Has anyone else seen these adverts something very fishy (1 Viewer)

kaz

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
total newbie
Hi

My husband and I are about to buy our very first campervan. I keep seeing adverts on autotrader for 2011 plate vw T5 transporters for £6,100. Ive seen this several time and reported the last one as the same vehicle was advertised in several places.

I am assuming that these a bogus adverts. So with that in mind we are looking for a VW T5 in or around the Essex area. Would you have any recommendations for good sales sites. Im looking for a used one in the region of £16,000. Thank you

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Be very wary as there are sooooo many scams out there for motorhomes, if it looks too good to be true, then it is :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaz

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
total newbie
Funny 2 minutes after writing this it disappeared again. It makes me sooo nervous parting with our money. The problem is there aren't many vw campers for sale down here in the south they seem to all be up north. I think we are a load of workaholics down here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
never ever pay a penny till you have inspected the motorhome at the address on the V5 and done a HPI check, there are so many normally foreign nationals running scams to catch the greedy or unwary. if its too cheap its generally a scammer

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaz

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
total newbie
Haha thanks guys just seen on here on one of the forums some poor woman paid some money as they offered to deliver the van that has happened to me this week when I enquired about a van they offered to drive it down from Scotland for £100. They obviously think Im stupid. Im not. Thank you so much for the website I will take a good look.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They are always a scam.

Never part with money, even as a deposit, until you have seen the vehicle at the registered address.
Check the details on the log book (V5c) against the actual vehicle.

A common scam is along the lines....I'm in the army stationed in (wherever) and the van is in (invariably) Scotland but my appointed agent will deliver the van to your address for your approval once the payment has been cleared.

Of course the van will never appear and your cash will disappear.

Edit..just seen your last post re. Scotland delivery.

Also....many vans for sale are subject to outstanding finance.
Worth the few quid to get an HPI check done to find out and the insurance history.....could be a right off and practically uninsureable

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You will have to put the miles in I'm afraid. Never ever let them bring the vehicle to you or meet them half way etc. never transfer money without being with the vehicle. We picked ours up and used BACS to pay for it there and then.
Good hunting (y)

Upvote 0

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I am afraid that from experience you do have to put the miles in for the right van. Our last motorhome on a private sale was 200 miles away.
We have just sold that van and a chap flew in from La Rochelle in France to buy it and went away totally pleased.
Do your homework and you can find the right van.
Good luck (y)

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
They're always a scam.
They're always " in Scotland" and unavailable for viewing before you pay your money.
They offer to deliver and hey, you'll get your money back if you don't like it and they'll take it away--- no they won't. There'll be No vehicle, no refund.

If it's too cheap it's an ad copied from elsewhere---sometimes a hire van.
As PapaJohn says, don't pay a penny until you've seen it, and all its paperwork. Plenty of good vans out there, just takes a bit of work and patience. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I have posted a similar topic about scams on Gumtree. Panel vans being offered for a fraction of true value. All these adverts had the same profile - the van was being sold on behalf of someone and on the photos gives an email address to contact for more information - the contact telephone numbers tend to finish with 0000.
I emailed one of them for further details and they sent info about a completely different van and they offered to deliver it free of charge as the previous buyer had dropped out but had already paid the transport costs.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Never part with any money until the vehicle is verified. If there is outstanding finance, you will be liable for the payments, so do an HPI check.
I always do an HPI check and on one vehicle I was interested in, it had outstanding finance. I told the seller, and he stumbled and said he was going to pay off the finance when I had given him the money............no sale.

Craig

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back