Has anyone ever wired the WC to be used when driving? (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Yes, I know its against the law to use the toilet while driving (well, not actually, the law is broken when someone is effectively travelling without wearing a seatbelt, so even walking around breaks the law)

BUT we do it sometimes in traffic jams, hold ups etc. :xblink:

so i wondered if anyone had wired their toilet up so it could be used while the ignition is on/engine is running? i know alternatives exist, ie using bottled water to flush or not even flushing at all.

how difficult was it, knowing that the 12v in the hab area is disconnected when driving, would it be simpler just to provide 12v power to the hab area by altering the wiring? or is it not that simple?

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
My older continental van ,all hab facilities can be used when in motion ,but driving and having a wee wee would be stretching it a bit :xgrin:
LOL, in my case it would mean stretching it a lot …..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Change the van. Many do not suffer such restrictions.
Ouch !!!!! wouldn't you consider that rather excessive for a minor issue?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I let one of these steer while I’m using the bog? on ours it works as long as water pump is switched on.
A88DC9D7-DD62-4809-A4FF-D6238DD21738.jpeg

JJ20

Free Member
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
What's the world coming to, people are too busy to stop for 5 minutes for a poo. I wouldn't fancy being thrown off the toilet in harsh braking or whilst standing going for a widdle.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes, I know its against the law to use the toilet while driving (well, not actually, the law is broken when someone is effectively travelling without wearing a seatbelt, so even walking around breaks the law)

Has the law changed then? It didnt used to be a requirement to wear a seatbelt in the back of a MH.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Be just my luck stuck on M25 in a queue. Go for a number 2 and the traffic starts to move. I have a seat belt fitted on the loo due to eating lots of beans?

Last edited:

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Yes it is possible and an easy fix at that, all you lose is your auto retract on your electric step.
See investigate the thread below ... where it has been dicussed previously, I'm sure this will help

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Only on Brit vans all other vans the hab electrics are on when driving, a stupid idea from caravan manufacturers.
You just need to bypass the relay that turns the electrics off when the engine is running.
Mine is a british PVC and hab electric is on whilst driving.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
What you mean?? The toilet is not meant to work while driving? Who knew! Thank goodness ours does, when Colin is on a mission and driving for hours, he won't stop........unless he wants a pee!

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Has the law changed then? It didnt used to be a requirement to wear a seatbelt in the back of a MH.
It changed a long time ago! For any motorhome fitted with seatbelts they must be worn.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

BUT we do it sometimes in traffic jams, hold ups etc. :xblink:

so i wondered if anyone had wired their toilet up so it could be used while the ignition is on/engine is running? i know alternatives exist, ie using bottled water to flush or not even flushing at all.

how difficult was it, knowing that the 12v in the hab area is disconnected when driving, would it be simpler just to provide 12v power to the hab area by altering the wiring? or is it not that simple?

Yes, I wired in a relay from a permanent 12v which when a switch is operated powers the loo, water pump and light circuits.

Deleted User
The law only requies seatbelts to be worn on forward facing seats, and the blade on ours is manual.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
What happens on holiday buses, are passengers told not to use the loo?
Same with walking about while travelling, after all urban buses don't have seat belts or toilets but people still get up and move about the bus.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Are you sure about the forward facing seat thing? That would be reet handy as I can swivel my cludgy to face backwards. HUSSAR!!!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
What exactly doesn’t work?

we have a fully functioning macerating loo, even when driving, but don’t the rest of you just have a manual slide valve to dump?

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
What happens on holiday buses, are passengers told not to use the loo?
Same with walking about while travelling, after all urban buses don't have seat belts or toilets but people still get up and move about the bus.

We were warned about this when we went on a coach tour a couple of years ago. The tour guide stated she would not be coming up and down the coach when it was moving as one of her colleagues had been killed then the bus braked sharply and she was thrown down the coach and through the windscreen. She also advised us to always wear a seat belt and not to move about unless absolutely necessary.

Many years ago my sister ended up in casualty after a bus braked sharply.

Just because you can does not mean it is safe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back