Has anyone had their van weight checked when in Europe? (1 Viewer)

mrhappydog

Free Member
Dec 30, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner IT728G
Exp
I wondered if the weight is ever checked? I have met so many people who (like me) hurtle through France and Spain weighing a bit more than the 3500 kg that the weight my van is meant to be.
Can anyone tell me please if they have been stopped and weighed? Also what happens afterwards. Thanks.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
This is not the Law.
But it is belueved no action would be taken up to 3850 kg
Over that unload excess and €90 fine.
That is what every Belgium believes.
I dont want to be the one to test it.
So I am always within my limit:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This is not the Law.
But it is belueved no action would be taken up to 3850 kg
Over that unload excess and €90 fine.
That is what every Belgium believes.
I dont want to be the one to test it.
So I am always within my limit:)
90€ is a bargain !(y)
That's ok if max weight is 3500kgs, Wouldn't apply to me as mine is 2350kgs.:LOL:
Last weighbridge for testing & weighing I saw in Spain ( up near Zaragoza/Huesca ), was ideal for an overnight as it obviously hadn't been used since the crisis started ! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Mel

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I was replying to the OP he said his was 3500
They say 10% but I dont know anyone who had this done

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I had mine checked by French police when the Duane stopped me just after a toll near Tours. I was under weight and had no contraband. They only spoke French to us while looking around. Checked all cupboards etc. Then as we prepared to drive away the "boss", an attractive young lady said, in perfect English "nice van is it an English manufacturer".

mc136

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
preston
Funster No
MH
hymer b654sl
Exp
im a newbie
We were stopped in France in august at tolls and weighed 200 kgs over (oops lesson learnt) fined €90 and sent on our way, just think of it as a French tax the officer said.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't worry about being stopped and weighed, worry about WIM instead. :whistle::D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never been stopped but we always seemed to be about 100kg over, so upgraded to 3850, just one less thing to worry about and can get on and enjoy our holidays.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We were stopped in France in august at tolls and weighed 200 kgs over (oops lesson learnt) fined €90 and sent on our way, just think of it as a French tax the officer said.
Not wishing to be pedantic, but once sent on your way, weren't you were still 200kgs over?
I understand in the UK any excess weight has to be removed before being able to move on.
Or is it as stated, a French tax?

mc136

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
preston
Funster No
MH
hymer b654sl
Exp
im a newbie
We were indeed still 200 kgs over, the police officer said he could make us start unloading but he didn't. I wasnt going to argue, next time remember not to go overboard on the wine at Calais!

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Myself and a mate got pulled just south of Limoges whilst heading north on the free motorway, they were pulling all motorhomes and wagons.
They took us off to a special area where they have a weighbridge, there was quite a queue waiting and they were obviously having problems with an old scrap wagon so the police officer walked down the line looking at every vehicle and just waved both of us out and around the wagons so off we shot breathing a sigh of releif

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
IMV its not the fine you need to worry about ... if you have an accident ... your insurance might not pay out!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Never been checked, but I can't remember where it was, there was a sign that said 'Stop obligatory > 3.5t', so I dutifully followed the signs only to end up at a checkpoint that was shut! From that point on I have ignored the signs.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We visit our Local Weighbridge before starting a longish trip, thats when we are more likely to be nearing the MAX. Here in Totana we have many to choose from, just pull on, insert the required coinage and get a print out.
Last week whilst returning home from a 4 month tour, we knew we could be near the max 35oo kg, or perhaps a tad over, pulled on, inserted the 50 cent and WOW................3460 kg that was a suprise to both of us.
So why bother, well when Mr Guardia Civil stops us, and says they are doing spot checks, as they sometimes do,I produce a current ticket, this could save us time sitting in a queue and giving them a reason to do further checks,
up to now never been stopped for these checks, but when we are are, we are ready, and totally agree with previous posting regarding Safety and fuel economy also.

Deleted User
Also handling and braking can be affected! Personally think it's an irresponsible attitude to drive an overweight vehicle......

Safety margins!!!

Never even used to prosecute until you were 10 per cent over(***** tablet doesn't seem to have per cent symbol!)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Safety margins!!!

Never even used to prosecute until you were 10 per cent over(***** tablet doesn't seem to have per cent symbol!)

