Has anyone got / used one of these jump starter packs?? (1 Viewer)

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Evening. Has anyone got or used one of these with success?? I'm toying with the idea of getting one for those occasions that I'm in the middle of nowhere with no access to a donor vehicle for normal jump leads / a long way from recovery services. Sort of thing that you hope you never need to use but ................

Do you connect to the battery terminal (as per the instructions that come with the device) or can you connect to the remote positive and earth?

<Broken link removed>

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
I have had 2 each time I charged them and put them in the car/van for a few months 6 plus I think šŸ¤” when I came to use 1 time for the person next door , flat as a pancake nothing from it and wouldnā€™t charge again. Same happened to the second one also. Just my luck I suppose šŸ‘šŸ˜·

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Brand new fully charged would not turn a Fiesta engine over, so if you have some rice puddings with skin on the top......
However it is excellent for recharging phones ect and as a torch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'd think the weight and cost would be better spent elsewhere. Make sure you've got good batteries and alternators and don't leave it uncharged for months at a time (starting it up for 20 minutes is not the same as charging it).

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Iā€™ve used mine with great success . Need to make sure itā€™s the correct size for the engine you are trying to start. Itā€™s been really useful during the lockdowns with cars being sat on the drive and batteries going flat . It can also be used as a usb battery pack to charge phones etc šŸ‘šŸ». Certainly doesnā€™t take up much room . Will post a picture of mine later but seems very similar to the one you have linked

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not that this helps but when I was doing breakdown work we had battery packs in the vans. They had a wet battery in them so luging them up multi-storey car parks was a right pain.
Some of our vans had 12/24 volt boost start sockets to plug the jump start cables in to. One of guys said he had found a cure for starting a Citrone 2CV. He used the 24 volts socket. It may have started it but what damage it did is not worth thinking about.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
If a vehicle battery is really, totally, flat, few jump starters are going to get the thing going. Even traditional jump leads from another vehicle will have difficulty. It may be your power pack did have juice in it, but the recipient vehicle was that fubar, it wasn't going to be enough without special measures.

You may get lucky if you can leave the jump starter attached for a few minutes, before then trying to turn the engine over. Frequently the modern vehicle has so many other electronics that need to power up, before the starter is engaged, that without the engine battery having some charge, those other electronics are off. Some of the jump starter packs, like Noco have a manual override for when the vehicle is totally flat, to try and overcome some of the sensing problems.

OP
OP
Skez
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Buy a trickle charger and jump leads works for me.
Yes but unfortunately my storage is undercover without hook-up, and as it's indoors my solar hasn't helped.

To be fair, unless we are locked down again (please no!!) I don't anticipate the van lying idle for months on end as it has since November!!

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Get a noco unit I have one and have used it at work to start some of the forklifts if there batteries are flat it's a great piece of kit can also charge phones and laptops from it, and yes you hook it up in the engine compartment not the battery

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
MSC Overland Plus is one my essential piece of kit to carry in the car and then transfer to the boat. My youngest buffoon put me onto it as he carries one in his van as a marine engineer to power his diagnostic kit and start engines with drained overwintered starter batteries. Charges phones and Laptops and will start big old diesel lumps. Well reviewed too.

Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Basically chargers are a bit smart these days and need a bit of feedback that they are actually connected up to a Battery and not just a lump of metal to protect themselves from self destruction. If you have a totaly dead battery pushing out nothing a battery charger will not recognise it as a battery.
However if you connect a working battery to the dead one with jump leads the donor battery will usually feed enough current into it over a few hours for it then to be recognised as a battery to the smart charger and it will then start its conditioning and charging duties.(y)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would be happy waiting for my breakdown insurance.
If you found your way there I'm sure they can.

Simonp3115

Free Member
Nov 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
2002 Swift Gazelle F
Exp
I'm a Newbie (Been a camper for 40 years)
I have had one for years. Fantastic bit of kit. Got it from Halfords. I don't go anywhere without it.
If your Bty is hard to get at then try- Red onto spare Post on the alternator. Black onto an earth. Switch on the power pack and wait a cpl of mins to energise the relays, then go for a start.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
I have a NOKO battery pack small and very very powerful have jumped several vans on campsites with totally flat batteries, also used it to jumpstart one of the 3 ton forklifts at work after xmas shutdown great piece of kit not heavy either , i just top it up when driving every 3 months .

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
To be honest I am the same with a spare wheel.
I consider that if I've not needed one in 20 years I'm unlikely to ever need one.
Plus I happy to wait for the breakdown service

Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I have a NOKO battery pack small and very very powerful have jumped several vans on campsites with totally flat batteries, also used it to jumpstart one of the 3 ton forklifts at work after xmas shutdown great piece of kit not heavy either , i just top it up when driving every 3 months .
Agreed, just such a neat compact little powerhouse which serves so many uses, to simply pop in ones glovebox and only needing the occasional top up from the ciggy plug when on the move.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back