wouldn't have known.
Identical to the URL version.

Except no browser and it behaves just like an app with notifications etc. Yes PWAs are not stripped down versions of a website, they are the website.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
App installed and working with no issues on Moto One Vision Mobile running Android 10.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just installed it and it works.

Will give it a trial and report back. :)

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Younger users of the internet don't use a browser to get to you tube or facebook or their bank, or to find news or their favourite blog, or read a mag. They use apps.

They find the users like us who use a browser to find a site and then use a password to log in as quite quaint. :D Apps are taking over the internet and we are just keeping our hand in. Keeping this the best place for Motorhome Enthusiasts of all kinds, young, old, fun-loving and miserable :D

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Cookies, hamburgers and pappajohn doesn't seem happy with it, I'm in.

Done.

Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp
All good here 👍can you not 'preview' now or is there a longer editing window? Cheers

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Still can't find a collapsed menu or a hamburger.

Nokia 5 phone. Anyone got a four year old I can borrow??
three horizontal lines on the top bar in your browser window on the phone in which you are reading the motorhome fun website

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back