Has anyone had their motorhome weighed by the police whilst in France (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
120l is actually 120 kilos!
The density of any substance is the mass (in kg) of the substance posessed by unit volume( 1 cubic meter) of the substance. The Density of Water is approximately 1000Kg/m3. Hence converted in litre, density of water becomes 1 Kg/Litre.
yeh but! he said that there about 100kg to save, he still has 20litres.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Water is really heavy.

Why only this weekend I was struggling with a bucket of grey waste trying to tip it in the hedge without my neighbour seeing me.

There was me thinking you were quite a savvy camper !
Them in the know have a waste bucket with a few holes in the bottom making the trip to the hedge un- necessary . ::bigsmile:

Vlad

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Water is heavy :) However in lots of real world tests carried out by me. The difference in MPG with and then without 100kg of water on board is so slight as to not register a difference I notice.

I've read about strictly controlled tests and they do say the heavier you are it can make a big difference if you stop and start a lot or in hilly terrain, but even then, the difference in my experience really is non existent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Wow!
Do you know why they chose you to weigh? Was it part of a campaign at the time? Did they tell you why you were targeted?

No idea whatsoever. Never thought to ask at the time, bearing in mind my brain had gone dead and my bum had come to life!

As we left, they had pulled in a large articulated tanker and were x-raying it.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There was me thinking you were quite a savvy camper !
Them in the know have a waste bucket with a few holes in the bottom making the trip to the hedge un- necessary . ::bigsmile:

Vlad
Cut out the middle man and don't use the bucket. Use it for putting ice in to cool the beer instead..........

........but you might get gassed and be robbed of £2000 cash by leaving the tap open

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Wow!
Do you know why they chose you to weigh? Was it part of a campaign at the time? Did they tell you why you were targeted?
can you ever tell what authority have in mind .
i was once in the line for the ferry at plymouth and customs came round dipping tanks for red .
the one in front of mee definately had red you could see it clearly in the tube they were using .
we were only a few yards from getting on the boat. to leave uk. never know when they will get you.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
My van was weighed about 4 years ago on an aire between nantes and rennes along with a few other vans. Gendarmes waved us in to the sliproad and put my van and my trailer on pads. Took Bout 20 minutes and let us go

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
O.K the obvious but go through everything any thing you do not NEED take out. how much Crockery ....Pot and pans. Do not take anything you can do without. All sorts to look at .... are you going to use the T.V no .......take it out what about microwave? WE manage in our Rapido to keep under 3500 even with the scooter in the garage.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
None the less good idea for OP - do not travel with gray waste full - saves weight. Back on topic.

Why do i think ive gone around in a circle, like everything in life open is best
playboy-model-making-wide-open-legs-pose-24630982.jpg
ooooops gone off track,topic,mind

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Just read Jims posting must close waste water valve and test mpg see if it makes any difference. keep watching this post as my test may prove beyond doubt that dump valves open saves fuel:LOL::LOL::LOL: oooooops meant :mask::mask::mask::mask:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well I just hope your Greasy waste water ( it always contains some slippery ingredient) if being dumped on the highway doesn't cause another motorist grief:(
Ha, gotcha! Check out the fishing smiley ;)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just read Jims posting must close waste water valve and test mpg see if it makes any difference. keep watching this post as my test may prove beyond doubt that dump valves open saves fuel:LOL::LOL::LOL: oooooops meant :mask::mask::mask::mask:
See, I knew there was a good reason to leave it open, saved me mucho ££££££££££ that has, must be true 'cos Jim sed so innitt.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
YES WE HAVE!

We were pulled over on the French Autoroute, (toll/peage), between Perpignan and Narbonne. This was in June 2010. The van, at the time, was 9 months old.

We had to follow a police car to an Aire, (picnic type, which was closed), where our van was x-rayed, searched and weighed. This took 1hr 10 minutes. Each axle was weighed on portable pads and fortunately we were within limits and allowed to go, but a very scary experience. We make sure now that we are never over weight either here in the UK or on the continent.

Our van was x-rayed by an "HCV" mobile machine and we had to vacate the van while it was done. During this I asked if I could take a photograph and was told that I could. Photo below. Mrs Ludo is in the foreground, to the left. They told us that there were bikes and bottles in the garage before they asked me to open it.

Don't risk it, it isn't worth it!
That X-ray machine is very similar one they use in Morocco to scan all vehicles before you board the ferry back to Spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back