If on a heavy chassis no effect. But when I had a light chassis coachbuilt, the effect of being overloaded was horrible

Deleted User
If on a heavy chassis no effect. But when I had a light chassis coachbuilt, the effect of being overloaded was horrible

In my opinion, based on some experience,if 200kg(6% on 3500k chassis) makes such a difference to the handling etc then the vehicle is under engineered and inherently unsafe.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We visit our Local Weighbridge before starting a longish trip, thats when we are more likely to be nearing the MAX. Here in Totana we have many to choose from, just pull on, insert the required coinage and get a print out.
Last week whilst returning home from a 4 month tour, we knew we could be near the max 35oo kg, or perhaps a tad over, pulled on, inserted the 50 cent and WOW................3460 kg that was a suprise to both of us.
So why bother, well when Mr Guardia Civil stops us, and says they are doing spot checks, as they sometimes do,I produce a current ticket, this could save us time sitting in a queue and giving them a reason to do further checks,
up to now never been stopped for these checks, but when we are are, we are ready, and totally agree with previous posting regarding Safety and fuel economy also.

50c !!!!!!!!! 1 € here !!

& the reverse is equally true. Unladen vehicles are very 'skittish Especially commercials.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
In my opinion, based on some experience,if 200kg(6% on 3500k chassis) makes such a difference to the handling etc then the vehicle is under engineered and inherently unsafe.

It's dependent on lots of things, layout, rear overhang, loading.... bikes on rear rack on as long overhang, front being to light...whatever

It's why I prefer a wheel in each corner

Deleted User
It's dependent on lots of things, layout, rear overhang, loading.... bikes on rear rack on as long overhang, front being to light...whatever

It's why I prefer a wheel in each corner

Can't argue with that, from what I have seen, gross overloading of the rear axle is the most common and the most dangerous but seems almost inevitable with the huge overhangs on many motor homes.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can't argue with that, from what I have seen, gross overloading of the rear axle is the most common and the most dangerous but seems almost inevitable with the huge overhangs on many motor homes.

Do you not think 200kg overweight will effect braking? Anything unfortunate happerned your insurance could very well have an excuse not to pay out. And if found a contributary factor to serious injury..would you be happy with that. Far eaier to be responsible and clued up

At least if you upgrade you know your within vans capabilities if you load sensibly

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I was under the impression that when you go to get your van uprated to 3.8 or whatever, it is only a paper exercise. That being the case a couple of hundered kilo over 3,5 shouldn't give a major braking or handeling problem, if it did then surely it would be more than a paper excersie.
The only problems I see in that case is you have to limit your speed, check you licence is one that allows you to drive a vehicle over 3.5 and it also restricts you from driving down certain roads in some towns

Deleted User
Agree totally with being responsible and knowing your actual weights and limits.

Any weight on a vehicle will have some effect on the braking performance of a vehicle, simple mechanics, but my experience tells me that 200k over 3500 should not have a drastic effect on the braking performance, the insurance aspects I have no knowledge of.

As you said earlier the most dangerous aspect of overloading is on the rear axle which affects the steering and road holding of the vehicle, many of which are on the design limits anyway.

It seems to me that many motorhome designers and manufacturers primary objective is layout and squeezing the maximum amount of bodywork on the smallest, lightest chassis. Road performance seems sometimes to be a secondary consideration.

I agree with your comment about wheels on the corners and am currently thinking about a small van conversion, the one that you are selling looks superb but is too long for us as it will be our only vehicle. At the moment the favourite is a Romahome R30, some friends have an early model and the design and layout is superb.

The problem that we have to come to terms with is size, we have had a 5'er and now tour in a large'ish caravan so some jettisoning(or relocation) of stuff seems inevitable.

Deleted User
I was under the impression that when you go to get your van uprated to 3.8 or whatever, it is only a paper exercise. That being the case a couple of hundered kilo over 3,5 shouldn't give a major braking or handeling problem, if it did then surely it would be more than a paper excersie.
The only problems I see in that case is you have to limit your speed, check you licence is one that allows you to drive a vehicle over 3.5 and it also restricts you from driving down certain roads in some towns

The paper upgrade would only be available to motorhomes built on an originally higher rated chassis which would have had a design weight of over 3500k.

If the motorhome was built on a chassis with an original design and plated weight of 3500k then modifications would be needed to upgrade.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As has been mentioned already, if your base vehicle is already capable of a higher rate with no modification, such as the Ducato Maxi heavy chassis (16" wheels), it should just be a paper exercise to uprate to 425kg - this is exactly what we did recently using a report from an independent engineer at a cost of £76 instead of the £320 for SVTech! If however its on the standard Ducato chassis (15" wheels) it may not be able to go beyond 3500kg. See the below thread for more info:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...one-done-it-themselves-not-via-svtech.108656/

Dec 3, 2007
bristol
Funster No
MH
fiat autotrail imala 730
Exp
since 2005
we went to the dusseldorf motorhome show a couple of years ago the police had set up a temporary weighbridge to check motorhomes,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back